should the NRL take note of the MLB?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

castle eagle

Bencher
Tipping Member
last night in the world series baseball there was a highly controversial decision that decided the game.
after the game both teams held their press conferences and the umpires also held a press conference to explain the decision. that way any issues could be resolved immediately.
it would be good to hear the referees explain their decisions rather than the current 'say nothing & hope we will all forget about it' style.

And be accountable? Stop making sense.

I think that we'd just get a load of "we called it how we saw it, guess we were wrong."

The real issue (for me) is to stop these damn mistakes happening so frequently.

They probably need a combination of:

1)Better referee training
2)Non biased 'ex player' videeo assistants.
3) Video refs to chime in quickly when they see mistakes (ala roosters kicking the ball out, refs missed it)
4) Better trained touchies with a more defined role (they do bugger all)
5) Captains call.
6) Players not to all flood in at the ref when he signals for a third umpire decision.

Link re basball for anyone int.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/cards-walk-obstruction-call-claim-game-3-bosox-article-1.1497890

A recent study into mlb umpires showed that they get something like 99% of line calls right and 96% of ball/strike calls right. Now compare that to the nrl GF.

The difference was the obstruction rule was called correctly immediately by the third base umpire and relayed to the ump at home plate.

If you get the decisions correct in the first place you don't have to explain yourself.

Exactly Commander. They didn't have to explain themselves but guess what they did anyway.

THAT'S WHAT I SAID!

sheesh.

You guys are just grumpy 'cause it's still sunday here :p

I blame Phil Gould and his campaign to get rid of the Video Ref being able to tip off the on field ref.

I was a fan of it from day one right up to and including the day it was scrapped. It resulted in most of the obvious decisions being right. Had we had that system on GF day the bulk of the rubbish decisions would have been right and the result different.

It's all good and well to say we just have to accept that referees aren't perfect, until a GF is decided by one or more of those decisions. I can accept the contious ones are subjective, but a player sticking out their foot and touching the ball is as simple as it gets.

the commentators were responsible for two referees which is a complete failure if you ask me

The commentators were responsible for the video ref being unable to chime in

The answer here is to let the referees do their job and stop listening to these fools.

They need to ask the fans, if it is a choice between a marginally slower game and getting calls right, than a faster game with extremely poor calls every game, the slower game wins for me hands down every time

Get rid of the 2nd ref, allow the video ref to help the ref when he can. Get rid of the interchange except for bloodbin/injuries from foul play etc.

Oh yeah, get rid of the coaching of refs that encourages them to enter matches with a pre-conceived idea of who are going to offend, ref the game as you see it unfold in front of you.

There was one a few years ago in the mlb where the umpire stuffed up hugely and cost a kid a perfect game. He walked straight into the press conference annoyed more then anyone else and said I stuffed up and just cost that kid the best day of his life.

Good way for the ref/ umpire to get it off his chest and move on himself

With the speed of the game now, some of the rules need to be looked at. The stripping is the most controversial. Had O'Donnell been called for a lost ball rather then get the penalty for stripping we would be 10 out with a set of six from the scrum. This is just one instance that affects games. The others I think need to be looked at are the cannonball, are we the only team that don't do it? The high tackle, if a player is falling but hit in the head how is that a high hit. Dummy halves pushing the tackler off the tackled player effectively making him offside and out of the defense.

castle eagle said:
last night in the world series baseball there was a highly controversial decision that decided the game.
after the game both teams held their press conferences and the umpires also held a press conference to explain the decision. that way any issues could be resolved immediately.
it would be good to hear the referees explain their decisions rather than the current 'say nothing & hope we will all forget about it' style.

Exactly. The NRL officiating looks draconian, illogical and backwards in comparison. There is a lack of consistency in the refereeing and the accountability of their decisions (which makes it ok for them to continue performing badly)

My guess is the refereeing will stay aweful and hugely subjective for years to come. It all depends on how the ref feels at the time about the two teams he is officiating - which is unfair and wrong, as we all know. This NRL commission dont have the logic or intelligence to make things better.

The games biggest problem with having the video ref is them making judgement calls on 50/50 decisions and alot of that stems for the rules themselves not being so much black and white but shades of grey. Stripping rule is still the most difficult to ascertain, was it stripped or was it just poor ball security? You see a defender with his hand on the ball, but was he trying to strip it or just wrap it up?

We could say better refs is the answer but the only real solution is for players not to try and cheat!

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2