Snake

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I appreciate the sentiment in zambucks post. But I would be devastated if snake was let go, and anise any rhyme or reason for it. Multiple years left on contract, favourite son and essential to our team. If one cannot see the impact and influence he has on attack and defence with manly, they simply don't know football. That influence is not easy to replicateand could take 5 years to get another player even remotely resembling what snake offers the team.

Put it this way, you love the tema no matter what, so do I, but I also love it so much that I question the stuff I don't agree with.

There was a great quote about patriots blindly supporting america in iraq saying basically: aren't the patriots questioning the administration (who is representing the public) demonstrating more love and care for their country by dissaproving of their actions than by those who refuse to question/oppose them.

Cliffy said:
Phil Blake 86- Manly win the comp in 87 with one Cliffy('s is god) Lyons.
Michael Monaghan 07 - Manly win the comp 08 with a kid called Matt Ballin.
Trent Hodgkinson 10 - Manly win the comp 11 with a kid called Dally Cherry-Evens.

When it comes to finding a kid to replace superstars that is not a bad track record.

Someone on here claimed Cliffy wasn't even at 5-8th at the start of 1987. Not sure who that means was. Martin Meredith or Mitchell Cox?

Brissie Kid said:
Cliffy said:
Phil Blake 86- Manly win the comp in 87 with one Cliffy('s is god) Lyons.
Michael Monaghan 07 - Manly win the comp 08 with a kid called Matt Ballin.
Trent Hodgkinson 10 - Manly win the comp 11 with a kid called Dally Cherry-Evens.

When it comes to finding a kid to replace superstars that is not a bad track record.

Someone on here claimed Cliffy wasn't even at 5-8th at the start of 1987. Not sure who that means was. Martin Meredith or Mitchell Cox?
if I remember Mitchell cox was 5/8 in 87 as marty went to Halifax and played until 1988 cliffy played 5/8 from around 4/5th game of the 87 season as Mitchell was injured the rest is history

Vyssini said:
zambuck said:
we have gone through bad patches our longest was 1945 to 1972 with out a trophy

Yeah, but we didn't lose many matches in 1945 and 1946!!!

oops sorry re that we didn't win any 45 to 46 I got carried away venting my displeasure at all the negativity, should have been 47 to 72

zambuck said:
if I remember Mitchell cox was 5/8 in 87 as marty went to Halifax and played until 1988 cliffy played 5/8 from around 4/5th game of the 87 season as Mitchell was injured the rest is history

Funny how it all came together. Nowdays squads are set in stone by November.

I just found this from Rd 1 in 1987. Can't see who is 6 jersey but Cliffy looks to be in 8. Which I am guessing is the old numbers. Cliffy as a prop! Not.

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/oCaDvUfniPk[/video]

Mark from Brisbane said:
I know Barry, believe me he has a LOT of say, they are a very very close knit family.

So Barry likes souths then re: Gift?

edit: As you say, they may be annoyed with him but.....$$$$> than what Daddy says.

I remember that going to that game in Round 1 1987, for some reason it was played at Belmore.
The number 6 is Martin Meredith and Cliffy is at lock - number 8.
The person that helped Cliffy to become a great five eight was then reserve grade coach Alan Thompson, who had the great cut out pass to the Wombat.

globaleagle said:
Mark from Brisbane said:
I know Barry, believe me he has a LOT of say, they are a very very close knit family.

So Barry likes souths then re: Gift?

edit: As you say, they may be annoyed with him but.....$$$$> than what Daddy says.

Brett has two more years at Manly on about $600k a year, so yes I suppose if Ricky offered him four million for four years it would be a fair carrot.

I think the family are pissed off Gifty got shafted, I have seen a comment on Facebook from his Aunty, but is it enough pissed off to see Snake leave for the same or similar money to a team that he will never have success with??

So it's only going to be a massive offer to make it happen.

Mark from Brisbane said:
Brett has two more years at Manly on about $600k a year, so yes I suppose if Ricky offered him four million for four years it would be a fair carrot.

I think the family are pissed off Gifty got shafted, I have seen a comment on Facebook from his Aunty, but is it enough pissed off to see Snake leave for the same or similar money to a team that he will never have success with??

So it's only going to be a massive offer to make it happen.

So is getting a massive offer and being pissed off about your brother considered 'compassionate grounds'?

Sounds like a BS reason to break a contract.

Honour your contract Snake.

Btw, Canberra is freezing and Snakes hate the cold.

The only way I can see Manly being "happy to release him" is if he really is causing a whole heap of turmoil and they see freeing up the dollars as a chance to secure the halves, which is no guarantee anyway.

Life would go on but it will be very sad for the Manly club and fans if they let Snake walk.

If Snake went to the Raiders it would be the quick end of his career. With the amount traffic the Raiders fullback has to deal with it there's no way Snake's body would last a month.

Snakes my favourite Seaeagles player, possibly of all time so hope he stays, but without ppl in his ear about the treatment of Glen. In reality have some great fullbacks coming through but while Snake can get on the paddock - make it in Maroon & White......

I think Snake will stay. Only reason he would think of going, would of been a massive pay day form the Raiders.

Jimmy Jazz said:
I remember that going to that game in Round 1 1987, for some reason it was played at Belmore.
The number 6 is Martin Meredith and Cliffy is at lock - number 8.
The person that helped Cliffy to become a great five eight was then reserve grade coach Alan Thompson, who had the great cut out pass to the Wombat.

St. George played out of the SCG in 1986 and 1987 while Kogarah received an upgrade. Strange one this as there was no Sheffield Shield game at the SCG that week (NSW played there a week later). Maybe no games were played at the SCG for a couple of weeks due to the need to prepare the field for cricket? It couldn't have been a Swans game, the 1987 VFL season started at the end of March, the game at Belmore was on 1 March.

Belmore actually became the Dragons home for 1988 before they moved back into Kogarah in 1989.

The Manly team that day was:

FB - Dale Shearer
WG - Stuart Davis
CE - Chris Close
CE - Michael O'Connor
WG - Darrell Williams
FE - Martin Meredith
HB - Des Hasler
PR - Phil Daley
HK - Mal Cochrane
PR - Paul Vautin (c)
SR - Ian Barkley
SR - Ron Gibbs
LK - Cliff Lyons

Res - Glenn Ryan
Res - Mitchell Cox

We won the penalties 15-13, lost the scrums 10-6 and the game was a 4-4 draw (Mal Cochrane kicked 2/2 while Bronko Djura kicked 2/3 for the Drags). Attendance was 10,650 and the ref was Giles O'Donnell.

Now, as for Snake.....I hope he stays with Manly until he decides to hang up the boots. Yes I have confidence that Gutho, Peta or Turbo Tom could do the FB job if he did leave, but none have Snake's experience.

Watmong and snake won't be at the club next year. He will be lucky to play 25 games in Canberra over the next 3 years with his knees.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6