Soaring Sea Eagles about to fall from the sky

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

lismore_fan

Bencher
http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/01/17/soaring-sea-eagles-about-to-fall-from-the-sky/

By BobbyBouche, 17 Jan 2015 BobbyBouche is a Roar Rookie New author!

Since reentering the competition following the Northern Eagles debacle, the Manly Sea Eagles have entertained the crowds, won several premierships and been consistent final contenders.

They are the team that everyone loves to hate but defy the haters with success. That will all change in 2015.

Much was made of the ‘culture’ of Manly in 2014, as the cracks started to show and soon the boardroom war spilled onto the streets. Eventually the Penn family made their move and now all is good at Brookvale.

Manly have a new CEO, a united board and are ready to win a grand final in 2015.

Don’t believe it.

Manly are masters of spin, with none better than their coach Geoff Toovey. Toovey is a much-maligned character – you either love him or hate him (much like Manly). Before the Penn takeover, talk was Toovey could possibly be on his way out, but that never eventuated.

All in all probably a good thing, but I digress as that’s all history and hearsay.

The fact is this: Manly are an ageing team and missed a golden opportunity to do a Parramatta-style clean-out and launch the careers of some potential superstars. This would have also saved them a lot of cash, which would open the doors for recruitment of more fresh faces.

No doubt in my mind they should have let Brett Stewart go to Parramatta or Canberra as they would then have had the opportunity to bring through Clinton Gutherson, who is a very good prospect.

Instead an ageing and injury prone ‘Snake’ will stop the progression of this young man and drag out every last cent he can from Manly for the next few years. The same can be said of Steve Matai to a degree, and the drama of ‘will they or won’t they stay’ starring Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran doesn’t help.

On the positive side they got rid of an under-performing Glenn Stewart to Souths and said goodbye to Anthony Watmough, who was a very unhappy camper. But to replace them Manly recruit an ancient Willie Mason well past his best, and a man who is yet to reach his potential (if ever) in Feleti Mateo.

While the club is strong in the halves, the rest of the key members of the backline are ready to fall apart due to age and injuries. The forward pack looks good on paper but are old in key positions, with Mason and 31-year-old Matt Ballin leading the way on that front.

I am certainly not convinced Manly have the key reserves in place, ready to play first grade when injury does strike. Loyalty is a fantastic and rare commodity in the NRL, but Manly have been too loyal to some players.

The Sea Eagles are due to become the West Indies cricket team of the NRL, hanging on to ageing, out-of-form, injury-prone players until they can play no more and then expecting untested youngsters to suddenly play at NRL level.

Breaks my heart as a Manly fan to watch this, but our fall will be swift and violent and will take years to recover from.

The start of this fall is 2015.

Water sucks

we have 13 players who are 25 or younger

The hypocrisy in his line - manly should be like parra and get rid of our older players.... we got rid of an old player in choc to parra.

Manly will finish higher on the table than parra.

Who is this COK HOLDER Bobby Bouche .
He needs to cum clean on who he is and not hide and play with himself in his hidden corner lol

That was a funny read. He said that we have some great young players coming through like Gutherson but further in the piece he says that we have no depth to cover injuries to players like Stewart. Make your mind up Bobby which one is it, depth or no depth.

Keep riding the club we have been down before and if all falls apart(which it will not) we will fight our way back to the top again . We have been spoilt supporting a great club that gets results.

You sure this is not Rothtool in disguise? Its always amusing to read fantasy first thing on a Sunday morning! For all the doom and gloom that this fella spouts there is some truth. A club has to re-generate for sustainable success and sometimes that means hard decisions have to be made.
At the moment the club is a prisoner in relation to future recruitment waiting on 2 guys to make a decision about their futures. This has to be sorted soon for the good of the club one way or another!

Ageing team??????????????
Brett Stewart 29
Jorge Taufua 23
Jamie Lyon 32
Steve Matai 30
Peta Hiku 22
Kieran Foran 24
DCE 24
Jamie Buhrer 24
Jesse Sene Lefao 24
Dunamis Lui 24
Feleti Mateo 30
Willie Mason 34
Josh Starling 24
Brenton Lawrence 30
Tyson Andrews 24
Jake Trbojevic 20
Matt Ballin 30
Jayden Hodges 21
Cheyse Blair 22
Michael Chee-kam 22
Clinton Gutherson 20
James Hasson 22
Blake Leary
Jack Littlejohn 23
Justin Horo 29
Delroy Berryman 21
Uiti Baker 20
Ligi Sao 22
Siosaia Vave 25
Tom Trbojevic 18
Tony Satini 21
Brayden Williame 22
Wolfman 29
Blake Leary 24

Another keyboard hero trying to destabilize our club.

Is this De$' pseudonym and his little dabble as an amateur Journo?

Will he eat his words and apologize to Tooves when we end up in the top 4 again?

-

Ageing team??????????????
Brett Stewart 29
Jorge Taufua 23
Jamie Lyon 32
Steve Matai 30
Peta Hiku 22
Kieran Foran 24
DCE 24
Jamie Buhrer 24
Jesse Sene Lefao 24
Dunamis Lui 24
Feleti Mateo 30
Willie Mason 34
Josh Starling 24
Brenton Lawrence 30
Tyson Andrews 24
Jake Trbojevic 20
Matt Ballin 30
Jayden Hodges 21
Cheyse Blair 22
Michael Chee-kam 22
Clinton Gutherson 20
James Hasson 22
Blake Leary
Jack Littlejohn 23
Justin Horo 29
Delroy Berryman 21
Uiti Baker 20
Ligi Sao 22
Siosaia Vave 25
Tom Trbojevic 18
Tony Satini 21
Brayden Williame 22
Wolfman 29
Blake Leary 24
Hey Berkley..............that's the list of players I put on the Roar under the name NSWelshman lolol. I was going to add the following:-
Total 35 players

Average age > 24.42

Players under 24 yrs > 24

Players 24 – 29 > 5

Players 30 plus > 6

70% of the team is 24 years of age or under!!!!!

I just had to laugh.

Mabye he is a manly fan and he is doing that thing were everyone says manly will fail which actually drives manly to victory.

Read the article yesterday. By paragraph 3 it was obvious it was written by a moron.
And if he's a Manly supporter I'm a rainbow-maned unicorn.

- Reading it started to make me dumber. So I stopped.

Someone say unicorn???? Only the best ad ever!!!!

Last edited:
It wouldn't surprise me if the bloke who wrote this is on this site. Surely if he is a Manly fan he is here? There is some logic to his theories but they are by no means a certainty as he seems to think.

Haha taking a shot at a guy like Ballin because he's 31, never mind the fact that he's in incredible shape and has showed no sign whatsoever of slowing down...

Then there's Jamie Lyon at 32. I'm sure there are many young centres in the NRL that would love to be able to play with the same energy and brains that Jamie still does, every game. Sadly, not many of them ever will.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6