Snake: The BS on BS

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Top End Eagle said:
I hope he gets eight hundred a year and plays the next three years at the dogs.

Brett Stewart makes the spectacular look simple whilst Billy Slater makes the simple look spectacular.

You hope he plays at the dogs??? I would hate to see Brett in anything other than Manly colours but the dogs would be my last choice.

The quote about Snake v Billy sums up why we need him as a Manly lifer.
Don't get me wrong I am very thankful for what he has contributed to our club so far but would be devastated if he left especially with the current speculation surrounding him.
I hope he finishes his career at the Sea Eagles and on good terms.

Snake has given us all so much pleasure over the last decade or so and he has been made to suffer so much by the horrors of 2009 and career threatening injuries during this period too.

I understand the bond he has with his brother and how agonizing Gifty moving on is for him especially.

If he left our club I would personally be devastated because he is a legend and for him to play against us like is brother is going to do is rather nauseating.

If he goes, we need to realise that there is some amazing talent in the back ground ready to go. Young Tom in the 20s is an amazing prospect, only 18 but like Snake at that age destined for greatness. Gutho is another one who is more than capable of replacing him.

Like the rest of you I would like to see a signal from Brett about what his plans are ASAP so the club can put this to bed. I have never ever seen a season where our team is under such scrutiny about player movements.

The club will thrive regardless. Our culture was forged many years ago. The reason for that is no one has ever bee bigger than the club!

I think a few are getting confused with the essence of the topic. I don't doubt Brett is a top guy. Or the fact that he and his brother have been wonderful at Manly etc
However, since his very unfortunate arrest and media assassination, he has become a cynical figure, rightly or wrongly. I am not in the business of judging him on that, as it is a very personal subject.
What I object to is his dicking about in pledging his support behind the "club" in the last couple of months, not just his team mates.
This "club" includes all who participate, especially the fans. Some of you on here and back at the original MWSE forums have done nothing but supported him through thick and thin for over 10 years. Supported him through injury and hardship...do I need to go on.
All I ask is a declaration of loyalty to the club I support-that's all. I am not interested in all the speculative rubbish people or the media make up and recycle.
For me it is very disheartening-his legacy is becoming quite threatened which is very, very unfortunate.

There's also the fact the club has asked players not to comment publicly about any player contracts or potential movements. So 'No comment' is going to be the standard reply.

mosto said:
There's also the fact the club has asked players not to comment publicly about any player contracts or potential movements. So 'No comment' is going to be the standard reply.

So you are saying that the "club" would not be happy for him to reaffirm his support and declare his intention to play out his "contract" with Manly!!! Don't think so bud

Not saying that at all, but even the most positive comments can (and have) been twisted by the media (especially the DT), so I can understand the club asking players not to comment one way or the other. Just saying it seems a bit glass half empty on here at times. If he refused to comment, then he must be leaving :huh:.

At the end of the day, if he, or any other player, goes, then we will look at our options and move on. The club was going to self-destruct when Des left, apparently. Also, it wasn't all that long ago when we were within hours of not having a club at all, let alone any one particular player, and we survived that OK as well.

Kiwi Eagle said:
Sometimes mountains can be made out of molehills so easily on here !!

Over a few topics recently I have seen a few people turn on Brett Stewart, what an absolute disgrace that is considering he has made no comments on the situation

Totally agree Kiwi. I'm pretty sure ppl on here turn on most players as soon as there is contract talk.

We should dig up the thread from the last round of Snake contract negotiations. So much undelivered "mail" and "sauces" past their use by date in that one.

I'll believe that he wants to, or is, moving on when I hear it from his mouth. Until then he is a Manly legend and should be treated with that respect. Anyone who thinks he will be easily replaceable has rocks in their head. Hiku, Morrissey and even Tom T might look like good talents but they have a LONG way to go before they can offer anywhere near the complete package Snake can.

manlyfan76 said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

Over a few topics recently I have seen a few people turn on Brett Stewart, what an absolute disgrace that is considering he has made no comments on the situation

Totally agree Kiwi. I'm pretty sure ppl on here turn on most players as soon as there is contract talk.

Yep, Foran was rubbish last time his was up

Kiwi Eagle said:
manlyfan76 said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

Yep, it's all media hearsay and it's not just what is being said about Brett at the moment either. There is also a lot of hearsay being said about a few of our other players as well.

We shouldn't take what is written or reported on TV as gospel until the actual persons come out and confirms the supposed information themselves. I know for a fact that I haven't heard any of them say any of the negative talk about Manly that the media keeps coming out with.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
fLIP said:
He can carry on like a child all he likes about his brother,
What on earth?
Seems a few here are overreacting.
Look, I know things look bleak, seeing that we haven't won a comp for 41 years, we are coming last and half our squad just got busted for drug cheating, we've been exposed for massive systematic salary cap rorting and we've had 40 put on us in our last 3 games, but sheesh, get some perspective, there's got to be an upside somewhere.

Are you suggesting that because there are positives in situations there's no need to comment on a single negative.

I will continue anyway.

The club does not need to tell employees "don't comment to media" unless unfavorable comments are likely to be made. Enough has been said on record by players to know certain cliques within the club aren't happy with the lack of contract offer to Glen.

I highly doubt the aim of "don't talk to media" means to be as vague as possible during your media appearances in order to perpetuate continued rumors of unrest within the playing group. If Stewart and Watmough aren't asking for a release and looking to leave mid contract do we honestly believe the club would be instructing players to specifically not comment on the matter? Do we really think the club wants it appearing as if players have been told to shut up, if it's all just made up media gossip?

I don't have issues with "no comment" ect ect. Stick to those and then get along with sorting out your grievances in a grown up fashion behind closed doors. What I do have issues with is the "we aren't allowed opinions at this club", "I'm here at the moment". The petulance of it all irks me to no end.

Those "non-comments" i very much doubt are the kind of no comment the club is looking for. These statements serve only to subtly justify newspaper headlines.

If Brett can allow the treatment of his brother (which just so happens to be the way any workplace functions) to influence the way he portrays his club to the media, then I believe I have every right to be just as cynical of the way he is treating my club.

The club and by that i don't just mean 'the club itself'; but ticket buyers, members, merchandise purchasers, TV subscribers, sponsors or the out of their own pocket sign makers. The people who showed outside his trial in support who justified his innocence in the face of ignorance day in day of at work or school. These people have facilitated the lining of his and his brother's pockets with a substantial amount of money over the years, however, when a single incident does not go the way he wants it "i can't have an opinion at this club".

This could all very well be blown right out of proportion and I'd be the first to rejoice having no fire to all this smoke, however, the entire issue could be well and truly shut down right here and now by Brett saying "it's all b.s, i love the club and it's supporters for all the POSITIVES over the years and these rumors are unsubstantiated rubbish. I will be seeing out my contact." Instead, several players are focusing on the single negative which perhaps by your rule means they should get some perspective.

Until so far as the players who are making things seem so vague, vehemently deny the claims being made Ive got a real issue with it being dragged on the way it is.

Kiwi Eagle said:
manlyfan76 said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

fLIP said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
fLIP said:
What on earth?
Look, I know things look bleak, seeing that we haven't won a comp for 41 years, we are coming last and half our squad just got busted for drug cheating, we've been exposed for massive systematic salary cap rorting and we've had 40 put on us in our last 3 games, but sheesh, get some perspective, there's got to be an upside somewhere.

Are you suggesting that because there are positives in situations there's no need to comment on a single negative.

I will continue anyway.

The club does not need to tell employees "don't comment to media" unless unfavorable comments are likely to be made. Enough has been said on record by players to know certain cliques within the club aren't happy with the lack of contract offer to Glen.

I highly doubt the aim of "don't talk to media" means to be as vague as possible during your media appearances in order to perpetuate continued rumors of unrest within the playing group. If Stewart and Watmough aren't asking for a release and looking to leave mid contract do we honestly believe the club would be instructing players to specifically not comment on the matter? Do we really think the club wants it appearing as if players have been told to shut up, if it's all just made up media gossip?

I don't have issues with "no comment" ect ect. Stick to those and then get along with sorting out your grievances in a grown up fashion behind closed doors. What I do have issues with is the "we aren't allowed opinions at this club", "I'm here at the moment". The petulance of it all irks me to no end.

Those "non-comments" i very much doubt are the kind of no comment the club is looking for. These statements serve only to subtly justify newspaper headlines.

If Brett can allow the treatment of his brother (which just so happens to be the way any workplace functions) to influence the way he portrays his club to the media, then I believe I have every right to be just as cynical of the way he is treating my club.

The club and by that i don't just mean 'the club itself'; but ticket buyers, members, merchandise purchasers, TV subscribers, sponsors or the out of their own pocket sign makers. The people who showed outside his trial in support who justified his innocence in the face of ignorance day in day of at work or school. These people have facilitated the lining of his and his brother's pockets with a substantial amount of money over the years, however, when a single incident does not go the way he wants it "i can't have an opinion at this club".

This could all very well be blown right out of proportion and I'd be the first to rejoice having no fire to all this smoke, however, the entire issue could be well and truly shut down right here and now by Brett saying "it's all b.s, i love the club and it's supporters for all the POSITIVES over the years and these rumors are unsubstantiated rubbish. I will be seeing out my contact." Instead, several players are focusing on the single negative which perhaps by your rule means they should get some perspective.

Until so far as the players who are making things seem so vague, vehemently deny the claims being made Ive got a real issue with it being dragged on the way it is.

Exactly mate-that's the whole point...There should be NO contract talk over a player with several years still on his bloody contract. So where did it all come from I wonder...hmmm...not too hard to guess at all.

fLIP said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
fLIP said:
What on earth?

I will continue anyway.

Well next time Brett is standing under a towering bomb with an avalanche of gorillas bearing down on him, I hope he thinks of his pride in performance and of his teammates. If his thoughts turn to Manly fans, some of whom are openly condemning him (on what I think is scant evidence), his resolve just might waver.

So, Gerard Conlen from readingtheplay.com just said, with the game being at Brookvale, and a big send off game for King, and the Stewart brothers, Manly should continue on their winning way.

Lol, anyone else hear that? So, Hiku Fullback?

If it was indeed the case would not the club leverage this to see a packed Brookvale??

All I smell is the media hacks !!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4