1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

some tinkering with the line up,my thoughts

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by sharx, May 1, 2009.

1. sharx

sharx Active Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    lyon to 5/8,bailey to centre(in the steve bell mould).bani out.

2. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    lyon to 5/8, Bailey to back row, Watmough to Warrington.

3. Cletus

Cletus Active Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    I hear Warrington need a new half, they'll consider a straight swap with some bloke called Monaghan.

4. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    at least he could tackle, stick him in the 2nd row :)

5. missing_something

missing_something Active Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    **** that he's just as rubbish why do you think Warrington are happy to see him go.

6. Cletus

Cletus Active Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Yeah but he's half the price of Orford and twice as ****. Maybe I've got a bad memory but I can't remember being this annoyed with Monaghan, at least you knew he was ordinary.

7. ads

ads Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 1
    Bailey has shown nothing, but Lyon looks good every time he has the ball. So either Lyon to 5/8, or would Lyon go alright at fullback so he can insert himself whereever?

8. Central Coast Eagle

Central Coast Eagle Active Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 2
    We can't put Lyon to fullback, he's the only one out there making tackles!

9. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
  10. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    Bailey is looking as good at this time of year as Lyon looked last year. At this stage I have no problem with Bailey at 6 and Lyon in the centres, makes our team better balance imo

I will assume we get McDonnell, who a lot of Tigers fans consider pretty ordinary, but I will run with him

McDonnell
    Robertson
    Matai
    Lyon
    Williams
    Bailey
    Orford
    Kite
    Ballin
    Perry
    Watmough
    Rodney
    Stewart

L'Estrange/Hall
    Rose
    Cuthbertson
    Tony Williams/ Warea-Hargreaves

Would like to see 1 of the young forwards get a go, and am tossing up with letting Ballin play 80 mins and running a big bench

11. DSM5

DSM5 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    Why does Hasler persist in having two hookers on the bench?  He said last week that Ballin was an 80 minutes player so wtf?  Waste of a bench spot imo.

12. Kiwi Eagle

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    They have complemented each other quite well in the past DSM

Last season Ballin was our steady hooker, while heath would come on and be creative and we generally scored more points while he was on the park

It works well when both are in form, but both are not at the moment

13. DSM5

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    They might have complimented each other last season, but can we afford that luxury now?  One or the other should play the full 80.  Maybe there's a part of the problem.  The only consistent thing about the two of them is they're both playing poorly which doesn't help.  If this McDonnell is as ordinary as Tigers fans think, why not use our Qld Cup guy?  Why waste money on purchasing mediocrity?  Get some of the U20s guys in there.  Give us something to talk about rather than losses.  Losses with 2010 hope might be the go now.       

14. Kiwi Eagle

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    There is a lot of talk about bringing the young chaps in DSM, I am not so sure. Bringing a heap in at once could see a series of big floggings and destroy the confidence of them. Is a fine balancing act

I will point out, that with all the talk of throwing young fella's in to see how they go, Siniula and Neumann were 2 examples of inexperienced guys that have played this season, and both were hammered on here for their efforts

15. Daring Eagle

Daring Eagle Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I said that Bani should have gone age's ago. Bring in Big Jared then see how he handles himself. Switch Hall and Rodney

16. DSM5

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    Kiwi, I could debate whether Neumann is an 'inexperienced' player and really, Siniula is no better or worse than Bani, so I'd play him to see if he could improve.  Bani, in my opinion, is just not up to NRL standard.  His defense is diabolical and he is constantly out of position in attack.  .  I'd bring in the big Williams and just play him into condition alongside Matai.  What a pairing.  Look towards 2010 and avoiding the spoon.  This years comp is realistically gorn.  A  top eight finish is very slim. 

17. Cameron

Cameron Cambo Premium Member

Redcliffe
    Ratings:
    +662 / 35
    Bani's defence and positional play is poor at best
    i think we should look at releasing him to free up money to keep wolf and Robbo.

Des is known for his loyalty to players and has rarely dropped a player in 5.5 years as coach this may change soon i feel

Im gonna post 2 teams one based on my perception of Des' loyalty and one based on what id like to see
    What des should do
    Shannon McDonnell
    Robbo
    Matai
    Bailey
    Wolf
    Lyon
    Orford
    Kite
    Ballin
    Perry
    Watmough
    Rodney
    Stewart
    Bench
    King
    Cutho
    Heath
    Hall

What id like to see
    Mcdonnell
    robbo
    Matai
    Lyon
    Wolf
    Foran
    Orford
    Kite
    Ballin
    Perry
    Cutho
    Watmough
    Stewart
    Bench
    Rodney
    King
    Jared
    Bailey/rose

Ive really gone off hall hes really dropped off imo
    As for foran if hes good enough hes old enough

18. DSM5

Ratings:
    +516 / 0
    Keep Hall, he's inexpensive and as good or better than Princess.  I can't see what value Orford brings to the team.  He's indecisive in attack, hogs the ball, can't kick and is old. (for a footballer).  And I can't see the value in buying a discard from the Tiggers.  He's third in line there so don't have much confidence in his ability.  Pick the guy from our Qld reggies.  You don't have a spot for Big Williams Cliffy? 

19. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,798 / 122
    Really? The trade in discards is a growth industry in these salary cap times.

How about most of the players who got us to the last 2 grand finals? Really, apart from Kennedy, Kite, Ox, Bell, and Lyon, I don't think any of the other additions have been the subject of intense bidding wars. Even Perry was a discard. Hall. Wolfman.

Perry and Wolf are discards who have since become internationals. Personally I like a good discard, you can often pick up a bargain.

20. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    ser, the discards you mention all finished the year with their clubs (with the exception of Lyon)

what is being talked about is a different kettle of fish.