Souths not out to 'hurt' any NRL player

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
South Sydney say they are not deliberately attempting to maim opponents as the focus on their controversial wrestling tactics intensifies three weeks out from the NRL finals.

Read More

South Sydney say they are not deliberately attempting to maim opponents as the focus on their controversial wrestling tactics intensifies three weeks out from the NRL finals.

Manly's Ste
George+Burgess+George+Burgess+Appears+NRL+feej3oeDwqml1.jpg
ve Matai and Brisbane's Sam Thaiday have suffered injuries attributed to the Rabbitohs' defensive techniques in successive weeks, with Ben Te'o hit with a four-week ban for his effort on the former Broncos' skipper.

Seven Souths players have been involved in incidents identified by the NRL judiciary as involving unnecessary pressure in tackles this year.

The Rabbitohs' tackling tactics have drawn further attention in some quarters after coach Michael Maguire's time as an assistant with Melbourne several years ago when wrestling techniques were first honed in the NRL.

But forward Jason Clark says Souths don't want to cross the line between fair and foul play.

"When we train for defence, you never want to hurt anyone," he told AAP.

"17 blokes take the field expecting to walk off it the same way they come on, and that is the way the game is. You never go out in a game wanting to intentionally hurt someone. I would hope no team would do that.

"We play a physical game and, when someone gets in that position, it is hard and we are working on ways to cut that out to fix that up, so we are taking little steps and we will work on it, just being safer."

With the banning of the shoulder charge, the stringent concussion rules and the crackdown on dangerous throws, the NRL has moved to make the game safer and Clark says that is a good thing.

"It is a physical game; there are three or four blokes in a tackle. You just have to try and find a way for everyone to be safe in that tackle," he said.

"Just making sure you are not putting pressure on the neck, making sure they are going to the ground safely.

"The NRL have done well to stop the lifting and that has been cut out of the game quite well and we just have to try and cut out and look after ourselves and do tackles right.

"Everyone trains for defence - we just have to look at the way we do it."
James MacSmith

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/souths-not-out-to-hurt-any-nrl-player-20140819-3dym7.html

Related articles:

We're not coached to hurt, Bunnies forward Jason Clark says of wrestling tactics

August 19, 2014 - 6:35PM
Adrian Proszenko

South Sydney forward Jason Clark is adamant his side is not coached to injure opponents after five Rabbitohs were cited for wrestling manoeuvres in just two games.

The foundation club has again come under scrutiny for its defensive techniques after Ben T'eo was suspended for a chicken wing tackle on Brisbane's Sam Thaiday last Thursday. Teammates Chris McQueen and Kirisome Auva'a were cited for crusher tackles, while George Burgess and Issac Luke have also gained the attention of the match review committee in the past fortnight.

Click here to read the full article.

Cowboy Sims calls for wrestling clean up

August 20, 2014 - 5:05AM
Adrian Warren

North Queensland forward Tariq Sims has called for rugby league's wrestling techniques to be cleaned up, as he prepares to face a South Sydney team whose use of the tactic has generated plenty of controversy.

Seven Souths players have been involved in incidents identified by the NRL judiciary as involving unnecessary pressure in tackles this year.

Manly's Steve Matai and Brisbane's Sam Thaiday have suffered injuries attributed to the Rabbitohs' defensive techniques in successive weeks, with Ben Te'o hit with a four-week ban for his effort on the former Broncos' skipper.

Click here to read the full article.

sheridanstand78 said:
Filthy vermin carbon copy the drizzles dirty tactics. Madge has learnt from the Martina manual.

The NRL are too gutless to stop them too, thats the worst thing.

You mean the National Rabbitohs League don't you @sheridanstand78

And I agree NO CHANCE.....well some chance, that will be AFTER they have won a GF

Win at all costs and bugger the consequences, its something the drizzle do to perfection, the Homebush hares have adopted this strategy and the sad thing is that most of the so called commentators are bewitched by this way of winning.

The abuse of wrestling techniques has become a real blight on the game. I also think the NRL have compounded the problem by prohibiting players from responding to such grubby tactics... I'm not condoning cheap shots but anyone who deliberately tries to pull your arm out of it's socket probably deserves a smack in the mouth.

All you have to do is watch the Matai incident to know it's not a safe technique they're employing. It's good they're copping some scrutiny over it. The refs will be on the lookout (at least they should be).

There's enough circumstantial evidence to make me believe that souffs innocent cry is utter bollocks, and the directive comes from the 'top down.'

No escaped goats here!

The spotlight may be on the vermin for now, but watch out for the drizzle coming at you through the back door, Billy with his kung fu kick to the melon!

1969 said:
The spotlight may be on the vermin for now, but watch out for the drizzle coming at you through the back door, Billy with his kung fu kick to the melon!

Yeah, totally accidental kick to the face of course!

Your point about the players sorting this out is a valid one, the vermin do this cause they know that no one is allowed to throw a punch now.

Could you imagine what Terry Randall would have done to vermin G Burgess, he would have belted him into next week.

The NRL have to stamp this crap out of the game.

The abuse of wrestling techniques has become a real blight on the game. I also think the NRL have compounded the problem by prohibiting players from responding to such grubby tactics... I'm not condoning cheap shots but anyone who deliberately tries to pull your arm out of it's socket probably deserves a smack in the mouth.
[/quote]

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6