Snake on track to be 3rd all time highest try scorer

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Well snake normally grabs at least 10 a season, so assuming he can stay away from the sideline, he should reel in slater.

It will also mean the top 3 try scores in rugby league history will be Manly players ;) 1st being irvine and 2nd beaver.

He is now 1 off terry lab and 2 off ET. Hat-trick against chooks would go down nicely.

If the injury god's give him a break (pun intended...although pretty bloody sick if you ask me!...) anyways, this little combo that was growing with each minute tonight with Tommy T will hopefully turn into a nice lethal combination. Which will lead to a plethora of tries, and snake taking his rightful place as No.1.

Well snake normally grabs at least 10 a season, so assuming he can stay away from the sideline, he should reel in slater.

It will also mean the top 3 try scores in rugby league history will be Manly players ;) 1st being irvine and 2nd beaver.

He is now 1 off terry lab and 2 off ET. Hat-trick against chooks would go down nicely.
Terry Lab....wasn't he involved in the peptides scandal?

Billy Slater is a great player, but how he is just universally regarded as the greatest of all time and Snake is not even an after thought is just a joke. I'm never going to rubbish Slater as a player, because he is amazing, but Snake is on the same level.

I would love to see Snake get to Beavers try scoring level. But I would also love to see how many try assists he has compared to other fullbacks.

Snake's try tonight sees him just 9 behind Slater. With Billy gone for the year, hopefully Snake can rightfully pass his tally. Slater missing almost two full years through injury now as Snake did in 2009 and 2010.
That comparison understates the difference in try scoring rates.

In the NRL Slater has scored 172 tries from 278 games. Snake has 163 tries from 222 games. If Slater retired now, Snake would have two seasons (56 games) to catch up the 9 try differential.

And the remarkable thing is that Snake has done much of this AFTER suffering chronic injury that slowed him down and significantly interfered with normal training. Slater's tries were scored, and games played, when essentially injury free.

Last edited:
Billy Slater is a great player, but how he is just universally regarded as the greatest of all time and Snake is not even an after thought is just a joke. I'm never going to rubbish Slater as a player, because he is amazing, but Snake is on the same level.

I would love to see Snake get to Beavers try scoring level. But I would also love to see how many try assists he has compared to other fullbacks.

I have Stewart on 110 Try Assists (222 games) = .495 per game
Slater on 141 (278 games) = .507 per game

• 📚
Reactions: Rex
Where did you pull those stats? But amazing stats for both of them.
Had to use a couple of sites, the NRL official one for more recent games, and nrlstats.com for games prior to 2005. A quick look at fullbacks showed that these two were well ahead of other fullbacks. Just trying to find the definition of a "try assist" i.e. is it the last pass thrown???

I have Stewart on 110 Try Assists (222 games) = .495 per game
Slater on 141 (278 games) = .507 per game
Mmm, I did not realise that Slater was know for his try assists. I would have thought that Snake have had many more than him and you are probably more likely to see his on a highlights reel.

Had to use a couple of sites, the NRL official one for more recent games, and nrlstats.com for games prior to 2005. A quick look at fullbacks showed that these two were well ahead of other fullbacks. Just trying to find the definition of a "try assist" i.e. is it the last pass thrown???
Would be interesting to know the definition, I'm certainly not surprised these two are well ahead of the next fullback.

Mmm, I did not realise that Slater was know for his try assists. I would have thought that Snake have had many more than him and you are probably more likely to see his on a highlights reel.
No, I agree, I thought Slater was known for his grubby, sneaky, dirty tactics. No comparison in the " honour " category. We just KNOW that Brett will go past Grubby in both try tally try assists, but most of all WAY Past in on field sportsmanship.

Wow that seems a huge amount of work grabbing all that data Flight! Is there a trick to it?

I just grabbed the 2016 data for Manly from NRL.com, copy-and-pasted into a spreadsheet - and even that was a pain. Lots of manipulating of data just to get it into a usable format. And the old data in NRL.stats.com isn't readily available. You have to write to them to get it.

Is there a shortcut that helps getting all this data into a usable format? And there is other useful data (eg minutes played) which is not included in the NRL.com summary. Is this (minutes played, etc) readily accessible too rather than needing to extract each week individually? Ideally it would be good to get a dump of all the player stats database into a txt file or similar.

Wow that seems a huge amount of work grabbing all that data Flight! Is there a trick to it?

I just grabbed the 2016 data for Manly from NRL.com, copy-and-pasted into a spreadsheet - and even that was a pain. Lots of manipulating of data just to get it into a usable format. And the old data in NRL.stats.com isn't readily available. You have to write to them to get it.

Is there a shortcut that helps getting all this data into a usable format? And there is other useful data (eg minutes played) which is not included in the NRL.com summary. Is this (minutes played, etc) readily accessible too rather than needing to extract each week individually? Ideally it would be good to get a dump of all the player stats database into a txt file or similar.
The nrl should embrace the open data philosophy

• 🏆
Reactions: Rex

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4