Server load issues and Premium silvertails subscription

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
Hi all,
I have been working on this late into the small hours of the morning and a good part of the day.

I am still not certain what the cause of the issue was and I am not sure that I have nailed it down just yet.

However things seem a little more stable from my end.

Please continue to monitor for me and let me know if you see any further issues.

Right now load is low but so are hits. If the issue persists then I will be looking at a number of options.

1 - Removing the current front-end and implementing my own custom solution which will be more light weight
2 - Moving to a host with larger capacity ram (however this host is in the US and means this could mean slightly slower return times, though better overall server performance (We currently run on 2GB of Ram and I will be looking to expand this to 4Gb of RAM)
3 - Moving the forums and the main site to different servers to mitigate the effect each has on the other

If any of you out there are any good with linux webserver maintenance and performance troubleshooting I would love to hear from you.

Whilst the tipping comp will cover most of this in order to cover costs I am considering a move to a "Premium Service" options.

This option will come with a fee and remove all adverts from the site whilst you are logged in. Most likely only for the forum as we don't currently login on the front-end.

I may see what other options I can include in this, but a fee of say $25 annually (I will review this soon) will see you get this option of no adverts.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this as an option too

Dan

No problem with the advert free service, but it should be labeled The Premier :D Service in keeping with our beloved Manly.

Now I wonder whose idea this was ( commission please @Dan )

Yep count me in as well, and note if a lot of us sign up to this it means that Dan can have Silvertails hosted in Oz and we would get a faster experience (I think), so I reckon its a great idea.

Besides I am sick of the 4WD and Caravan advertisements AND the Russian Brides (just kidding) coming up....I know Google keeps a tab on what you search for and keeps throwing those up at you so this will be a better experience as well and very happy to pay.

Mark from Brisbane said:
Now I wonder whose idea this was ( commission please @Dan )

Yep count me in as well, and note if a lot of us sign up to this it means that Dan can have Silvertails hosted in Oz and we would get a faster experience (I think), so I reckon its a great idea.

Besides I am sick of the 4WD and Caravan advertisements AND the Russian Brides (just kidding) coming up....I know Google keeps a tab on what you search for and keeps throwing those up at you so this will be a better experience as well and very happy to pay.

Well make it $50 a year then to be sure of it.

I'm more than happy to pay, as I can only guess at the personal time and expense you put into the site.

Just a couple of things to consider though. I'm reasonably active on another forum that introduced a voluntary subscription service. I don't subscribe, but from memory it gives you ad-free browsing and an increase in the size of your inbox.

Firstly, I can see some people asking why they should pay to have ad-free browsing when an ad-blocker would provide this for them. As I say, I'm happy to pay, and you can leave the ads there if it helps generate income for the site, but I can see this being the attitude of some.

Secondly, with the other forum I spoke of, there developed a bit of a divide between to subscribers and non-subscribers. If a non-subscriber suggested an idea for the site, or complained about something, they were basically shot down by subscribers suggesting if they're too tight to pay, they have no right to any input. I'd hate to see that happen here, and could even spark the old "You're not a true supporter" debate. In saying that, that site has improved lately, but it took some fairly strong moderator activity to do it.

Anyway, I'm happy to cough up, as I'm sure most who can afford will, but just a couple of things to keep in mind, in my opinion.

I participate in a couple of 4WD and Caravan forums where this same situation applies, no one shoots anyone down.

And in relation to the ad blockers, yes they can do that but I think most of us really know this is a donation to keep the site running, especially now that Dan lives on the other side of the world.

One of the 4WD forums I am on has 2000 members, less than 10% are full members but its enough income to keep the site going.

Those that pay are usually the most prolific posters, and those than get the most out of the site....I jump on very occasionally, ask a question and am politely answered, I am not a paying member there.

So really it's to each their own but $25 a year to see this great site continue is less than I'd spend in an hour at the club before a game, or not much more than many would pay on one packet of ciggies.

But I do understand some won't pay, and they should not be lamblasted by any of us for not!!

Unfortunately with my current situation I am unable to and will be a casualty. However I do see the need to subscribe as it I'd unfair one person takes up the cost burden. If it goes that way I accept the consequence.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7