Silvertails getting lapped

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DVS Matt

Bencher
Eagle rockers will fly their flags in the sunset
Jonathan Dart | October 2, 2008

IT'S been almost 12 months to the day since diehard Manly fan Greg Presbury began biding his time for revenge against the Melbourne Storm.

In that time he has endured the lows of two losses to the southerners and the high of his team's ride to another grand final.

And unlike many fans who have protested against the National Rugby League's new time for the grand final kick-off, two hours earlier than last year's 7pm start, Mr Presbury is pretty happy.

"We won't have to wait as long [for victory]," he said. "I would still like it to be at 3pm - that's what the tradition is and it gives you a bit more time to go out afterwards and enjoy yourself. But at this point, I think … most people are just wanting to get on with it and see the game."

Mr Presbury is one of a group of almost two dozen Manly fans who watch each home game on the halfway line at Brookvale Oval and follow the team for as many away games as possible each year.

Dubbed the "Eagle Rockers", Mr Presbury and his crew will meet early on Sunday at a bar across from ANZ Stadium and wait nervously as the clock ticks down to game time.

"The NRL has tried to make it better this year," Mr Presbury said. "They've come to an arrangement of holding the game at 5pm, trying to please both the fans and the television [network]."

The 5pm start is the second instance of NRL tinkering with kick-off in the past decade. It moved the traditional afternoon game to night-time in 2001.

The NRL has pointed to the earlier introduction of daylight saving this year as a prime concern, as well as maximising opportunities to gain sponsorship and audience.

Night-time finals had gone down poorly with traditionalists and families but paved the way for the Nine Network to gain higher ratings. Last year 2.42 million viewers tuned in, making the grand final one of the most popular programs of the year.

An NRL spokesman said the time change will be reviewed afterwards and no decision had been made about the timing of next year's grand final.

"The 7pm kick-off has been an enormous success, but that being said, there was a lot of public support for us going to the earlier slot," the spokesman said.

"I think the trend throughout sports in general is the move towards night-time viewing. We're not saying that anything's been locked in, but we're willing to look at how we go with the 5pm start and if it works."

As the Storm coach, Craig Bellamy, arrived in Sydney yesterday, concerns about the game's timing rated as insignificant compared to the soap-opera of the past few weeks. "I don't really mind what time the game is played, I'm just thankful to be there," he said.

DVS Matt link said:
Mr Presbury is one of a group of almost two dozen Manly fans who watch each home game on the halfway line at Brookvale Oval and follow the team for as many away games as possible each year.

Good on them, all loyal supporters

DVS Matt link said:
Eagle rockers will fly their flags in the sunset
Jonathan Dart | October 2, 2008

IT'S been almost 12 months to the day since diehard Manly fan Greg Presbury began biding his time for revenge against the Melbourne Storm.

In that time he has endured the lows of two losses to the southerners and the high of his team's ride to another grand final.

And unlike many fans who have protested against the National Rugby League's new time for the grand final kick-off, two hours earlier than last year's 7pm start, Mr Presbury is pretty happy.

\"We won't have to wait as long [for victory],\" he said. \"I would still like it to be at 3pm - that's what the tradition is and it gives you a bit more time to go out afterwards and enjoy yourself. But at this point, I think … most people are just wanting to get on with it and see the game.\"

Dubbed the \"Eagle Rockers\", Mr Presbury and his crew will meet early on Sunday at a bar across from ANZ Stadium and wait nervously as the clock ticks down to game time.

\"The NRL has tried to make it better this year,\" Mr Presbury said. \"They've come to an arrangement of holding the game at 5pm, trying to please both the fans and the television [network].\"

The 5pm start is the second instance of NRL tinkering with kick-off in the past decade. It moved the traditional afternoon game to night-time in 2001.

The NRL has pointed to the earlier introduction of daylight saving this year as a prime concern, as well as maximising opportunities to gain sponsorship and audience.

Night-time finals had gone down poorly with traditionalists and families but paved the way for the Nine Network to gain higher ratings. Last year 2.42 million viewers tuned in, making the grand final one of the most popular programs of the year.

An NRL spokesman said the time change will be reviewed afterwards and no decision had been made about the timing of next year's grand final.

\"The 7pm kick-off has been an enormous success, but that being said, there was a lot of public support for us going to the earlier slot,\" the spokesman said.

\"I think the trend throughout sports in general is the move towards night-time viewing. We're not saying that anything's been locked in, but we're willing to look at how we go with the 5pm start and if it works.\"

As the Storm coach, Craig Bellamy, arrived in Sydney yesterday, concerns about the game's timing rated as insignificant compared to the soap-opera of the past few weeks. \"I don't really mind what time the game is played, I'm just thankful to be there,\" he said.

I am still awaiting the email requesting an interview :)

Willstyles???

The Wheel link said:
[quote author=DVS Matt link=topic=178613.msg199325#msg199325 date=1222903117]

Good on them, all loyal supporters
[/quote]True Supporters actually!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

They have split up - and sit in the stands, along the bleachers and on the hill. No doubt their commitment but were more more solid two seasons ago. Good on them for maintaining the faith.

Let's file that away for future reference.  By their own admittance, only two dozen of them.

Silvertails' membership is well over 1000 so really!

Matabele link said:
Let's file that away for future reference.  By their own admittance, only two dozen of them.

come on mate no need for that buddy

were all manly fans

Matas right. We've got their part of the hill now. The cool ones have stuck around, the d1ckheads are nowhere to be seen. Thank fcuk.
It's a really easy going group of non-factional regulars who all get along now.

Good riddance Eagle Rockers.

However, in the spirit of Grand Final week, let's let bygones be bygones.  The Rockers stuck thick with the club through a very dark time, and for that at least deserve respect.

Matabele link said:
However, in the spirit of Grand Final week, let's let bygones be bygones.  The Rockers stuck thick with the club through a very dark time, and for that at least deserve respect.

That's a **** load better than your original response. FFS we are all Manly supporters, with a common dream and with an ounce of luck we will all share that at around 7pm on Sunday.

The Rockers are a great group of people, you do not have to agree with their ideals, but derogatory comments towards members of the Rockers, myself included do little to endear the spirit of this week.

Save your venom for the years when we are not as successful as we are currently, for as sure as night follows day that will happen. This is a week of celebration, not the rehashing of history so old that it just becomes boring regurgitating it.

Cliffy Gc link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=178613.msg199395#msg199395 date=1222939973]

were all manly fans
[/quote]
question mata
u edited my post why????

Its not like i bagged the box with dots

but i should

Duff link said:
Matas right. We've got their part of the hill now. The cool ones have stuck around, the d1ckheads are nowhere to be seen. Thank fcuk.

mate tbh honest that post makes u look like a bit of a dick
were all manly fans
save the hate and the bagging for those purple prick fans
all 6 of them :D

Cliffy Gc link said:
[quote author=Cliffy Gc link=topic=178613.msg199417#msg199417 date=1222953495]
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=178613.msg199395#msg199395 date=1222939973]

were all manly fans
[/quote]
question mata
u edited my post why????

Its not like i bagged the box with dots

but i should
[/quote]

I didn't edit your post - I edited my quote to take out the inflammatory comment. 

Cliffy Gc link said:
[quote author=Duff link=topic=178613.msg199432#msg199432 date=1222958401]

were all manly fans
[/quote]

Not really. I don't know if you get to many games but a couple of years back there were quite a few trouble makers & arrogant wankers that hung around the top of the hill with Eagle Rockers on their back. They've pretty much gone now, I don't know to where & I don't care.
They were the ones who dragged the ER name down for the good blokes amongst them, many of whom I'd now consider mates.

Your post makes you look like a bit of a dick really. Just like most of your other ones. :p

Duff link said:
[quote author=Cliffy Gc link=topic=178613.msg199451#msg199451 date=1222984782]
[quote author=Duff link=topic=178613.msg199432#msg199432 date=1222958401]

were all manly fans
[/quote]

Not really. I don't know if you get to many games but a couple of years back there were quite a few trouble makers & arrogant wankers that hung around the top of the hill with Eagle Rockers on their back. They've pretty much gone now, I don't know to where & I don't care.
They were the ones who dragged the ER name down for the good blokes amongst them, many of whom I'd now consider mates.

Your post makes you look like a bit of a dick really. Just like most of your other ones. :p
[/quote]look just cos my names cameron smith doesnt mean im a c#nt ok
hahahahahah stop making me the scapegoat ;)

Enough guys......

Points have been made and the only place I can see the current line of conversation going is down hill and an escalation of old battles.

No, I thought my whole point was that the old battles are over now.

Sorry if it came accross otherwise.

Peace.

Duff, your initial point certainly didn't come across that way. Not every member of the Eagle Rockers was (is)  my cup of tea, but you seem more interested in conveying the  point that Silvertails forum members **** don't stink!

However, apologies noted and lets move forward to a glorious victory on Sunday as a united supporter group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4