Sharks boss claims dogs are inflating player prices

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Eagles2nv

DESpicable Manly
The Chairman of the Sharks is stating that the Bulldogs are inflating the price of players by paying/offering ridiculous amount of coin for players.

Toovey has also hit out at the their attempt to lure Peta Hiku.

Now there are reports that souffs are willing to give george burgess $1m a season.

I agree with the sharks chairman. The bought not bred culture is causing inflation in the market. Its becoming a joke.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/bulldogs-are-inflating-player-market-says-sharks-chairman-20140320-hvkwi.html

RE: Sharks boss claims dog are inflating player prices

That's the trouble, clubs like the Bulldogs can only attract the players if they pay them large amounts of money due to bad reputations and poor culture. Obviously the coach has proven not to be such have good lure as the Bulldogs had thought so high dollars is the only way. I guess for a club with plenty of money they can do it. I agree, something needs to be done or the basic salary cap will continue to be the joke it is. I think the NRL deep down knows the strategy they just need to have the determination to implement to the strategy, oh well, time will tell.

Can someone tell me anything good that the new NRL commission has done since they started?

Snouts in the trough for these blokes who are running the place like a political party full of nepotism.

I just read a quote from our former boss Grant Meyer, who is now with the struggling Tigers. Bemoaning the lack of compensation when home-grown players are poached he reportedly said: "clubs like the Sydney Rooster and MANLY win comps on the back of buying players".
What a disgrace linking Manly to Easts.
As has been pointed out, Manly rarely buys established players; that's what Easts and Canterbury always do.
If that quote is accurate I'm extremely disappointed in Meyer.
No mention of homegrown players Hopaote, Lussick, Olfield etc. being poached from us?

Bit hard for Manly to bleat too loudly on this topic. Of course these days we are one of the poorer clubs and without the abundant 3rd parties that some other clubs have, our recruitment is necessarily restricted. But it was not always thus.

Didn't the Tigers poach Blair from the storm on massive money.

Anyway we have bought 2 players for next year Fafita and Lichaa, Cronulla shouldn't really complain they bought half their players from the Tigpies.

Good to see nothing has changed though, My good old Bulldogs copping it from all angles. I enjoy it makes for some good reading.

Oh and I forgot Lichaa is of Lebanese heritage so it's fitting he will be a Bulldog :)

I do think the Dogs are well and truly paying overs, but the question I would have if I was the boss of the Dogs (or the Broncos) is why are we needing to pay overs for players?

This is something that Souths had to do when they re-entered the competition.

The Broncos were a team that always could pay unders, not anymore. And the Dogs make a Grand Final in 2012 and supposedly have one of the best coaches in the business.....but can't attract quality players for reasonable money? Warning bells on the culture and the coaching staff.

I think the salary c(r)rap is just that.

I say this as a senior accountant. Many people think that numbers are black and white I will tell you they are not.

If we put 20 accountants in a room to produce a net profit we would in all likelihood get almost 20 different answers. This is mainly due to interpretation of the facts presented and the numbers supplied.

Each of these 20 sets of figures can be audited and they will 'pass' the audit without a contradiction.

That is why I have said there should be a point system.

One Million for one of the Burgess boys....wow that is big money....probably makes DCE worth two, Thurston three....where does it stop??

Dogs inflating the market with back ended contracts because they are fed future salary cap figures from guess who ??? Bald headed fwit.

i dont think the whole issue is addressed here. In order for a player to accept less to stay they have to be confident the team is going places, the club is secure and strong as well as a healthy respect for the player group

With so much speculation about what might happen to cronulla, players signing new 3 or 4 year contracts are right in the firing line when it comes to possible fallout if the club was to go broke, be merged or relocated

Current player negs at cronulla must weigh this up also in their thinking. It becomes a lot easier to take more cash to go elsewhere when the cureent employers future is uncertain

While i hate the dogs cronulla have probably shot themselves in the foot rather than the dogs recruitment plan. In theory the dogs probably paid too much considering the situation especially with the hooker

This is a smokescreen by cronulla to not panic the players to the bleeding obvious. The talent is deserting the sinking ship

jbb/james said:
.. the players to the bleeding obvious. The talent is deserting the sinking ship

^^^ This - and its happening at Wests Tigers too.

The NRL are shrinking to an 10 Team competitive structure very quickly.

Apart from Parra and Newcastle, I can't see the Fans of the weak/weakened Clubs paying to watch their Team get lapped:s

Grant Mayer should no better as he was once our CEO.

The last ten years has been all about bringing through young players together.

When you look at the core that we have in our first team now and consider that JWH at the chooks was part of that group too.

The readies that what the whinging worms threw at Hoppa was amazing, I fear that its going to be hard to retain good juniors as the NRL run by Greenturd are turning a blind eye while predators like the rorters and dirty dogs help themselve.

The Who said:
I just read a quote from our former boss Grant Meyer, who is now with the struggling Tigers. Bemoaning the lack of compensation when home-grown players are poached he reportedly said: "clubs like the Sydney Rooster and MANLY win comps on the back of buying players".
What a disgrace linking Manly to Easts.
As has been pointed out, Manly rarely buys established players; that's what Easts and Canterbury always do.
If that quote is accurate I'm extremely disappointed in Meyer.
No mention of homegrown players Hopaote, Lussick, Olfield etc. being poached from us?

It has been a very long time since Manly have tried to buy premierships. It is just so convenient to name Manly to take the heat off themselves. We can't afford it even if we wanted to. The Dogs/Hasler are getting very desperate for success and they are just about willing to do anything to get it. The Roosters and Dogs are an absolute disgrace! Greenberg and Gyngell, huh?

sheridanstand78 said:
Grant Mayer should no better as he was once our CEO.

The last ten years has been all about bringing through young players together.

When you look at the core that we have in our first team now and consider that JWH at the chooks was part of that group too.

The readies that what the whinging worms threw at Hoppa was amazing, I fear that its going to be hard to retain good juniors as the NRL run by Greenturd are turning a blind eye while predators like the rorters and dirty dogs help themselve.
Rabbits Warren said exactly that tonight

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6