Should there be a summer cup?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Daddycool08

Reserve Grader
Just a thought folks.

I would envisage this to be a challenge type cup pro-am style. Similar to the old Amco Cup played during the week at night.

The top-line 25 players of each NRL club would be excluded. So it would be NSW cup, Youth League, Country and maybe the islands such as PNG, Western, Southern and Northern Territory type standard.

This would allow teams to compete in a knock-out or round robin format and at least give the fans something to watch and support during the off-season.

Run it over two months (December and January) telecast three games per week in regional centres such as Lithgow, Bourke etc. and have the winner and runner up get some prize money.

Reason for such a suggestion is the success of the nines that IMHO will only grow bigger as time goes on and I fervently hope the nines can expand to include UK and other geographical areas as well.

Advantages:

Revenue stream with additional sponsorship.
Country clubs and other lesser lights may become noticed by NRL scouts.
Bringing rugby league to the bush and supporting grass roots RL.
No burnout of the elite players anyway.
Proposed rule changes could be trialled during these games such as the four quarter 100 minute game.

Disadvantages:

A bit more work for the governing body to do in advertising, TV rights and sponsorship.
Too much footy anyway.

I like the idea but not in summer. Make it wed nights, a knockout comp like the 70s and early 80s.

There used to be another weird comp for the teams that missed the semis. Norths won it I think. That was a bad idea.

Peter C said:
Eagles2nv said:
I dont mind your idea, but the cricket gets me through the summer :)

You're lucky

Haha, for me it just isnt summer without cricket. This year there is a smorgasbord of cricket with the 4 tests, ODI world cup and BBL.

... and when its all over were back to the footy :D

Unlike @Bones I like the test cricket & the BBL cricket, and just think footy is a winter game, so nice idea but not for me!!

Besides up this way someone would die in the humidity and heat and that would kill the game ( no pun intended ) in a heartbeat !!

Pretty young girls in short skirts (Tennis) vs
more footy in the summer?

Pass me another nice, cold bevvy and I'll take
about 0.0001 second to think about that one.

Bandit said:
Pretty young girls in short skirts (Tennis) vs
more footy in the summer?

Pass me another nice, cold bevvy and I'll take
about 0.0001 second to think about that one.

Their screaming puts me off.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfukIEltJiw[/video]

I just mentioned it because Soccer is played in the Summer A league and in winter local soccer is played.

So soccer is played all year round and rugby league is only played during 'winter' that is how other codes are getting ahead of us.

bones said:
Mark from Brisbane said:
Unlike @Bones I like the test cricket & the BBL cricket, and just think footy is a winter game, so nice idea but not for me!!

Why don't you like me? :(

Canya Understand Normal Thinking?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7