Snake Manly's most influential EVER??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Not the best....well up there close - but biggest game changer??
Manly are 2 from 4, but the Snake is 2 from 2.
No doubt a massive influence as proven by stats which can be misleading, though not in this case....Stewart has the whole package - talk, leadership, speed, talent, freakish ability, defence, attack, passing game & much more...but his best asset - he LIFTS those around him.
Personally supported Manly since the early 80's & though Ben Kennedy is up there by adding that steely resolve Manly have held onto for a decade - Stewart is the Sea Eagles biggest influence in my time.
I have seen Bozo's highlights & seemed absolute dynamite & is often regarded the best player in the games history - but is Snake the biggest positive influence Manly have had...must be right up there....

Tough question.

I only go back to the early 70's, but gee from then on we have had some influential players.

Bozo, let's not forget an Immortal, really a magician.

Wombat Eadie, the most powerful devastating fullback I've seen play for Manly, perhaps not as quick or as skilful as Stewart but just " commanding "

No doubt Cliffy has to get a mention, Manly were a different side when he played and Beaver would have about 100 less try's if not for him.

BK in just two years did enough to be included in the best 13 for the 100th anniversary of the game, now that IS saying something.

Modern era , Stewart without a doubt, since 1947.........???!!!?

No

The modern, professional game can not be compared to a time, when Players rocked up for the love of the game and a handfull of dollars if they won.

The Manly I started following in the 70s did not need anyone to LIFT them .@:cool:
They would laugh at the suggestion - Igor smelt blood as soon as he crossed the whiteline :p

Even in the 90s Cliffy just played to win and everyone else expected to do so. I don't recall any player talking in the in goal if the Team had let in a try - it was just 'get on with it'.:nod:

Nowdays, spending 6 days a week with the same bunch of people, repetitious training routines and inane Media engagement, means that mentaly the Players are no longer focused on just playing :cool:

In the last decade you had Kitey, Killer, BK, Choc, Gifty and Snake to motivate out on the field. :)

Last edited:
Good question. I can't comment on the 70s and bozo, so I really am talking from 1980 onwards.

I'm a huge BK and Killer fan. I still have arguments with people about BKs influence and loved seeing him in the team of the 60 years. I thought it was justified as his presence over that 2 year period was incredible.

Killer to me was the missing piece of our premiership puzzle, and I think it's no coincidence that our golden run of 07 to 13 was when Jamie came to the club and really stamped himself on the competition.

We've had some incredible players such as Tooves, Cliffy, Phil Blake, And of course James Hasson, but I've said many times the difference between finishing in the 8 and winning the Comp is a fit Brett Stewart. He is incredible, and criminally underrated.

I would rate him since 1980 as our most influential.

This man.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 26
Snake has played 222 NRL games for Manly.

We are 142 and 80 when he plays. That means when Snake plays, we win 63.96% of the time.

As a comparison, Cliff Lyons played 309 games as a Sea Eagle. With him in the team we were 195-104-10. A winning percentage of 63.11.

Not much difference and both had definite influences. Snake is a try scorer who also sets up as many, if not more than he gets himself, especially in recent years. Cliffy only scored 80 tries himself, but he set up many, many more.

Last edited:
Modern era, no doubt snake has a very big effect on Manly's fortunes.

Don't forget Malcolm Reilly, he was the man that put starch into the manly DNA. Hard as nails, uncompromising, skillful and a player that lead from the front. Players loved playing with him and hated playing against him.

1971 - 1975 3 GF appearances for 2 Premierships. and the start of our winning culture.

No

The modern, professional game can not be compared to a time, when Players rocked up for the love of the game and a handfull of dollars if they won.

The Manly I started following in the 70s did not need anyone to LIFT them .@:cool:
They would laugh at the suggestion - Igor smelt blood as soon as he crossed the whiteline :p

Even in the 90s Cliffy just played to win and everyone else expected to do so. I don't recall any player talking in the in goal if the Team had let in a try - it was just 'get on with it'.:nod:

Nowdays, spending 6 days a week with the same bunch of people, repetitious training routines and inane Media engagement, means that mentaly the Players are no longer focused on just playing :cool:

In the last decade you had Kitey, Killer, BK, Choc, Gifty and Snake to motivate out on the field. :)
I cleary remember Mathew Ridge ripping shreads off players in goal ifthe opposition happened to score. Back then we had the best defense in the history of rugby leauge.

I cleary remember Mathew Ridge ripping shreads off players in goal ifthe opposition happened to score. Back then we had the best defense in the history of rugby leauge.
Agree, but Ridgey was pissed off at them and not concerned about his teamates' state of mind :p

Graham Eadie did the same positioning yelling too, that's just normal FB behaviour as they have a comprehensive view.:)

I think that the fulltime player is the only one that needs help in lifting for a game.
The monotony of such a long season, has them saying things like 'we didn't turn up', 'they wanted it more than us',... :banghead:

1971 - 1975 3 GF appearances for 2 Premierships. and the start of our winning culture.

Sorry to be picky but a slight correction is needed. 1971-75 with Mal Reilly at Manly we played in 2 GF's for 2 premierships (you might be confusing our 1970 GF loss to Souffs).

As for the dummy spit? God only knows. I got one about 20 minutes ago (different thread from a different user) which I can't figure out either.

I have been a fan since the early 80's and cliffs was always the best I've seen however Brett Stewart has now equalled Cliffy if not moved ahead of him. Snake has been and still is a mighty player for Manly.

Sorry to be picky but a slight correction is needed. 1971-75 with Mal Reilly at Manly we played in 2 GF's for 2 premierships (you might be confusing our 1970 GF loss to Souffs).

As for the dummy spit? God only knows. I got one about 20 minutes ago (different thread from a different user) which I can't figure out either.

you are correct, was confusing 1970.

What dummy spit?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7