1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Season Review: Off-field drama and Geoff Toovey’s sacking bring Manly’s golden era to an end

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Eagleheart, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Eagleheart

Eagleheart Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Sydney
    Ratings:
    +1,264 / 40
    Season Review: Off-field drama and Geoff Toovey’s sacking bring Manly’s golden era to an end
    September 11, 2015 7:00am
    Dan Walsh FOX SPORTS

FOR the first time in a decade, Manly’s mark on the NRL finals is felt only by their conspicuous absence.

After the 2015 the club endured, mostly through their own doing, as is the Sea Eagles way, it’s impressive they ended up just two points shy of the top eight.

But all good things — even the good times — must come to an end, and Manly’s 2015 campaign represents a significant changing of the guard.

Read more..........
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...521673139?sv=c142db8bc9a88686c7c3dac0aad182d6

A not so interesting article, highlighting most of what we already know....!

However I liked that it pointed this out..........

"But they also had the hardest draw in the competition — playing the eventual finalists 14 times across the season and only coming up against the bottom four teams four times."

Obviously the NRL are corrupt mongrels......! Our crappy draw along with so many other factors certainly had a hand in where we finished this year.........!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  2. NYEagle

NYEagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,154 / 69
    While I disagree with your point because something like that is impossible to foresee, I have no doubt the NRL have been instrumental in doing everything humanly possible to ensure Manly missed the finals this year.
    Let's see how one of their loser puppet teams StGeorge go. I'd be surprised if they show any fight, and expect them to be beaten by 20+.

And in the end, it serves the NRL right.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ralphie

Ralphie Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Bredbo
    Ratings:
    +2,093 / 231
    Now, where's my tin foil hat gone?????

4. Eagleheart

Eagleheart Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Sydney
    Ratings:
    +1,264 / 40
    I can lend you one of mine @Ralphie, I have a spare few laying around for special emergencies.....! :)

5. Budgewoi Eagle

Budgewoi Eagle In for the long haul. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +4,028 / 52
    You can't borrow mine ... you might be one of them!

6. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,778 / 258
    I suggested recently that the draw is done based on the top 8 playing each other twice and those from the top playing the bottom only once BUT I was shot down in flames.

Will be interesting to see the 2016 draw, and if that happens again then yes its an unfair scenario being thrown at us.

7. EagleFromMay1967

EagleFromMay1967 In bed before the room got dark.

Blue Mountains these days
    Ratings:
    +1,212 / 44
    As if we needed this draw contrivance to confirm that there is an anti MMWSE conspiracy. Just think about the treatment given to our players by the match review committee, also, that dished out by News Corp. And the blatant bias demonstrated by Shame Hayne and Cecchin, Toady Greenslime. Everything from Brookvale oval surface to how DCE was ridiculed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Pablo

Pablo Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,342 / 15
    In regards to the harder draw....
    We lost the easy games against 2 of the bottom 4 teams anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Mals

Mals Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Pennant Hills
    Ratings:
    +1,480 / 35
    Yep we shot ourselves in the foot...

10. StuBoot

StuBoot Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +796 / 7
    I heard someone ring up Talkin' Sport the other day and pretty much summed up our missing the semi's as akin to Long Service Leave - I know it was a tongue in cheek call but...
    After 10 straight years of doing the business we're entitled to September off for a change and will resume normal transmission next year.

• Like Like x 1
  11. HoldenV8

HoldenV8 Well-Known Member

Adelaide
    Ratings:
    +6,741 / 125
    Yep, we lost to the Speels twice and Penrith who had as bad a season injury wise as we did.

Off-field drama's aside, those 4 losses definitely hurt us. Had we won even 2 of those games we would be playing this weekend.....o_O Then there is the game in Townsville that we probably should have won.

Even though we might not have had the team to win this years premiership, we're definitely better than at least two teams in the finals (St Merge and Cronulla). Add to the fact that in the past month or so we thrashed both Brisbane and Souffs and it makes missing the finals so hard to take :(

This season is one that got away.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  12. bones

bones Bones Knows Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +8,999 / 102
    The golden era came to an end last October when the Penns bought control.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,802 / 122
    The NRL would have been most thrilled to see the Eels prosper, but despite that leg-up they weren't even close.

Are you suggesting Manly can't bounce back while they remain owners?

14. Shoe1

Shoe1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,649 / 74
    Agreed. Premiers need to click every week. Our worst this year was pretty bad, but frustratingly, our best was good enough to thrash top 4 teams.

15. bones

bones Bones Knows Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +8,999 / 102
    That remains to be seen. I hope they can, but I definitely won't be holding my breath.

16. brad

brad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,561 / 59
    How can the nrl be instrumental in us not making the finals , they weren't the ones throwing the stupid passes and missing the tackles.

17. Jethro

Jethro This space is for rent Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,897 / 7
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. MadMarcus

MadMarcus Local Lunatic 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,825 / 53
    They planted Williame and Blair in our team to do that...

• Funny Funny x 1