SILVERTAILS V THE KENNEL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If it is charity I can speak to the QLD Oz tag guys, Scotty may be able to help out or put us in contact with the local comp down there to see if they want to help out.

Billy Harrigan still owns it as well.

I'll see if I can get down around then, as I say more than happy to ref and maybe run a few sets :)

Dan

Daniel said:
Touch is an absolute rubbish game. Oz tag is zero contact and there is no way to do phantom touches.

It's a game about actual football and not just trying to catch people off side

Couldn't disagree more.

Masked Eagle said:
Daniel said:
Touch is an absolute rubbish game. Oz tag is zero contact and there is no way to do phantom touches.

Couldn't disagree more.

well it is the exact reason that Oz Tag was started. It was designed to be a lot more like Rugby League. I have played both and whilst Touch requires more fitness, it doesn't compare as a game to Oz tag.

Being able to run proper angles and plays is great.

The guys that play both touch and Oz tag are usually better skilled players, just because they are used to avoiding being touched at all. Every single one of them that I speak to in our comp though, much prefer Oz Tag now that they have actually played it for a year or two, a few of them have stopped playing touch all together, like me.

The amount of people in touch that call out "got him" etc and completely lie makes it horrid, it's all about running backwards constantly and moving constantly, just not enjoyable

Daniel said:
Masked Eagle said:
Daniel said:

Couldn't disagree more.

well it is the exact reason that Oz Tag was started. It was designed to be a lot more like Rugby League. I have played both and whilst Touch requires more fitness, it doesn't compare as a game to Oz tag.

The guys that play both touch and Oz tag are usually better skilled players, just because they are used to avoiding being touched at all. Every single one of them that I speak to in our comp though, much prefer Oz Tag now that they have actually played it for a year or two, a few of them have stopped playing touch all together, like me.

The amount of people in touch that call out "got him" etc and completely lie makes it horrid, it's all about running backwards constantly and moving constantly, just not enjoyable

No one playing touch at any decent level calls phantoms. Anyway, I would say players who play Oztag and who fend are just as guilty and equally as prevelant as players who call phantoms in touch. Both are cheats.

Touch is much better for a players development, especially for a ball player. Faster pace of the game, reduced thinking time, sharper skills because you can't drop it.

I have played both for the best part of the last 20 years, I played in the very first Oztag comps in the ACT and it was great fun when it first started, my biggest problem was in the summer when the "Footy" teams played and it was more tackle than tag. I even gave up touch for a few years but as the seasons went on I turned back to touch and haven't played Tag for a few years now. Personal choice I suppose, but for me I enjoy the pace and the challenge of playing touch a lot more than Oztag, especially against players coming through who have age, and definitely a lot more speed on their side than I currently do.

Masked Eagle said:
Daniel said:
Masked Eagle said:
Daniel said:

Couldn't disagree more.

No one playing touch at any decent level calls phantoms. Anyway, I would say players who play Oztag and who fend are just as guilty and equally as prevelant as players who call phantoms in touch. Both are cheats.

Touch is much better for a players development, especially for a ball player. Faster pace of the game, reduced thinking time, sharper skills because you can't drop it.

I have played both for the best part of the last 20 years, I played in the very first Oztag comps in the ACT and it was great fun when it first started, my biggest problem was in the summer when the "Footy" teams played and it was more tackle than tag. I even gave up touch for a few years but as the seasons went on I turned back to touch and haven't played Tag for a few years now. Personal choice I suppose, but for me I enjoy the pace and the challenge of playing touch a lot more than Oztag, especially against players coming through who have age, and definitely a lot more speed on their side than I currently do.

When it first started there was some contact but if anyone is fending or causing contact now then they aren't being run properly.

The principle thing we are taught as referees is that all contact is bad, there is no such thing as accidental contact, and if there is any contact it absolutely has to be a penalty to one team or the other (there are key indicators for this too)

We had a season with a lot of new referees and contact started creeping in, it took a season for us to train them up enough to give the confidence to call it. They are now even calling contact if you reach around for the tag and cause any level of contact with your arm.
So the league players were the problem not the game.

If it wasn't quick enough for you, you were probably playing in a slow comp. At state level even as a referee it is so quick, you barely have time to set the 7m before the ball is played. It made coming back to refereeing at the local level a breeze as I could walk the triangle more or less and only had to run through for breaks.

It sounds like you suffered from poor officiating rather than a poor game

Daniel said:
Masked Eagle said:
Daniel said:
Masked Eagle said:
Daniel said:

Couldn't disagree more.

When it first started there was some contact but if anyone is fending or causing contact now then they aren't being run properly.

The principle thing we are taught as referees is that all contact is bad, there is no such thing as accidental contact, and if there is any contact it absolutely has to be a penalty to one team or the other (there are key indicators for this too)

We had a season with a lot of new referees and contact started creeping in, it took a season for us to train them up enough to give the confidence to call it. They are now even calling contact if you reach around for the tag and cause any level of contact with your arm.

If it wasn't quick enough for you, you were probably playing in a slow comp. At state level even as a referee it is so quick, you barely have time to set the 7m before the ball is played. It made coming back to refereeing at the local level a breeze as I could walk the triangle more or less and only had to run through for breaks.

Quick in comparison to touch. The speed at the ruck, the chance to stand at marker is where you can get breathers in Oztag. In touch the person who made the touch has to work even harder to get back on side.

Perhaps the reffing has improved since my days and helped clean up a lot of things that annoyed me. But I suppose as I've been involved in the club/rep scene for touch I think I've pretty much made my bed now and am prepared to lie in it.

Masked Eagle said:
Daniel said:
Masked Eagle said:
Daniel said:
Masked Eagle said:
Couldn't disagree more.

Quick in comparison to touch. The speed at the ruck, the chance to stand at marker is where you can get breathers in Oztag. In touch the person who made the touch has to work even harder to get back on side.

Perhaps the reffing has improved since my days and helped clean up a lot of things that annoyed me. But I suppose as I've been involved in the club/rep scene for touch I think I've pretty much made my bed now and am prepared to lie in it.

That is usually the way of it. Though Harrigan tried very hard to make Oz Tag different from touch and take away the bad parts of touch and improve on them.

If you have decent refs there should be no contact, blocking tags etc. all of that is against the rules. Contact is usually the fault of the ball carrier and the key indicators are

1 - Did the Ball carrier choose his line first
2 - Did the defender step in front of the ball carrier or into his line
3 - Was the defender attempting to make a tag?

When you consider all of those, any contact should be called and there should never be a situation where fault can not be determined.

Blocking tags is a straight change over/infringement.

Phantom tags (calling "Yep" etc but not getting the tag is an instant penalty)

and so on

Have played plenty of both including a bit of rep and enjoy both games. Touch at rep level isn't as much fun though. Can't deny that Tag is more like League, you need to be that bit more focused and determined in defence and it's easier to attack and run angles etc. The dumping in touch gets irritating especially in reps. Missing easy tags when your defence is set is a letdown in Tag. Still, the essential skills can be applied in both games,especially in attack.

For a weekend game between rival fans I think touch (even with phantoms) is a better prospect (with kicks on 4th/5th only as an option).

It's too tricky to get a bunch of randoms together and run through a new set of rules, plus try and learn how to tag not tap someone.

Plus there is less chance of someone getting rough with touch.

Manly and Dogs have byes at the same time this year (one around 2nd of June), and one in July sometime.

In terms of venues, there are a few big parks around Homebush bay/Meadowbank area which might work.

Not living in sydney now but have played a touch comp on the fields next to Wentworth Park, haven't seen them used for any other organised sport though.

Booyah won the men's grand final tonight. Still think oz tag is better and less likely to get rough since its 100% non contact

Daniel said:
Booyah won the men's grand final tonight. Still think oz tag is better and less likely to get rough since its 100% non contact

WELL DONE!

Bet it was old guys that carried ya! Wink

100% non contact, I'd have to see it before believing it.

Party on! A good weekend all round for you it seems!

globaleagle said:
Daniel said:

WELL DONE!

Bet it was old guys that carried ya! Wink

100% non contact, I'd have to see it before believing it.

Party on! A good weekend all round for you it seems!

Contact happens, but it results in a penalty repeated infringement result in a sin binning, further repeats result in a send off.

I sat someone down last night in the Mixed B division final for repeated contact and backchat.

The old fellas carried us, but the four tries to Adam one of the young guns helped. He and I have been playing together for about 4 years now, he is a big bloke and runs a hard and good line, so runs straight off my shoulder and I pop him the short ball into the gap. He ran it last night and resulted in 4 tries out of 6 runs. Not a bad result for a simple play

Ive just had a look on The Kennel and i think i know what Rambofan has been doing during his enforced lay off. Check out the thread - What a wonderful week! Tooves is having a field day.... LOL funny stuff

I wish we could just leave it alone - they are as passionate about their club as we are. They believe their club is the greatest much like we believe ours is

Rational discussion between fans is tough at best but you need to have some give and take (i.e. respect an op that you might not agree with etc)

Going over and Sh*t stirring does nothing to benefit us or them...plus we hate it when it happens here so why do it to someone else

rant over

Yeah id be in. Id prefer Tag. Touch is ok at a social level but very boring when people know what they are doing. Girls can play Tag, most girls who I have played with enjoy Tag much more than touch.

And whoever it was that said Phantoms dont happen at "any decent level" of touch. Please...... Ive played at state level and it still happens there.

Daniel said:
Nthn NSW said:
CaptainKickass said:
Make it a cricket game ... and I'm there in a heartbeat ... :p

BTW, The Kennel has it's own bunch of sh*tkickers who play touch every Tuesday ... don't say you weren't warned.

Yeah I know what type of touch they play CK,and Mr I is captain/coach..;)

There are a few handy players here too. I'm a rep though I didn't try out this year as I was reffing. I know Clontaago is fairly handy too

Clons cheating, he is wearing a Power Balance band :D ..

the mauler said:
Ive just had a look on The Kennel and i think i know what Rambofan has been doing during his enforced lay off. Check out the thread - What a wonderful week! Tooves is having a field day.... LOL funny stuff

Almost as lame as suggesting I am Matty Johns.Have you guys not grown a brain while I have been gone?

Sounds like you guys spend more time on the Dogs site than here.Useless sleuthing.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4