Shoulder charge to be BANNED

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Apparently there's a presser tomorrow announcing the comps new name.
It will now be the NHL - National Handbag League.

Napper said:
Shoulder charge to be BANNED
http://www.nrl.com/commission-to-outlaw-shoulder-charge/tabid/10874/newsid/70416/default.aspx
This is about reducing a potential risk of serious injury to our players,” NRL Interim Chief Executive, Mr Shane Mattiske, said today.

“The Commission has gone through a thorough review process and been public in warning players about the risks of illegal play.

“The report shows that the shoulder charge is not a significant part of the game and its removal is not likely to impact on the way the game is played.

“With the increase in size and strength of the players, we believe this is the time to eliminate a potential risk.”
You want more risk? Meatheads. If all you want is blood, why not just call for the lions to come out versus the Christians? A shoulder tackle low to the mid-section won't attract a penalty, it is the potentially catastrophic hits to the head that are the concern.

If you don't like it go cheer for UFC or some other 'sport'. Maybe cock-fighting will satisfy your blood-lust.

How many former NRL players have had the same issues documented by the NFL?

Oh none? Game has gone soft over summer,Origin will die faster thankfully

My thing is this - Australia plays New Zealand next year as per usual prior to origin.
This game isn't run by the ARLC rules and played under international rules (hence the one ref) - so shoulder away boys.
Players that do so shouldn't be cited.

If only the players could organise is decent players association then they may get some input into these decisions. At the moment, they have 'twitter.'

I wonder if they will ban accidental head clashes and accidental knees, feet and elbows to the head.

The percentage of shoulder charges that go wrong would be minimal.

Stupid decision.

byso said:
lsz said:
Less of a spectacle for the game but is it better for player welfare??

Yep, it's a good decision. I guess Matai will be less effective now.

Why ? His big hits are proper tackles

Eagles Terrorist said:
A good decision. Never a lot of skill involved. Glad to see it gone.

There is more skill involved in timing a shoulder charge right than a leg tackle

We probably need to find out exactly how they propose to define 'shoulder charge'.

But if that's true that 17% of shoulder charges (?) made contact with the head last year, then obviously they have to look at that. If someone was badly hurt the commission could hardley pretend they weren't on notice about the potential risk. It's all about insurance and duty of care, I'd say.

If they are banning SC all together this is bollocks..... this decisoin has been made by plonkers in an office that havent even canvassed there number 1 asset... the players.

I cant understand with al the issues that need to be corrected in the game they have chosen a tiny piece of the game to make a call on. I thin i read this morning there were only something like 17 actual shoulder charges last year!!!!!!!!!

if you do it and whack someone in the chin, then its your fault and you pay the penalty..... body on body contact is fine

MOVE ON

Don't ban this guy. It is my belief that Shoulder Charge should be presumed innocent until the court case.
Being sensible now, I agree with SER8. They need to clearly define this rule before kickoff otherwise it's going to be seriously misinterpreted and penalty milking plus whistle blowing is going to rife.
Though, if they get rid of clearly intended dangerous hits aimed at taking guys out for the game then this can only be good. I'll always remember what Crocker did to Snake in the '07 GF. He took him out and should have been sent off.

Banning shoulder charges isn't the right way to police the issue. A proper shoulder charge is one of the mose effective tackles in rugby league. If the shoulder charge isnt defined before kick off there are going to be alot of unneccesary penalties, or resulting defensive lapses cause people are too scared to make a good tackle.

You can just see a good tackle that is a 'shoulder first in the tackle' being penalised.

Instead of bannig it, they need to lift the repercussions for getting it wrong. GI should have been given 12wks for his hit. Players will be more relectutant to try it if they are given hefty penalties.

The Eagle said:
How many former NRL players have had the same issues documented by the NFL?

Oh none? Game has gone soft over summer,Origin will die faster thankfully

Watch the 4 Corners report "Hard Knocks" that looks at head injuries in Union & League. Former Cowboys player Shaun Valentine is interviewed. You would be very naive to think there are no former League players without brain injuries resulting from their playing days.

It looks like I'm in the minority here, but this decision doesn't worry me. While shoulder charges a visually spectacular, they are more often than not ineffective. Firstly, the usual result is the two players bounce off each other and the attacker goes on to make a couple of more metres. Secondly, there is a definite injury risk, usually to the defender. Think of $BW recurring shoulder problems when he was previously in League, mainly due to his poor tackling technique IMO. Or, the much replayed Harrogan hit on Spud (as much as I do love watching that ;)).

I assume, and hope, that the ruling will be similar to Union where you can use the shoulder, as long as you don't contact the head, and are attempting to make a legitimate tackle, ie attempting to use your arms as well.

Hahaha!! Gotta love big George...this from twitter!

george rose‏@gorgeousgrose

Whether its banned or not @D_LUSSICK and @Rex_tokz can expect at least one big boy flyin outta the line for a shoulder charge when we clash!

With the banning of the shoulder charge I will now focus on backflip training and freakish try scoring training. For highlight reel purposes

SeaEagleRock8 said:
We probably need to find out exactly how they propose to define 'shoulder charge'.

But if that's true that 17% of shoulder charges (?) made contact with the head last year, then obviously they have to look at that. If someone was badly hurt the commission could hardley pretend they weren't on notice about the potential risk. It's all about insurance and duty of care, I'd say.

Yeah 17% made contact with the head. But......

Shoulder charges made up 0.05% of the 142,355 tackles made in 2012

That's bugger all.

less than 4% of these resulted in injury to the attacking player and less than 1% to the defensive player

That's even more bugger all!

This is a joke. in my view every front on tackle could then be classified as a shoulder charge. When you ht, you hit with the shoulder first and the arms assist. They should just ban a player for 12 weeks if they do a shoulder charge that goes wrong and see how often they go wrong then. The GI one was dangerous, what did they do about it, nothing much from memory. The league is not serious about genuine protection only butt covering. AFL is now officially, yes officially, a tougher sport than NRL. When I want to watch touch footbal I will go to the local park in Townsville to do so. Nine may wish they didn't spend the money soon enough.

I know this would never happen, but i'd love to see the players and coaches completely defy this rule.

Imagine all the teams coming out in the early rounds committing shoulder charges galore.

The judicary suspending 20-30 players each round by round 3, 100 players are suspended.

That would really put egg on ARLC's face, to see all there superstars out and channel 9 going ballistic because they paid 1 billion dollars for NSW cup quality footy.

In all seriousness though, this is a shocking decision. All that was needed was to ramp up the penalties for contact with the head (be it accidental or not) due to a shoulder charge. If you attempt in and get it wrong, minimum 6 weeks ranging up to 12.

I reckon this 'no SC' rule will cause more controversy than the one it replaces. To me (and comments from almost every RL fan) there is no problem with a SC if it is done properly. The problem comes when it hits the head and not the body.
My suggestion is not to ban SCs, just increase the penalties for those that go wrong and come in contact with the head.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6