Should the players do a lap at end of the game?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Killer03

Bencher
After last night and previous games I've been to, it made me think. Should the players (at home games) do a lap around the oval win, lose or draw? It's great to do a lap when you've won and I love it too, but should they also do it after a loss?

I'm not suggesting that we as fans get the opportunity to yell abuse at our players, but maybe it doesn't hurt for them to see the disappointment in our eyes and faces after a loss?

Perhaps as fans we don't want to engage with the players after a loss, but I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts.

You should be aware there's an etiquette , they can't do it at away games , only home sides can do so.

I doubt very much if they would want to do a lap if they lost, and especially the losses of the last two weeks.

In relation to part 1 ( above) I have seen them come all the way to the fence and embrace the core group of fans ( at away games ) a few times , but it's not supposed to happen.

After last night and previous games I've been to, it made me think. Should the players (at home games) do a lap around the oval win, lose or draw? It's great to do a lap when you've won and I love it too, but should they also do it after a loss?

I'm not suggesting that we as fans get the opportunity to yell abuse at our players, but maybe it doesn't hurt for them to see the disappointment in our eyes and faces after a loss?

Perhaps as fans we don't want to engage with the players after a loss, but I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts.
mmmm, Lap of Dishonour

might be a marketing aspect to it.....

I'm ok with them doing a lap of honour, as long as after they get smashed for the second week straight, they don't laugh up a storm, and show little disappointment.

I was devastated after these losses, but to see Foran / DCE laughing and cheering straight after their crap play knocked us out of the season, it really upset me.

I remember Ben Kennedy after losing to The Knights one day. Danny Buderus went up to him to shake his hands, and you could clearly read his lips in saying "**** off Bedsy".

I remember Jason King getting injured one day, going into the change rooms, and being so upset that he flipped over the furniture.

I remember seeing Des at half time against Parramatta, talking to his players, and ripping the door off the hinges.

That's the culture and passion we've come to get used to. When Foran was interviewed, and again it steered towards the Eels (at a Manly game) he couldn't stop grinning.

The heart for our club has been torn out at management level. Unfortunately, all the Manly passion and spirit is no longer with the playing group.

And I put that down to Foran / Watmough / Matai / DCE all openly looking elsewhere and Foran openly disrespecting Toovey (clearing of the air meeting - yikes)...as others have said, this isnt really Manly anymore.

Just a group of young kids, wanting the most cash, in as short a time, playing for an owner that has 0 respect for loyalty or what our club has always stood for.

And Penn and Peters are STILL obsessively stuck on their pet theory that not offering Gift a contract was a mistake? And that the exited Choc and Foz are all that is good in Manly? Really?

Our dire injury situation would only have been worse if we'd kept the aging Gift and Choc. Champions of their time. And both barely saw the playing field this season and neither showed much while there.

I was devastated after these losses, but to see Foran / DCE laughing and cheering straight after their crap play knocked us out of the season, it really upset me.

If looking pissed off after a loss was a prerequisite for being one of our halves. you and I mate, would be legends.

Singling out those two is unfair when every player from every team does it. Just a sign of the times.

Of course they should have fronted the crowd to say thanks and farewell. Look at Newcastle with Gidley.They lost (may still get the spoon) but the whole team were out on the ground. Another p1ss poor management shortfall in having nothing official for Tooves and the players.

Every NRL team should do a steady lap of the fence at every home ground after the game, regardless. Engaging with their fans, taking their time etc.
Sure, if they get flogged, show some remorse, be apologetic etc.
But plenty of fans want to clap them on the back, shake their hands etc for much more than the previous 80mins on the field that day.

A lap of the oval after a loss is ok if it's the final home game & it's players that are leaving/retiring that are doing it.

I wonder if Fozzy Bear got any "on yer bike" comments? ;)

I only got down to one game this year and took my 8 yr old for the first time. He took his Matt Ballin card hoping to see his hero up close. We won and the players did the lap to thank the crowd and Will got to meet his hero. I'd hate to think he would of missed that opportunity if they'd lost.

Lap of honour is probably the wrong name for it, as I've always thought it to be about the crowd rather than the players. A chance for them to thank the crowd for coming out and stop for a couple of photos or autographs. Maybe it should be called a lap of appreciation. For this reason I think they should do it at home games win, lose, or draw.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4