Set Of Six: The Questions That Matter for the Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

tookey

First Grader
1.Will Anthony Watmough be missed or will his departure to Parramatta improve morale?

A: Watmough's supporters will tell you he's a great team man and a loveable larrikin. But those who get on the wrong side of Choc would tell you he's an obnoxious so-and-so who has a cancerous influence on the group – is that about right DCE?

2. Was letting Glenn Stewart go the right call or a huge mistake?

A: The decision not to offer the elder Stewart brother a contract for next season and beyond caused most of the drama that went down during a tumultuous 2014 campaign. Stewart, who has signed with South Sydney, is still a good player when fit but he has been injured more often than not over the past two seasons. Feleti Mateo is effectively his replacement and if the Sea Eagles can get the best out of the enigmatic former Eels and Warriors back-rower, that won't be a bad swap.

3. Are Brett Stewart and Steve Matai still committed to the Sea Eagles?

A: They both reportedly ask for releases last season but were knocked back. The change in ownership, with the Penn family now in full control of the club, should calm things down within the player group. Coach Toovey is adamant both are staying but those rumours that Brett Stewart is heading to Canberra won't go away.

4. Can Willie Mason have an impact?

A: The 34-year-old was unwanted by the Knights but was given a lifeline by the Sea Eagles, signing a one-year deal. Big Willie was good for the Knights last season and reckons he can go for another couple of years. The Sea Eagles need some muscle up front and Mason will provide that ...but only in short bursts.

5. Are Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans committed to the cause? Will they re-sign long-term?

A: The Sea Eagles are hopeful of locking both players into long-term deals and will offer the pair massive deals as early as next month. But whatever the outcome negotiations will likely drag out deep into next year as several clubs try and poach the sought-after pair. Cronulla are reportedly set to offer DCE $1million a season while Foran will have no shortage of suitors banging down his door. They will keep one but maybe not both.

6. Will the Sea Eagles still be a top-four contender or does their slide start in 2015?

A: Not impossible but unlikely. They still have the best halves in the comp, one of the best full-backs in Brett Stewart and durable veteran Matt Ballin at hooker. But their forward pack is a concern and will struggle to match it with the big boys at the business end of the season.

Major gains

Willie Mason (Knights), Feleti Mateo (Warriors), Zane Tetevano (Knights), Siosaia Vave (Sharks).

Major losses

Anthony Watmough (Eels), Glenn Stewart (Rabbitohs), Jason King (retired).

Lurker Alert

Don't believe everything you read about Brett Stewart being a happy little camper. I can tell you for a fact, he's not. He is staying on under sufferance and will exit at the first opportunity. It will also be interesting to see how new Sea Eagles CEO handles Joe Kelly the Foran-DCE situation. My mail is one will stay (probably Foran) and one will go (probably Cherry-Evans). Manly will also have to deal with the Zane Tetevano court case and possible NRL sanctions.

http://www.sportal.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/set-of-six-the-questions-that-matter-for-the-sea-eagles/z13h6len9wi91con9950n5xq2

I don't think Gifty will be that big of a loss. I only say this as, we haven't had a fully fit Gifty for a while. Mateo will fill the void for him. As for Choc, time will tell. His work rate will be missed. Hopefully JSL picks up in that area.

The others are contracted for this year at least. So, over hearing about it.

I also believe that if the squad is settled we will make top 4

Wish the footy would just start.

Brett Stewart has never asked for a release. Had he asked for one while Dave Perry was in charge, it would have been granted. Perry wanted Choc and Snake gone.

Mitch said:
So the lurker says that Brett Stewart still wants out, yet Joe Kelly publicly stated they were talking about his career with the club post career. I think I'll go with what Joe said!

Don't anyone be fooled here. Brett wants more money. He doesn't care who is running the show. He has 2 years to go on this contract. It may be his last. He thinks he is underpaid and wants an upgrade. Like chock it's all about the money and the game they will play in the media to get it. He doesn't have to be quoted by a jurno to spread a story. It's all off the record, stuff that jurnos love .

Don't believe everything you read about Brett Stewart being a happy little camper. I can tell you for a fact, he's not. He is staying on under sufferance and will exit at the first opportunity.

That first opportunity should arise in about 2 years time when his current contract expires. 2 years is a long time in football.

lovefooty said:
Mitch said:
So the lurker says that Brett Stewart still wants out, yet Joe Kelly publicly stated they were talking about his career with the club post career. I think I'll go with what Joe said!

Don't anyone be fooled here. Brett wants more money. He doesn't care who is running the show. He has 2 years to go on this contract. It may be his last. He thinks he is underpaid and wants an upgrade. Like chock it's all about the money and the game they will play in the media to get it. He doesn't have to be quoted by a jurno to spread a story. It's all off the record, stuff that jurnos love .

Some of our players seem to sign on for decent contracts, then they improve as players, then they come back through their managers and ask for more $$ while still under contract. We signed Brett for 4 years on a decent contract.

Manly didn't force them to sign these contracts. The "million a year" froth and bubble must be making them all a bit jumpy.

Don't you just love journo's??

Make mountains out of molehills.

Although I imagine the Brett Stewart part is probably right and as Lovefooty says " it's all about the money"

Saw Brett at Manly beach yesterday arvo, he wondered over from his apartment in his boardies, had a swim and then played soccer on the beach with some mates.

The nipper kids training were going over and giving him high fives, no fuss, he seemed very happy. You think thats the life youd swap while making heaps doing what you love. I dont think hes that stupid, and certainly belongs in Manly as a legend. Choc on the other hand, so much for those afternoon dips at freshy

It's sickening reading all this innuendo about Brett. I don't believe it.
But, if he were to leave or suffer an injury, fullback is one position where we have excellent coverage, with Hiku, Gutherson and, in a year or so, Tim Turbojet. While the first two names will probably never reach the greatness of Snake they are both good first graders and will do us proud. The player that excites my most because of his natural ability is Turbojet Jnr. He shapes as something special, imo.

I feel dirty replying on a sportal article.

The lurker is an absolute moron. I assume his own family don't even like him. He was probably the kid that always lied at school so people liked him.

Lurker = Grub

To me one of the worst of the Journo's.......I don't mind the RLW Mole, as to the rest.......scum of the earth.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4