Snake's "no try" v Sharks. Any feedback from NRL?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Brissie Kid

Bencher
3:19pm: 54 min: Brett Stewart looked to be on his way to the line for Manly but it's been called back by referee Maxwell for a forward pass.

Anyone hear if NRL referees boss confirmed this was or was not a try?

I think by no comment he's confirmed it was a no try.
The ref made the call on the run, I'm happy with that.
It didn't make a difference to the result. Move on.

There'll be plenty of those during the season, you win some, you lose some. If he calls play on, there'll be plenty to say it went forward and vice versa.

Yeah, I heard the outcry about the no try before I watched it and kind of expected it to be an obviously poor call, but having watched it a few times I'll live with it.

If it was against us and given the all clear, I wouldn't be too happy.

Pure optical illusion:
1. It was a long pass at pace and drifted forward. Irrelevant.

Look again at the key evidence:
1. In the instant out of the hands, the ball was definitely going backwards. It only starts drifting forward afterwards. Proof.
2. Hiku slowed after passing yet when the ball was caught he was still in front of it. Proof.
3. Stewart was well behind Hiku, travelling at the same pace when it was passed and didn't need to increase pace or reach to take it comfortably. Proof.

The problem was the referee was able to stand still and look across. If he had been running alongside the players would have been different I reckon.

Rex said:
Pure optical illusion:
1. It was a long pass at pace and drifted forward. Irrelevant.

Look again at the key evidence:
1. In the instant out of the hands, the ball was definitely going backwards. It only starts drifting forward afterwards. Proof.
2. Hiku slowed after passing yet when the ball was caught he was still in front of it. Proof.
3. Stewart was well behind Hiku, travelling at the same pace when it was passed and didn't need to increase pace or reach to take it comfortably. Proof.

On the mark Rex. That was a classic example of a ball thrown backwards but floats forward with the force of the momentum of the person throwing it. Number 2 above is the best proof of it. Hiku, the ball and Snake are in very similar position relative to each other both before and after the pass is thrown and caught.

The physics were beyond Horsehead even after all his years as a ref.

Yes this is the classic "drifter" pass - definitely back out of the hands BUT That said, it floated SO far forward its no great surprise the ref ruled the way he did given a split second to weigh it all up.

Such is life.

I only watched the replay at the time and it didn't appear to be thrown backwards. At best I thought it was flat - maybe a little forward.

As soon as the ball was thrown I thought it would get called back. I thought it was a forward pass. If any other team did that to us I would expect the same result.

• 👍
Reactions: Dan
The referees have bigger issues than the occassional mis-interpreted forward pass to worry about.

I'm happy with the call. If Hiku Had have passed it back in field instead of flinging it 1 handed it would have looked a whole lot better. You live and learn.

50/50 I thought. I would have been dirty if the other side scored off a pass like that, so I can live with it.

given the forward passes they do miss this was a shocker of a call.

Again its the lack of consistency that gives you the poopies

I think it was a lower % play by Hiku. He could have gone to Killer beside him then on to Snake.
I have always wondered how much "drift" can be achieved.

U will gather from the end of this I do not know but here goes.

If the ball carrier is running at a 12 second / 100 m pace then obviously the ball is doing same. If he passes it at the same pace (how fast is a ball passed???) and it is passed 10 metres, the pass takes 1.2 seconds and travels 1.2 metres forward.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7