Season stats

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Souffs strength is a fit inglis doing most of the damage in attack. He won't be effective for the rest of the year with that injury. I don't think they have enough in the backline to cover his loss of effectiveness when he does come back.

Technical Coach said:
Come on people read the stats in a way that makes use of them not just admire the numbers. Apply a standard deviation, ask what teams we played against and their form, remove the last 3 weeks, what type of passes do they constitute as an assist etc etc.
What about how many slow and fast play the balls, how many offload assists from forwards, how many tries up the middle, how effective are our tackles, how often do we win the collision the list goes on and on.

bones said:
Most eggs put on the faces of poor judges- Brett Stewart.

Not really bones but yesterday was more the old Brett now lets see that week in week out against all opposition.

You're a MONEY BALL sort of guy. Wanting real stats for what they truly reveal...

Technical Coach said:
Honestly I think with the lack of depth in our forwards and in some respects a generation behind in our forward stocks(in relation to size, explosiveness and skill levels) it's remarkable that Tooves and the coaching staff have been able to squeeze more juice out of this squad and keep Manly in the top four.
I'm not sure what you mean by a generation behind. Do you mean that mobile giants a la George Burgess, Fifita, Kasiano, Pritchard, T Rex are the future, instead of smaller forwards like Gift, Watmough, Bird & co? There aren't that many currently that have each quality - size, explosiveness and high skill levels - are there?

captainskin said:
Technical Coach said:
Come on people read the stats in a way that makes use of them not just admire the numbers. Apply a standard deviation, ask what teams we played against and their form, remove the last 3 weeks, what type of passes do they constitute as an assist etc etc.
What about how many slow and fast play the balls, how many offload assists from forwards, how many tries up the middle, how effective are our tackles, how often do we win the collision the list goes on and on.

bones said:
Most eggs put on the faces of poor judges- Brett Stewart.

Not really bones but yesterday was more the old Brett now lets see that week in week out against all opposition.

You're a MONEY BALL sort of guy. Wanting real stats for what they truly reveal...

In some ways yes other ways no I look into stats and create my own deeper meanings from them combined with my own stats.

I also look at a players technique, all round skillset, character, body make up, speed, "do they come across as having a slightly higher IQ compared to other players in the NRL" and "how many Tatts am I willing to accept before "d:c?head" and show pony without substance crosses my mind" (I do make exceptions though based on good character non drinker and performances under pressure)

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Technical Coach said:
Honestly I think with the lack of depth in our forwards and in some respects a generation behind in our forward stocks(in relation to size, explosiveness and skill levels) it's remarkable that Tooves and the coaching staff have been able to squeeze more juice out of this squad and keep Manly in the top four.
I'm not sure what you mean by a generation behind. Do you mean that mobile giants a la George Burgess, Fifita, Kasiano, Pritchard, T Rex are the future, instead of smaller forwards like Gift, Watmough, Bird & co? There aren't that many currently that have each quality - size, explosiveness and high skill levels - are there?

Kasiano and Rose you can only afford one player like that in each team but they would not be my type of players purely based on over weight size but you can still have impact with them. Fifita is going to have knee issues and to be honest he is a little over hyped. I was not overly impressed with his Origin performance, he was not bad I just don't like how he hits the defensive line seems a little soft, looks good in more open less tight defensive games where he can show case a little footwork and skill.

Take it this way while we still have interchange at the present levels you need explosiveness in your go forward---the NRL is still catching up to American Sports in relation to the transition from mainly a white persons game to a variety of backgrounds.

Watmough still has his explosiveness and going great guns but once he loses that speed he does not have the size to bust tackles. Sometimes he looks like Rocky Vs Drago and occasionally at times you see him get man handled but while he has his speed off the mark he will always be a danger.

Gifts body type worries me, when he still had a little sharpness and occasionally hit holes he had a good mix(Buhrer sort of looks like the old Gift but with a little more speed) but now he is slow and adds no explosiveness sort of like the back end of Hindmarsh's career, gets good tackle counts but at least he can ball play a little.

The worrying thing is when the stats that are rumoured Lawrence had in preseason training and not one of our forwards could match just shows what is lurking in other clubs and where the future is heading. More islanders and more explosiveness overall--- all power sports are heading in the same direction.

Souths have some huge players not just in the forwards but even in the backs so do the Roosters and a few other clubs. We need to play smarter and be more clinical as we no longer put fear into the top 4 teams based off our size and aggression, it can be done but easier said than done---we still have enough talent in key positions if we get it right.

Stats by themselves are useless - only when they are tested do they start to reveal something, to test them you need an hypothesis that they will prove or disprove. Without an hypothesis to test most people test stats against their own preconceptions and highlight/accept the supporting stats only

Technical Coach said:
I will make things even clearer for all----I don't rate highly all the attacks in the NRL going back some 25-28yrs and still feel this way

Your a hard marker TC when you consider the varied attacks of teams like the Raiders, Broncos, Eagles, Storm & Warriors in those years. Even the Bulldogs last year were hailed for introducing the short passing game between forwards to create room for their backs.

I'm not saying certain teams don't have good attacks relative to the rest of the competition I'm saying the way all teams attack in general could be structured better even with the top attacking teams of each era.

I do test my stats/theories obviously not by an independent panel lol so the risk of bias to stroke my own ego is very high. My comments around J. Thurston years ago are based on my own theories and stats on what makes an effective half or 5/8 at "nrl" level.

As for the dribble I totally agree so please do stop reading my comments and not just reply in that manner for the "like" this response high five from the pathetic masses.

The pathetic masses? **** sorry Prince Phillip. Maybe you should email Geoff Toovey some of your ideas as he is likely to be your only equal on this subject. Since you're not the author of this thread i just perchanced to stumble across some of your jibber filled novels. Be very sure that i stay well clear of threads constructed by yourself, good Sir!

Stevo I've replied to you before about not bothering with people who end up adding an "o" to their first names---they tend to be genetic defects not benchmarks.

Hopefully this time around you are better equipped at following through with avoiding my "dribble" and I will do my best to avoid the "Stevo, Robbo Jeffro, Kimbo, Bimbo crowd( well I do make the odd exception to certain Bimbos if they know their sport)

If you saw me naked the first word that would pop into your head would probably be benchmark. My first name isn't Steve, i can assure you of that. That makes sense that you aren't aware of how nicknames work thuogh. Technical Coacho is a pretty stupid sounding nickname. Then again, maybe you're just not that used to nicknames. Nickname selection usually requires having friends. Something you probably don't have plenty of?

Technical Coach said:
Stevo I've replied to you before about not bothering with people who end up adding an "o" to their first names---they tend to be genetic defects not benchmarks.

Hopefully this time around you are better equipped at following through with avoiding my "dribble" and I will do my best to avoid the "Stevo, Robbo Jeffro, Kimbo, Bimbo crowd( well I do make the odd exception to certain Bimbos if they know their sport)

Moro dribblo

My nick was created with the intention of sounding stupid and to make readers aware that dribble is around the corner. Hmm why would you use Stevo if your name is not Steve (I guess there is a first for everything), please don't tell me it is in reference to Matai he deserves better representation.
Ok I got it you are Jason Stevens that makes sense a big soft unit.

bones said:
Technical Coach said:

Moro dribblo

Yet the same two people keep reading my dribble when they promised themselves it was the last time, time for bones to get boned.

Technical Coach said:
My nick was created with the intention of sounding stupid and to make readers aware that dribble is around the corner. Hmm why would you use Stevo if your name is not Steve (I guess there is a first for everything), please don't tell me it is in reference to Matai he deserves better representation.

bones said:
Technical Coach said:

Moro dribblo

Yet the same two people keep reading my dribble when they promised themselves it was the last time, time for bones to get boned.

Over and out too much time wasted on general admission banner waving get my face on tv types.

Technical Coach said:

bones said:
Technical Coach said:

Moro dribblo

Technical Coach said:

bones said:
Technical Coach said:

Moro dribblo

Over and out too much time wasted on general admission banner waving get my face on tv types.

Lolo

bones said:
Technical Coach said:

bones said:
Technical Coach said:

Moro dribblo

Technical Coach said:

bones said:
Technical Coach said:

Moro dribblo

Lolo

Magnifico!!

mozgrame said:
bones said:
Technical Coach said:

bones said:
Technical Coach said:

Moro dribblo

Technical Coach said:

bones said:
Moro dribblo

Lolo

Magnifico!!

Beat it dickheado

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4