1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slater proves he is a Grub

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Berkeley_Eagle, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    Billy Slater on field bullying. A low act
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225843490978

SLEDGING in the NRL reached a new low on Saturday night when Melbourne's superstar fullback Billy Slater allegedly taunted Newcastle forward and depression-sufferer Cory Paterson about his mental condition.
    The Daily Telegraph has been told Slater - who was last night accused of not acting "in the spirit of the game" by Paterson's manager - sledged the Knight about his mental state when the two players came together during Melbourne's 20-14 win at Energy Australia Stadium.
    Paterson was diagnosed with depression last year and missed a number of NRL games due to the illness. He reacted angrily to Slater's taunt, but the pair shook hands at fulltime.
    "I'm not going to comment on what Slater said. He knows what he said and if he says it again, he can expect the same reaction," Paterson told The Daily Telegraph yesterday.
    "I personally think he over-stepped the mark. We shook hands at fulltime but he didn't say sorry.

"But I didn't expect him to. I guess it was said in the heat of the battle."
    Paterson also revealed he was sledged by Slater in a match last year.
    "Yeah, he had a go at me last year too but it wasn't as bad," Paterson said. Newcastle teammate Jarrod Mullen heard the taunt but did not want to get involved.
    "It's between them," Mullen said.
    Paterson's manager Steve Gillis did not want to comment last night, but when pressed said: "It is something that could have been avoided.
    "It wasn't necessary and wasn't in the spirit of the game.
    "Cory has done incredibly well in recent times and has been playing some great football."
    Gillis also refused to reveal exactly what Slater said on the field.
    Paterson, a member of the All Star Indigenous side, has returned strongly to the NRL and he is considered a chance of playing in the upcoming City-Country match.
    One Newcastle source said: "Billy knows what he said and he shouldn't have said it. It certainly struck a nerve."
    The incident came after a Paterson tackle on Melbourne and New Zealand forward Adam Blair.
    Knights coach Rick Stone was aware of the sledging drama yesterday but he refused to buy into it. "They are big boys and I am a believer in what happens on the field, stays on the field," he said.
    "I saw on the video that they had words. Sometimes things are said on the field in the heat of the battle.
    "It is a touchy one but I don't think there was any malice in it.
    "I don't know what was said. I'm none the wiser."
    When contacted last night Slater did not deny the sledging accusations, but said he had telephoned Paterson yesterday to "clear the air".
    "I heard Cory had an issue with something that was said on the field [Saturday] night," Slater said.
    "I rang Cory immediately to discuss it and clear the air.
    "What was said in that conversation will remain private but Cory has assured me that there is no ill-feeling between us.
    "I wished him all the best at the end of the phone call - and he did the same."

2. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    no surprises there, a leopard won't change his stripes, especially when the leopard is a Cnut

3. Garts

Garts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +672 / 18
    Should have just belted him. 

4. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,463 / 74
    leopards don't have stripes though

5. DailyTerrorgraphHater

DailyTerrorgraphHater Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    leopards don't have stripes though
    [/quote]

I think he means Tiger, the correct quote is a "Tiger won't change his stripes".

6. Fro

Fro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +245 / 0
    Thanks Captain Dan.

I thought a tiger didnt change his undies DTH :)

7. weev

weev Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +684 / 17
    No additional proof is required.

8. Jatz Crackers

Jatz Crackers Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,242 / 7
    Rivers run deep and any way the wind blows a melbourne drizzle player is sure to gather moss.

9. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    "Slater proves he is a Grub"

I didn't realise there was any doubt. 

10. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    How is this less than calling a dark fellow a black so and so?  No doubt the NRL will take no action and Newcastle should hang their head in shame that they are not supporting their player and taking this a lot further. 

11. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    The day somebody stands up and belts the **** out of this little cretin will be a day to celebrate, would love it to be Matai too. My hate for the bloke is made even worse by the new guy at work loving him and jabbing me about him all day

12. Matabele

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    The Daily Telegraph describes it as a "new low".  Well what have blokes been getting for racial vilification by way of suspension?  If the Tele thinks it is a new low, surely they should be asking for worse?

Is it any better than Hoppa poking dates?  Arguably it's as low as that, if not lower, and brings the game into disrepute.  It's a workplace incident, and if any of us started poking fun at the depressed receptionist we wouldn;t be getting a pay cheque for long. 

13. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    I read Scott Porter's sister died of a heart attack and he still played. Imagine what little Billy would say if he played the Sharks soon ? Hopefully he would say it within earshot of Gallen though, who wouldn't piss around if he heard it

14. inside pass

inside pass Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    he's showing his class or lack there of..

they'll b telling us how good he is next week?

15. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,715 / 257
    Did I ever tell you this???

When we were in melbourne last year with my tour group we were walking along heading to the ground and who should walk past but the grub himself.

I was waking ahead of the group but heard a couple of the kids(we had about 6-8  of them aged between about 6-10 with us) say "Hey Billy Manly's going to get you today"...he turned around (to the kids) and suck "F off you Manly F heads".

Nice one a???

Considering the average age was maybe 7-8, it showed the sheer class of the man.

16. inside pass

inside pass Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    what a peace a **** that man is.

17. Matabele

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    what a peace a S**t that man is.
    [/quote]  And the media that are complicit in allowing him to get away with his dupliciousness because he is seen to be marketable. 

18. lsz

lsz Well-Known Member Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +3,647 / 66
    I guess the deodorant he is pushing must work really well.....it seems to help him smell like roses

19. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,715 / 257
    The only good things we DID get them that day.

The parents of the said children were further back in the group, I told them about it and they were none too happy.

Kids are going to hear words like that at a football game BUT when it's aimed at them from one of the "Glamour Boys" of the game it's a very low act.

I wish I had been behind the kids, as it was when he said it and I turned around he'd gone into a gate to get into the ground, otherwise he would have copped some abuse of his own from me.

Vidmar was there as well, although he was further back in the pack with the other group of adults, but he'll remember the incident.

20. Jethro

Jethro This space is for rent Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,897 / 7
    Yes, I'm pretty sure that you did tell us after that game.  All class isn't he