Sheens and Watmough

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

silvertail

Reserve Grader
England v Australia Final - Lewis starts Watmough on bench
THURSDAY, 12 NOVEMBER 2009 14:25
Sporting Life: Penrith Panthers second-rower Luke Lewis will start his first match for Australia in Saturday's Gillette Four Nations final against England at Elland Road. The 26-year-old winger-turned-forward made his Test debut as a substitute in the Kangaroos' 26-16 win over England at Wigan last month and was also on the bench for their 42-4 win over France on Saturday. His promotion to the starting line-up, at the expense of Manly's Anthony Watmough, is the only surprise in coach Tim Sheens' team, which is otherwise unchanged from the first meeting with England.
Sheens has yet to finalise his bench from a six-man panel which includes centre Michael Jennings, who scored a hat-trick on debut against France, and utility player Kurt Gidley, who was the coach's man of the match in Paris.
If the rain continues, Sheens may leave out both Jennings and Gidley and opt for four forwards on the bench.
Full team: B Slater (Melbourne); J Hayne (Parramatta), G Inglis (Melbourne), J Hodges (Brisbane), B Morris (St George Illawarra); D Lockyer (Brisbane, capt), J Thurston (North Queensland); P Civoniceva (Penrith), C Smith (Melbourne), B Hannant (Canterbury), L Lewis (Penrith), P Gallen (Cronulla), N Hindmarsh (Parramatta).
Subs (from): D Shillington (Canberra), S Thaiday (Brisbane), A Watmough (Manly), K Gidley (Newcastle), M Jennings (Penrith), B White (Melbourne).
LAST UPDATED ON FRIDAY, 13 NOVEMBER 2009 00:40

Post  automatically merged: [time]1302007836[/time]

No grudge ... Anthony Watmough at Kangaroos training (right) as Tim Sheens looks on. Picture: Colleen Petch Source: The Daily Telegraph
THE tension started on the French leg of last year's Four Nations tour when Australian coach Tim Sheens privately questioned Anthony Watmough's attitude.

It had been a gruelling 10-month season and Watmough was tired. But Sheens was coach of Australia and expected more.

The pair never argued but were more than happy for the tour to end so they could part company.

Just last week, talk of the drama emerged publicly and Watmough felt strong enough to pick up his phone and give Sheens a call.

The Manly back-rower yesterday played down any strained relationship and said he just wanted to represent Australia again.

His comments came as the Kangaroos gathered for the first time yesterday to prepare for the Four Nations against England, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea.

"I read it in the paper and a mate of mine texted me," Watmough said. "I don't know where it came from but I wanted to put a stop to it.

RELATED COVERAGE
Race slur: Young, Farah fix fences

"I got his [Sheens'] number from our football manager [Manly's Steve Gigg] and rang him. Tim said he wanted to talk to me as well.

"There was no issue. I would love to play in the green and gold again and love to play under him.

"He said if I was fit I would be in the team. It's something that has been blown right out of proportion.

"If I didn't want to play, I wouldn't want to be here. Tim's a good coach and I can learn a lot from him. I learned a lot from him last year.

"It's just one of those weird things. Someone says something. Any little thing can start a rumour. We have a united front now."

Watmough struggled late this season because of injuries.

Rather than withdraw, Watmough displayed his courage and helped Manly into the semi-finals for the sixth successive year.

Now fit and fresh after a month's rest, Watmough is ready to surge back into Test calculations.

Asked where he sat in the forward pecking order, Watmough said: "Last. I didn't have the best of years. It was no fun playing injured."

Pressed on whether he felt lucky with his selection, Watmough said: "One hundred per cent. They have been loyal to me. I want to prove a lot of people wrong.

"It's hard to play good for so long. People expect it but I realised this year it's hard to do it week in, week out with injuries. But I feel good now.

"The body has had a few weeks to heal."

Australia trained yesterday afternoon at WIN Jubilee and will return to Kogarah again this afternoon for another session. They will train tomorrow morning at Parramatta Stadium.

Sheens' team will play their first match against Papua New Guinea on Sunday week at Parramatta Stadium.

I thought this was going to be about tiger blood

THE tension started on the French leg of last year's Four Nations tour when Australian coach Tim Sheens privately questioned Anthony Watmough's attitude.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6