SG Ball / Harold Matthews squads & draw

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Just another one for that great North Sydney prop prducton line Mckinnon, O'meley, mayoh, Stuart, Johnston, Toole, Hanson
I think you will find Jish Stuart was a Manly junior - hope this Tarrant is better for us than Wee Donny

Yes Stuart was a Manly junior but is a bears legend

Donny was prtty good for manly. His hands were terrible until he came to Manly

Look out for Tarrant this year in SG Ball...If I have the right player, he was a gun, long-term signing from North Sydney a couple of years back, and (yes, Youtube highlights) looked like an absolute star in the front-row. Maybe someone can enlighten me if I have it right?

Edit - found it, yes it is the player I'm thinking of. Rather long video, but worth watching a couple of minutes of. Looks like a champion in the making to me...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLogAbT4S3l79tH1iUI9Mjq1cJJ_APrGhX
Just watched the sg ball .the video does him a big favour like most do . Sg ball got beat very easily by newcastle 30-0 at half time manly came back a bit in the second half ,Not much on show for manly .only ones ramien and poselli .

Yep first half was a shocker, it was like they were fast asleep ( wake up jeff). Errors and I'll discipline cost them dearly, got a bit more of the pill in the second half and were competitive. Newcastles number 9 Tom starling, 7 Brendan O'Hagan, 1 Matt cooper and 8 Soane Huafunga were the Knights best. Tom starling tore Manly to shreds and was best on ground.

John tuivati, Hopoate and Tarrant were Manlys better players for me. The lock 13 Tuivati was Manlys best on the day. First time I have seen him play but has a good motor and stinging defence. Looking forward to see how he improves through the season. Along with Tarrant they both made a mountain of tackles in defence and played good minutes, both need to improve their attack.

Vid definitely does Tarrant favour, but that's what highlights videos are for. Wasn't a champion performance and I've seen him play better in sg ball last season were he was solid, but thought he didn't go to bad today in a well beaten side. Was Manlys best prop and one of only a few that could hold their heads up.

Young Hopoate like Luke Polselli tried their guts out all day and were the only creative sparks. Ramien scored two tries from close on the line and showed that he's strong and can find the tryline but did little else. The winger Pulonga had some strong carries as well.

The team lacks organisation and leadership. The halves are a problem and so is hooker. No one seems to know who is getting the ball and the talk is non existent. Huge improvement is needed if they are to match the likes of Souths, Newcastle and Penrith.

Yep first half was a shocker, it was like they were fast asleep ( wake up jeff). Errors and I'll discipline cost them dearly, got a bit more of the pill in the second half and were competitive. Newcastles number 9 Tom starling, 7 Brendan O'Hagan, 1 Matt cooper and 8 Soane Huafunga were the Knights best. Tom starling tore Manly to shreds and was best on ground.

John tuivati, Hopoate and Tarrant were Manlys better players for me. The lock 13 Tuivati was Manlys best on the day. First time I have seen him play but has a good motor and stinging defence. Looking forward to see how he improves through the season. Along with Tarrant they both made a mountain of tackles in defence and played good minutes, both need to improve their attack.

Vid definitely does Tarrant favour, but that's what highlights videos are for. Wasn't a champion performance and I've seen him play better in sg ball last season were he was solid, but thought he didn't go to bad today in a well beaten side. Was Manlys best prop and one of only a few that could hold their heads up.

Young Hopoate like Luke Polselli tried their guts out all day and were the only creative sparks. Ramien scored two tries from close on the line and showed that he's strong and can find the tryline but did little else. The winger Pulonga had some strong carries as well.

The team lacks organisation and leadership. The halves are a problem and so is hooker. No one seems to know who is getting the ball and the talk is non existent. Huge improvement is needed if they are to match the likes of Souths, Newcastle and Penrith.
I must have been at a different game
Every try was scored under the posts and your saying the lock and prop were the best out there .

I must have been at a different game
Every try was scored under the posts and your saying the lock and prop were the best out there .

Yep I certainly am and so is the coaching staff.

Who cares where they scored their tries.
Why were they in a position to score under the posts? Because of errors, penalties and poor marker defence that allowed repeated sets on the line. Not because of the lock and props!

Why were they in a position to score under the posts? Because of errors, penalties and poor marker defence that allowed repeated sets on the line. Not because of the lock and props!

Have to agree. Marker defence was atrocious and everyone was guilty. Have seen Tarrant play better I must admit.
He was never going to stop their number 8 for the first try that close out, Kapow would have struggled LOL. Newcastle hooker Tommy starling was ball player of the year last year and after today's performance I know why. Manly only came into it in the second half when there little red haired half back came off.

Have to agree. Marker defence was atrocious and everyone was guilty. Have seen Tarrant play better I must admit.
He was never going to stop their number 8 for the first try that close out, Kapow would have struggled LOL. Newcastle hooker Tommy starling was ball player of the year last year and after today's performance I know why. Manly only came into it in the second half when there little red haired half back came off.

Yep would love to see Cade Cust and young Verrills come into this side to provide some organisation and structure.

From today's efforts none of the following, Hopoate, polselli, Ramien, Tarrant and Sione are ready for 20's.

From what I saw they were completely dominated up the middle from far out as the opposition half the newcastle number 8 and o'hagan killed manly which does suggest our middle defence wasn't very good.early days yet good luck to the boys hope they can form a bond cause I think that's the problem

Yep would love to see Cade Cust and young Verrills come into this side to provide some organisation and structure.

From today's efforts none of the following, Hopoate, polselli, Ramien, Tarrant and Sione are ready for 20's.

Bit harsh after only one game. At this age it's about development and most of these kids are only 17. If we lose every game (I hope we don't) but develop 5-7 guys for the under 20's then the Sg ball department has done its job.

Hopoate, Tarrant, Ramien and Polselli are all in the NSW U18 origin squad so they are not just hype. Along with Sione they were all very good under Chad Randall a year young last year. They don't automatically become bad players overnight. Will be ready for 20's when the comp is over.

Definitely have dramas at hooker and in the halves. 7 and 6 can't seem to play to a game plan or lead the team. Would win more games with Cust at number 7 but leave him in the 20's to develop. Big Yes on giving Verills a go at hooker. He's a year young but at least he talks and organises. The guy at hooker now is a former NSW schoolboy and U16 Origin centre, put him back in the centres where he belongs.

From what I saw they were completely dominated up the middle from far out as the opposition half the newcastle number 8 and o'hagan killed manly which does suggest our middle defence wasn't very good.early days yet good luck to the boys hope they can form a bond cause I think that's the problem

Bingo. They don't don't have a bond and that's a huge problem. But that's what happens when you bring in your Fairfield team that play amongst themselves, make some of your relatives support staff, replace locals with outsiders two weeks before the comp and make your son captain. Overall Hopoate is a decent coach but he must get these kid to find a common cause.

Maybe the local area doesn't have enough talent.
Yes there is that thought Darren but you can't tell me that out of a squad of 28 we only have enough talented juniors to fill a handful of spots?? Cause that is what Hoppa has done, brought in a heap of kids from out west.

Yes there is that thought Darren but you can't tell me that out of a squad of 28 we only have enough talented juniors to fill a handful of spots?? Cause that is what Hoppa has done, brought in a heap of kids from out west.

Plus the kids from the central coast and Newcastle.

But then again the "Western Sydney Seaeagles" has a nice ring to it doesn't it.

I saw Cade Cust for the first time in the 20s game against Sharks. Dropped the ball cold, twice, with no pressure on him. Poor kid was having a shocker, so he might end up back in SG Ball for a bit after all... Still, can't be easy getting bumped up to play with kids three years older than you are, so good on him for being deemed ready to take that step. If he ends up looking as promising as Nicho Hynes did in the main game, we'll be doing very well...

I saw Cade Cust for the first time in the 20s game against Sharks. Dropped the ball cold, twice, with no pressure on him. Poor kid was having a shocker, so he might end up back in SG Ball for a bit after all... Still, can't be easy getting bumped up to play with kids three years older than you are, so good on him for being deemed ready to take that step. If he ends up looking as promising as Nicho Hynes did in the main game, we'll be doing very well...
What did nicho do after the first 15mins?dont start rubbishing young kids.cade is a cracker don't worry about that..

Last edited:
I think Cade would be great for ball but he will develop more in 20s I think the first game was bad but i think they will improve I rate lots of the kids there as guns

What did nicho do after the first 15mins?dont start rubbishing young kids.cade is a cracker don't worry about that..
Don't tell me I'm 'rubbishing' young kids when clearly stating an objective fact about his game. Then you go 'rubbishing' Nicho Hynes yourself by saying he didn't do anything. Read the full post - it clearly says he had a shocker by dropping the ball twice, but that I hope he ends up developing as well as our other junior halves.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4