Silvertails?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
I follow a high profile author on Facebook who also happens to be a Manly supporter. He enjoyed the Grand Final week, though I'm not sure what his American audience thought of it all.

But he did take umbrage at the Silvertails tag bring applied to Manly. He lives on the Beaches and contends there are many living in poverty and on the downside of advantage.

What does this mean for the Silvertails? Discuss.

Matabele said:
I follow a high profile author on Facebook who also happens to be a Manly supporter. He enjoyed the Grand Final week, though I'm not sure what his American audience thought of it all.

But he did take umbrage at the Silvertails tag bring applied to Manly. He lives on the Beaches and contends there are many living in poverty and on the downside of advantage.

What does this mean for the Silvertails? Discuss.

It means they should vote labour once in a while to keep the Liberals honest..
seriously they have no competition, it`s a liberal seat hands down ..Liberals dont have to do nothing to win in that electorate..

Poverty on the nothern beaches. lol

His neighbour probably had to sell one of his investment properties when the GFc hit is probably his definition of poverty.

How could anyone be in poverty with our welfare system in Australia? Tell him to go to countries which don't have a fall back system for the poort and jobless and then he will see real poverty.

Thomas Kenneally is a very pro labour man. He has given me some good advice about my writing career as well.
Is this who you are referring to?

In regards to the poverty on the Northern Beaches. I'm sure there are many who have grown up over a few generations and somehow have still managed to reside on the beaches. I have a mate who lives in Dee Why with his wife and three children... He is in his forties and lives with his wealthy invalid Dad. If not for his Dad, he would be struggling in a housing commission flat. My mate has his issues and lack of cash is his own doing.

Silvertails is a nice concept because it can make us Manly supporters feel rich and powerful - though most of are not. But it is nice to feel it at times, or at least be aligned to a known successful club, and dream of being in a position where we could buy the club one day and have our name on the jersey. :^)

I did a google search for Poverty in Manly....I didn't get any results.

As for the Silvertail tag that will always belong to Manly and I would be doubtfull if we could ever shake it.

I stayed at a hotel on Manly beach for a few days either side of the GF. What surprised me about the end of GF day around that area was the police presence to clear out the bars and pubs come 10pm. Some riot squad guys, mounted police; the works. Apparently the area has become a bit of a hot spot.

I am not overly familiar with the socio economic side of the area, but what I do know is how we rank as a club financially and we would be by no means described as "Silvertails".

We have done exceptionally well over the last five years without two bob to rub together.

Here's a direct quote:

"I gotta take some of you guys to the overcrowded boarding houses in Manly or introduce you to some of our homeless friends. Or wander through Dee Why, Brookvale or Manly Vale where Islander, Philippino and Somalian families are living with three generations in tiny apartments. I get tired of this ignorant "silver tails" stereotype."

Choosing to live beyond your means because you want a view of the beach isn't poverty.

Silvertails? It was a term dreamt up in the infantile mind of that discredited old hack Roy Masters comparing the beach side suburbs with Lidcombe. That Benedict Arnold turncoat Ha$$ler can do some demographic analysis on his work days. Anyway Islander, Somalian and Phillipino families love to live in one bedroom apartments. They do around my place anyway.

Thehill said:
Labor- bludgers.

Liberal - haven't done **** for brookie
Liberal - striving to make the class divide bigger
Liberal - made a promise they didn't (gst) follow
Liberal - work choices

Need I continue?

It means Silvertails was a monicker originated by a rival and used against us as a disparaging slur. In a working class sport, it was a mocking reference to the financial clout of the club, and was used as an attempt to promote scorn & hatred of Manly among the 'fibro'-dwelling working class fans from the western suburbs.

We simply adopted the term, probably in much the same way as we have recently adopted, 'No-one likes us but we don't care'. In other words, what else is there to do but throw it proudly back in their faces.

There has always been poverty and unemployment on the northern beaches. Not as much as in some other areas. But as long as I have been a Manly fan it has been fairly easy to identify that some fair proportion of our fans were not born with a silver spoon in their mouths.

I am an egalitarian at heart but the Silvertails brand fits our footy image to the extent that it connotes the cream of society who enjoy all the benefits of being top of the pile. We are born to expect success. But in reality we have always had local fans from all levels of society. To my mind the name is great partly because it is very much tongue in cheek

The Eagle said:
Thehill said:
Labor- bludgers.

Liberal - haven't done s**t for brookie
Liberal - work choices

Need I continue?

Mate they brought the gst to the election and the people voted for it. Don't pull that one.

And if we had workchoices we wouldn't have had the qantas debacle.

Matabele said:
Here's a direct quote:

"I gotta take some of you guys to the overcrowded boarding houses in Manly or introduce you to some of our homeless friends. Or wander through Dee Why, Brookvale or Manly Vale where Islander, Philippino and Somalian families are living with three generations in tiny apartments. I get tired of this ignorant "silver tails" stereotype."

This isn't possible to comment a lot on this, as everyone of these people would have unique and personal circumstances, however these people have choices and there are numerous organizations that they can source help.
Perhaps moving to an area where housing, both public and private is more readily available and cheaper would be and option.

Silvertails in spirit, with aspirational character. We strive to excel & strive to succeed. We embrace the term Silvertails because we know "mediocrity will not be tolerated". Any other connotation is irrelevant.

If you're struggling in a boarding house in manly you could live in a share flat in Blacktown. Let's be realistic.

Although I agree more could be done for the homeless. I think you will find most have mental issues and they should be treated. It says a lot for the widespread shutting down of asylums etc over the past few decades.

Thehill said:
The Eagle said:
Thehill said:
Labor- bludgers.

Liberal - haven't done s**t for brookie
Liberal - work choices

Need I continue?

Mate they brought the gst to the election and the people voted for it. Don't pull that one.

And if we had workchoices we wouldn't have had the qantas debacle.

Another one for you:

Labor - made a promise they didn't follow (there will be no carbon tax in a Government I lead)

Labor - haven't done **** for anyone but their own.

Labor - bringing back class warfare. It's the only way they can win an election.

Fianlly, I have never been a fan of Workchoices. However, what we had as our system after the waterfront dispute which removed Union's ability to strike, which was NOT Workchoices, was the best thing for this country. Unfortunately the current Government tore Workchoices apart and pushed us back 30 years. The QANTAS incident proved that it was a bad decision.

If you want to bring your political agendas to this board, do it in another Forum. Lets keep Matas discussion on track instead.

The Eagle said:
Workchoices is the 1st step towards communism,this is how stupid liberals are

The Irony in this post is hilarious.

Dont ever change Shane, i hope no other village has a vacancy for an idiot, you would be hard to replace...

silvertail - noun Australia and New Zealand Informal
a person of affluence or influence

Manly is not an affluent footy club post the Super League war but we certainly are influential! :D

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4