'Smokey' fires up for Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
G

THIS is the 102kg centre the Sea Eagles are secretly hoping will be their "smokey" in 2008.

Andrew Suniula is a powerfully built, American-Samoa-born talent who arrived at Manly after a recent stint playing rugby union in Iowa, in the United States.

Sea Eagles recruitment guru Noel Cleal spotted Suniula when on a mission to Auckland's Waitemata Stadium in August.

Cleal and Manly football manager Steve Gigg were there to check out another talent, Sione Taka.

And while Taka will arrive at the club in the new year, Suniula caught the eye with an "outstanding" display for the Auckland Lions in their thrilling Bartercard Cup semi-final victory over Harbour League.

"Andrew stood out," Cleal said yesterday as Suniula did the hard yards at Manly's final training session at the Sydney Sports Academy in Narrabeen before a two-week Christmas break.

"He's athletic, he's got a good carry, he's strong, with good speed.

"To date, he's impressed the coaches and that's hard to do this time of year.

"I'm quietly happy about him.

"Every club likes to come up with a smokey, not saying he's going to be a world champion, but at this stage, we are confident he will do OK."

Suniula, who moved to New Zealand as a child, started playing rugby league this year and has signed with Manly for two years.

"I was playing league to fill in my time before going to the States and then Japan to play rugby," the 25-year-old said.

"I was in the process of going through with it (deal in Japan), until these guys (Manly) flew me over. I gave it some thought and thought I'd have a go.

"I'm still learning the game.

"There's good players here to learn off."

Suniula, who has played 12 NPC rugby games for Taranaki, spent the back half of 2007 playing union for Pearl City in America's mid-west.

"They were an awesome club and we had a lot of fun," he said.

Something he hopes to emulate at the Sea Eagles in 2008.

Go smokey

I wonder what Matai is thinking when Crusher buys Vaeliki and Suniula? Both reasonably young centres, and both not obviously players who will play in the under 20's comp.

Methinks Matai had better have a injury / suspension free season, coz I'm thinking Crusher is now thinking contingencies.

I think that the club is looking to develop good young talent and it has nothing to do with Matai at all.

Like him or not he is in Des' plans and will be in the side assuming that he is healthy or not suspended.

I think that the club is looking to develop good young talent and it has nothing to do with Matai at all.

Like him or not he is in Des' plans and will be in the side assuming that he is healthy or not suspended.

Good young talent? Dave, the dudes turning 26 this year. That's not a player to develop through the lower grades....that's a player who's potentially going to play 1st grade. Or do you think Des will play him in the elite under 20's comp? Or maybe SG Ball or Harold Mathews?

Over the years I remember many 'smokeys' who were going to be to next big thing, these turn out to be absolute lemmons - anyone recall dallas rennie, Karl Johnson??

If he is no good then at least he can pick up a job as a bouncer at the steyne.

Couldn't be worse than Matai.

Has matai's broken arm healed from the test a few months back.

Gasniers head butt will go down in history as one of the worst!

I also fondly remember Manly signing the next Mal Meninga in the early 1990s - a guy from Brisbane called Michael Peachy (no relation to David).

He was part of our reserve grade side coached by Max Krilich that failed to win a game all season - suffice to say he wasn't fit to tie up Mal's boot laces.

Yes beware the next big thing call, especially if there is a smell that Zorba has something to do with the story (ie in the Manly daily).

[quote author=Canteen Worker]

Good young talent? Dave, the dudes turning 26 this year. That's not a player to develop through the lower grades....that's a player who's potentially going to play 1st grade. Or do you think Des will play him in the elite under 20's comp? Or maybe SG Ball or Harold Mathews?
[/quote]

Meow

I notice the post was Xmas eve, must have been sick of putting together the xmas presents for the young fella :)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6