Server / Forum Move phase 1 completed

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
Hi All,

As promised I have been working on a move to a new server and also to a new system. The first step in this journey was moving us to a new server with the same host. This server is located in Perth, so there may be a few micro seconds of latency but it shouldn't be too bad.

We are now running on a completely new style of server setup, I have done away with back-end control panels and we are coming to you fairly raw from a server with a very lightweight setup. It is a massive learning experience for me and I will be fine tuning things over the "summer" break.

For now though we are there and DNS should start resolving pretty soon for everyone.

Additionally I will now start the migration process to the new forum software. With this migration we will have a new look and feel for the site and the way we have traditionally done things in the past will change completely. We will now be running everything from the forum and not from wordpress and the forum. This is going to be both good and bad for us and there will be some growing pains. I hope to have the forum at least running within the next few weeks and will move to the new front-end sometime just after that.

I then need to reprogram the footy tipping comps and player of the year plugins before then, but this is all stuff I have time aside for.

The first major hurdle is over, it took me many sleepless nights to sort out, but that is one headache gone. Next will be the forums, so stay tuned.

Dan

Thanks Dan,

Now get a haircut and make sure any disruption affects those in aust and not those in the northern hemisphere! (lol added for disclaimer sakes)

Good job!

Stage 2 will be a lot less painful. There will be down time but that should last no more than 39 minutes and when everything is back up we will be on a shiny new site

39 mins! Not 40....39!

Reminds me of iceland where there are signs saying "sheep next 187 metres"

teeheehee

A shiny new site.....if some opinions on here mean anything.....change = bad!

So be prepared!

(can't wait)

getahaircut.

whoops meant to be 30.

although here they do parking 0 - 57 minutes then x for every 19 minutes after that.

Who figured that was an easy measure of time??

As for haircut. Its 20:30 hard going finding a place to get my hair chopped off at t this time.

The real hard part is deciding between dodgy corner guy and paying a decent amount for say Tony & Guy because I am going for a totally new hair style........saaaaaaaa hard. May have to do something about these grey hairs whilst I am at it......Lu's fault too

Pay more.

You can get a cut here at first cuts that are about $12.....

But I still happily pay more because well.....I feel more secure when I am not part of a quick production line.

(Even though we have to tip as well)

I always blame the hairdresser for putting grey hairs in my head.

erm...wait a second we're guys!!!!

umm...footy! beer! boobs! cars!

definitely beer. Think I might go Meeting >> Guiness >> haircut >> Guiness tomorrow

Thanks Dan. Much appreciated all the work that you put into the site.

b**bs is a naughty word on here?

ti.ts a nice day. :) (lol t.its is naughty as well - sorry for the offence)

And yup, thanks for all your work.

I don't have enough hair left for a " Tony & Guy", in fact even a $12 is a rip off for me!!

Oh to be young again

Now let me get this straight: The host, a restaurant owner, employed a server as a waitress who had a large back-end and who had migrated to Perth, which means I'll now get my morsels of information from the Forum menu served in a more timely manner.
Great.
Glad I understand.

Help! I can access the forums on my phone but not on my desktop. Do I need to clear cookies or something? It says the bulletin board is closed.

Clint said:
Help! I can access the forums on my phone but not on my desktop. Do I need to clear cookies or something? It says the bulletin board is closed.

Clearing your cache should/may work

The other thing you can do is open up the command prompt and type
ipconfig /flushdns

Then try connecting again

Is your phone connected to your wifi? If not the issue is your internet connection for you normal internet the caches haven't been updated yet. You may want to try power cycling it. Turn it of for 30 seconds then back on

Dan said:
Is your phone connected to your wifi? If not the issue is your internet connection for you normal internet the caches haven't been updated yet. You may want to try power cycling it. Turn it of for 30 seconds then back on

Thx mate. That worked. :)

@Dan can you do up a pie chart, or even better an animation of some description, that tracks the progress to completion. I don't mind if it is done as a %age completion or a phase by phase completion (as long as you let us know how many phases all up).

Actually what would be super cool is a robotic voice that says "Phase 2 commencement in T minus 10, 9, 8, 7....."

Clint said:

This was happening to me, then I remembered the last time I went into a total meltdown when I couldn't access the site and someone nice and patient, either Dan or Jethro, instructed me to clean my cache.

I repeated the action today (minus meltdown) and feeling like an absolute technological genius, I can once again access Silvertails-the thinking persons football forum and possibly the best website in the world.

Cheers for the work you do @"Dan"

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6