Solo Sailor Jessica Watson Collision

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ssar

Bencher
News a.m. 09/09/09:

"A TEENAGE girl attempting to sail solo around the world has had to turn back less than 24 hours into the voyage after running into a bulk carrier."

http://wl.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,26047924-3102,00.html

"Watson's yacht, Ella's Pink Lady, hit a ship off Stradbroke Island about 2.30am, 15 hours after the 16-year-old set off from Mooloolaba, The ABC reports.

The teenager was uninjured in the incident, involving a bulk carrier 15 nautical miles east of the island.
Her yacht has sustained damage.

Watson was able to phone her parents and start her vessel's engine. She is on her way back to Southport."

OUCH.

If she couldn't safely avoid a massive ship only a handful of nautical miles from her hometown, I shudder to think what kind of trouble she could have gotten herself into out in the wide open ocean.

On the other hand, if there was any place somewhat suitable to run into something, that's not far off as it's pretty handy to rescue/marine authorities if needed, repair facilities & her home :p

its a big ****ing ocean.....how do you hit a ship that size?

Reports that Jessica failed to keep a proper lookout due to:
a) Texting while at the wheel, or
b) Being so engrossed in her facebook/myspace on her laptop belowdecks,
Are unsubstantiated.

Good on her I say, for having a go at a solo trip of a lifetime, for someone who obviously loves sailing & the ocean.

I probably would not let my daughter do it when so young, though.

And I find it strange that she often says "we" when posting on her blog presumably referring to Ella's Pink Lady + herself, rather than using "I".
Has there been any other discussion about this?

Anyway, she can do it, and I hope she does.
Sure, she's gonna cop some real nasty ocean conditions at times – she would know this, and be as prepared as possible.

And surely she has learnt a critical lesson with her tanker collision – I seem to recall she neglected to have some auto-warning equipment on or something. Let's hope she stays on the ball from here on.

If she gets a bit of luck with minimal equipment failure, flotsam & jetsam, certain weather systems etc. she has a good chance of completing a fantastic circumnavigation of our planet.

Oh, and her website and blog is here: http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/

If she pulls it off she's a hero.  If she doesn't her parents will be burned at the stake.  She can't lose really.

I hope she pulls it off.

She'll probably run into the continental United States.

And yes I know her projected course goes nowhere near there.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6