Should I buy a dog?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If you do get a dog make sure you name him Des
imagesCAGO80EZ.jpg

I was raised with two (one after the other) black and white Border Collie-Kelpies (there are rust coloured ones as well). They're basically sheep dogs and the only thing to watch is they tend to chase cars. But gentle as lambs with kids (When I was 3 it used to follow me everywhere, and if I got lost it's bark assisted searchers to find me). Very active, love playing games, chasing balls etc. Easy to train. Devoted dogs, I dont recall them biting. Middle sized and love attention. Great dog.

If you get a dog, get a rescue dog. Puppy mill owners should be shot on sight.

However the fact you are allergic, plus you and your wifey are busy, plus kids won't look after it no matter what they promise, sounds like you shouldn't get one at this time if the commitment can't be there.

However, however....sounds like you're going to get a dog. Mine is sleeping by the fireplace as we speak.
Puppy mill owners :mad:
I'll help you load the god
And what's this got to do with rugby league?
Oh yeah, you own the site... carry on!

Yes get a dog!View attachment 3152
Bloody Penn, Crowe, and Packers influence....oh look at me...I own it ...I'll do what I want! Lol :giggle:

Look up animal rescue / dog rescue groups in your area, they will be happy for you to Forster a dog whilst it is being rehomed, it will give you a chance to assess your suitability to owning a dog and your helping the dog. Just tell the kids to treat it as a trial and if they can look after it you can get a forever dog.

Mate, if you are worried about allergies look into getting a Löwchen. They are supposed to be good for people with allergies. Very very friendly especially with kids and you don't need a big place as they are a small dog.

Grow the fur on them and you can have it looking like a lion to scare the intruders away.

I don't want to get all preachy but I'm going to (sorry if any of this seems condescending).
If you're going to get one, definitely adopt. Plenty of hypo-allergenic dog breeds out there, I'm sure there'll be one in a shelter somewhere. Even consider adopting a senior dog, they're amazing and would do great in an apartment.
Remember they need constant worming, as well as regular vet checks. If you do get a dog, consider premium dog food as well, might seem expensive but can eventually save you a ton on dentals and other health issues.
Training them might seem like a task but they'll reward you. Bringing one into your family means treating it like family, it's what they see you as, so if you're not prepared to do all this then it's a big no from me.

I doubt I will ever have a time in my life that I will not have a Chinese Shar Pei.

You should give some lucky dog a good home. It doesnt really matter what breed, but get something that suits your family and living situation.

Unless getting one from a shelter my only thing is get a proper pedigree dog and don't buy it from a "puppy farm".

Two dogs are better than one. Three dogs are better than two, especially in a cold climate.I'd be getting four dogs in case of a cold snap.

Only if you and your family will have the time to care for, feed, exercise and train them regularly.

Always look at Rescue/adoption dogs, there's so many that need it.

- Puppy pre-school and dog training is excellent.
- You need some reasonable grassy yard area.
- They need fresh cool water, good shade and areas they are comfortable resting/sleeping (not just concrete).
- Socialization with other dogs is important also.
- Ensure they are/ or get them desexed, micro-chipped, vaccinated as recommended and checked by your vet regularly.
- Those beige tick-prevention collars (that last for a couple of months or whatever) are a good idea during spring & summer, but still regularly check their skin for ticks, fleas, scabs, wounds etc.
- If nobody is home regularly during working hours etc. to engage with & exercise the dog etc., all the more reason to get at least 2 dogs. (I wish I'd gotten 2 dogs when we got ours).

Dogs are family. Whilst personally I believe home beds & lounges are no places for dogs, and they generally should live outside, they are family members and should be loved & considered such (within reason).

We live in what in Australia would be a townhouse, here it's a house :). Have a yard and plenty of greenery around, now live about 7kms from the dead centre which in Sydney terms is like living in Avalon. Miles away but actually only takes me 25 mins to ride my bike to work.

I have strict conditions on a dog which includes children and owner training as well as puppy pre school for the dog. I want the kids and my wife to know how to care properly for it particularly as I won't be around as much as I was with our Australian dogs to look after them. They need to know what they are getting into.

I personally want a rescue dog but I'm having a hard time selling that idea.

Still my kids and wife have to pass a few tests before I give the nod even though I know the dog will end up being my buddy more than theirs

Truth be told.....our current one wasn't a rescue but it was 'purchased' 13 years ago from a reputable dealer, which I think most of us are saying.

Good to hear you're all about training all parties! :)

sCerUHK.jpg

Make your own dog! All you have to do is get a dog and let it have puppies, then keep one. Then wait for the first one to die (10-12 years should do it), and ... voila!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8