Shoulder charge to be BANNED

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Great stuff Isz. Of all the tackles on the clip just about every one has an arm going around the player with a shoulder reinforcement. Are they, or any of them, shoulder charges? Not the way I think of them. If this is now illegal they might as well throw on pink tutus.

MB I would think it is the t-Rex / sonny bill style they would target

lsz said:

Spot on!! Least matai has his arms out to wrap up the player.

Darren you can be a real douche. Matai is one of the top 5 centres in the world. Wake up mate.

Napper said:
lsz said:

Spot on!! Least matai has his arms out to wrap up the player.

Darren you can be a real douche. Matai is one of the top 5 centres in the world. Wake up mate.

Sandow will be under scrutiny. Matai is fine.

Brissie Kid said:
Rex said:
R + L = I

Increased knowledge of Risks + shift in Litigation = Inevitability of banning of shoulder charge.

What's the new knowledge of risk? Always expect to be hit hard if you run with the ball in rugby league. Why is the concussion from other tackles and accidents not subjected to the same formula & banning? Are concussions from everything else less damaging to the brain somehow.

What's the new knowledge of risk? What authority would you rely on BK? Uniformed thought passing through your consciousness?

If you want professional, expert, informed opinion, then speak to the people responsible for diagnosing and treating people with head injuries on a day-to-day basis. These doctors effectively speak with a single voice on this issue. And they back it up with research.

Brookie said:
i'm just worried blokes like Matai will be targetted even more than he usually is now....
something we don't need as a club!

Makes Matai less intimidating to the opposition now, they know they're not gonna cop it from him anymore.
very rarley does Matai wrap his arms around in one of his big hits, its usually a shoulder charge!

You Sir, are the dummy.

you didn't even watch the vid did you stevo?

under the new rules 90% of his hits are considered shoulder charges and will be pulled up.

its not my style to get into a slanging match on forums but any one who thinks matai won't have to change his tackling style is well.... a dummy!

How do you come up with 90% of those being shoulder charges ?

90% of them are classic shots, not shoulder charges. 1st point of impact being the shoulder doesn't mean they are shoulder charges

As a fan of big hits including shoulder charges at least it will now be black & white. I mean last season there were plenty of these tackles I thought were 100% ok, yet players were on report & often penalised.
Sad this is outlawed imo but its frustrating seeing the consistency in this area. I recall Warea Hargraves cop a ripper in a final - 2010?? from a young Tigers rookie & was left knocked out & it was, imo, rightly ruled a sweet tackle.
Last season the bloke would have got sent off for it.
The ruling is a poor decision imo but its not gunna change, not in 2013 anyways.

Kiwi Eagle said:

90% of them are classic shots, not shoulder charges. 1st point of impact being the shoulder doesn't mean they are shoulder charges
maths mate, probably something you didn't learn to much about being a kiwi?

fark, i swear you just pick a few posters on here and argue just for arguements sake? i seem to be one?

so are you saying matai won't have to adjust his tackling style at all? even with the new rule and you agreeing with me that his first point of contact is usually the SHOULDER?
are you saying he WON'T be targetted even more than he is already?

you seem to think you know everything about any kiwi background player, so why act all naive about matai and his style now?

i'm breaking my own rule about getting into slanging matches on forums.....doh!

Brookie i would say it is when there is no attempt to wrap the arms around rather than the first point of contact. Rugger fans feel free to correct me but i am pretty sure that is how they define it

An example is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuFZIdYH_ms first contact with the shoulder but not illegal

Otherwise how else could someone tackle?

lsz said:
Brookie i would say it is when there is no attempt to wrap the arms around rather than the first point of contact. Rugger fans feel free to correct me but i am pretty sure that is how they define it

An example is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuFZIdYH_ms first contact with the shoulder but not illegal

Otherwise how else could someone tackle?

Exactly. Anyone that has played either League or Union would know that in a text book tackle the 1st point of contact is with the shoulders then followed by the arms & hands.

Brookie said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

maths mate, probably something you didn't learn to much about being a kiwi?

fark, i swear you just pick a few posters on here and argue just for arguements sake? i seem to be one?

so are you saying matai won't have to adjust his tackling style at all? even with the new rule and you agreeing with me that his first point of contact is usually the SHOULDER?
are you saying he WON'T be targetted even more than he is already?

you seem to think you know everything about any kiwi background player, so why act all naive about matai and his style now?

i'm breaking my own rule about getting into slanging matches on forums.....doh!

I don't know why you would think I would single you out for any special treatment lol, I have better stuff to do with my time than stalk some character on a forum. Is there something I'm missing with you ? No idea what you're on about

My very basic maths tells me you believe 9/10 Matai tackles are shoulder charges, Simply incorrect

All I can grasp from that is that you are either confused or have no idea what a shoulder charge actually is. 1st point of contact being the shoulder does not constitue a shoulder charge. If you want to refer to the video, look at the hits on Dean Young and Ben Harris and you will see copybook tackles, and I think you consider them shoulder charges

Next up, the funniest part of all, explain exactly how I think I know everything about every kiwi player, I'd be keen to learn about that one.
As for Matais technique, all he needs to change is the point of contact getting too high at times. The people that this rule actually effect are the Sandow types, he is Australian so maybe you will have a touch more expertise than me on his style

sandow will still end up on his arse and get penalised!

my point is matai will be targetted more now
i know what a shoulder charge is, i have played both union and league and a decent level

Darren said:
Goodbye Matai, good idea we signed a heap of young centres.

You are joking aren't you? Matai's defence is fantastic and even taking away the very odd shoulder charge, it will remain that way.

And then his attacking ability, especially from dummy half.

Sorry Darren, you're on another planet with that comment.

Wait a sec! I'm confused. Is it deemed a high tackle or a shoulder charge if the first point of contact is the nose regardless of what the weapon is? lol

Darren said:
Goodbye Matai, good idea we signed a heap of young centres.

You would think with your track record you might have learnt by now !!

After 09 you had Robertson too slow, Matai too slow and no attacking ability, Lyon too slow and his best days behind him, Kite past it, Glenn Stewart never to play rep footy again and wanted Brett Stewart punted from the club, all proved wrong but you still keep coming back for more !! Lol

I'm bemused by Brookie's interpretation of a shoulder charge.

Put simply, if you are wrapping your arms around the player then it is not a shoulder charge, irrespective of whether or not the shoulder hits marginally first.

Brookie's muddying of what constitutes a shoulder charge is perhaps part of the greater muddying that has led to the mass hysteria around banning them. The video above clearly shows Matai makes his huge hits without the need for shoulder charges.

Shoulder charges are a relatively rare tackle so their banning will have very little impact on the high impact-style of rugby league, and will only result in a significant change to those high impact tackles with a high frequency of dangerous head contact.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6