Smith to Break Cap for Burgess

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

dowdz

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
NRL boss Dave Smith to use discretionary power to pay above the cap to get Sam Burgess back

Peter Badel
The Courier-Mail
October 08, 2014 12:00AM

NRL chief executive Dave Smith wants Sam Burgess back in rugby league and is set to exercise discretionary power to prise the Souths grand-final hero away from English rugby.

Smith's stance comes as Souths coach Michael Maguire revealed he is prepared to fly to the UK to convince Burgess of a second incarnation at the Rabbitohs in 2016.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-boss-dave-smith-to-use-discretionary-power-to-pay-above-the-cap-to-get-sam-burgess-back/story-fnp0lyn3-1227082982963

“I've got exceptional power, which I can use if I think it's for the greater good of the game." said Smith.
Give Souths special dispensation to rort the cap? Yeah that'll impress the other clubs and their fans and be great for the game. What planet does this bloke come from?

The only problem with having an override switch in any mechanism is, it involves a human making the decision.:mad:

I've no problem with the NRL luring stars from other competitions or codes, but they need a fair way of allocating said stars to clubs, otherwise it is a rort plain and simple. Burgess has already said he'd like to return and would only play for Souths.

So they want to get him back and give him to the strongest club, that's smart. I would be happy with this if they were giving him to the wooden spooners, but that would be sensible and logical, which is a foreign concept to the NRL.

Maybe Gifty should of said he was going to union. Would love to have known if Smith would break the cap for us. Lol, i just laughed at the thought of that

We need serious change at the NRL . There is no way the vermin should benefit from this rort. Either get rid of the cap or implement it fairly.

COMMANDER said:
It is a poorer game under this guys administration.

Agreed. Here i thought, when the new administration took over, league would benefit.

sheridanstand78 said:
We need serious change at the NRL . There is no way the vermin should benefit from this rort. Either get rid of the cap or implement it fairly.

Getting rid of the cap would be a disaster for us. Brisbane would spend $20 million a year, as would souffs & the rorters. Those three would take turns to win premierships and we wouldn't win another.

The salary cap is the single most important part of the game and here we now have a foolish banker tinkering with it at his sole discretion. This is a seriously scary development.

"let's look super desperate by throwing cash at guys that walked out on the game to play union because they obviously love league so much and therefore should be ambassadors for the game..."

-- Dave Smith

Ralphie said:
Getting rid of the cap would be a disaster for us. Brisbane would spend $20 million a year, as would souffs & the rorters. Those three would take turns to win premierships and we wouldn't win another.
Not true Ralphie. Melbourne would also win some.

I don't have a problem with the NRL using $$ to lure players from rival codes. What I do have a problem with is luring them back and allowing them to play with the premiership winning team.

He would be good to the code, aside from the few indiscretions, but should be brought back to play at one of the struggling teams only, outside the 8 as a minimum criteria.

Otherwise it is a clear rort of the cap.

Just when I think the current administration couldn't be more of a joke, they do something like this.

As others have stated I have no issue with league trying to get the elite players back to the game, but as usual it seems that some clubs and some players benefit more than others.

I know this was stated previously also, we should have DCE suddenly garnering million dollar interest from Japanese rugby (don't tell me that they wouldn't bite) and then get the powers that be to provide salary cap relief.

The problem as usual is that this just reeks of one rule for one, and others getting screwed. We'll throw the kitchen sink at keeping those that turn their back on the game, yet loyal servants like Beaver, Kitey, Gifty get edged out (when they want to stay) and that's fine??

Stop being so closed minded, thr NRL should be getting involved as the game is stronger with Burgess, SBW, Folau and Hunt involved!

That said I do believe there should be some more structure to it. I believe there should be a centrally contracted list released each year of 10 players who are used by the nrl to market the game......so essentially they are hired by the nrl as ambassadors

This list changes yearly based on marketability and performance with clubs having no bearing on who is chosen.

Each player receives 200k for the season with bad behavior voiding payments

A current list could look something like

Hayne
Inglis
Cherry-Evans
Graham
Smith
Thurston
Johnson
Then I dunno, 3 others

Gallen doesnt make it due to ASADA but would have made this years list, Barba would have made the 2013 list (after a big 2012) but has since faded, Cronk whilst a great player doesnt bring the marketability, Farah could be there but is a bit to prickly and outspoken etc etc

You can have multiple players from 1 club if thats the way it falls.....players like Folau would be told that if they return to the NRL they would be on the following years list and would remain there if their form and brand remains strong.

This not only helps players stay in the game but also encourages them to engage with the media whilst building there own personal brand

It also has no advantage to any particular team

SeaEagle21 said:
I don't have a problem with the NRL using $$ to lure players from rival codes. What I do have a problem with is luring them back and allowing them to play with the premiership winning team.

He would be good to the code, aside from the few indiscretions, but should be brought back to play at one of the struggling teams only, outside the 8 as a minimum criteria.

Otherwise it is a clear rort of the cap.

That is also a rort and also would disadvantage well run clubs such as out own

The nrl topping up a deal cannot be reliant on them playing for any club be it a strong or a weak club.

If the NRL offered Folau a 500k top up he can the choose to sign for the roosters at 300k, Parra at 500k or the raiders at 1.6mill.......the salary cap is not affected by his top up

Great player. Did fantastic for Souths. Now chasing RU World Cup glory and $$$.
Totally unfair Nrl.
Give him to the Sharks or Canberra.

Oh no, I forgot. Souths winning is great for the game.
Souths are the 'peoples team'.
Well who supports the other 15 clubs? Obviously can't be humans with hearts and passion.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6