Souths not out to 'hurt' any NRL player

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Related article:

NRL needs to get a grip on scourge of wrestling as South Sydney push the limits

August 22, 2014 - 1:59AM
Andrew Webster
Chief Sports Writer, The Sydney Morning Herald

"Make me spew".

These are the words Michael Maguire has been known to tell members of his coaching staff from time to time.

He doesn't want to technicolour yawn in a Mad Monday sense, but in the gym or on the training paddock, pushing his 40-year-old body to its limits.

It's his way of earning respect and admiration from his players. As anyone at Redfern will tell you, the coach still seems fit enough to play, even if parts of his body won't allow it.

His mentor at Melbourne, Craig Bellamy, has employed the same motivational tactic over the years. So, too, Des Hasler, and even Wayne Bennett, who walked into the Dragons' gym on his first day and bench-pressed more weight than his lanky body should permit.

Where Maguire sets himself apart, though, are the wrestling sessions.

Maguire is fascinated with wrestling. He's a student of wrestling.

So much so that he does it alongside his players, teaching them the so-called dark art that is again raising the ire of past and present players, rival coaches, fans and, not least, the match review committee.

In the past fortnight, Souths have taken a grip on the premiership with wins over Manly and Brisbane, but it's their chicken wings and crusher tackles that are starting to dominate discussion.

There can be no mistake: the Rabbitohs are going to wrestle their way to their first premiership since 1971 – or wrestle their way out of it.

Click here to read the full article at smh.com.au

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4