Season Assessment

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ralphie

Bencher
Premium Member
So here we are on just 2 from the past 8 with the two being a lucky win over lowly st merge and a close run thing over a very poor Canberra who cannot win on the road, with a record of 1 and 8 this season.

We have not beaten a single top 4 team and have even lost to the Warriors who have been spoon contenders for most of the season.

Now I know it is all about September and about building in to the finals, but this team is in serious trouble having only beaten 3 of the top 8 with the Canterbury win coming amidst their early season poor form and when they weren't in the top 8.

We look tired and devoid of any sort of cohesion. We have no composure and seem to be just going through the motions. I just don't see anything changing anytime soon.

If I'd have known before the season started, that by two thirds of the way into the season Glenn Stewart would have missed the first two months, Brett Stewart would then miss 8 weeks, Fa'aoso would miss eight weeks, Joe G would do his achilles and Jason King his shoulder and both be gone for the year, there's no way I would have predicted we'd be in the top 8 let alone the top 4. We just can't take a trick. We finally get Snake back and Foran pulls out. It's no wonder our attack seems disjointed when every week one of our main attacking players is sitting in the stands. In one of our losses this year, Manly actually scored more tries than the opposition and in two others they scored the same amount of tries as the opposition. That's three games we have lost on goal kicks. We are not travelling great by any means, but we are in a great position considering the setbacks we've had.

We needed to bring Chisholm in or start Hiku at 5/8 last night. We CANNOT continue with a 3 man bench! It is crippling us. We need more go forward!

Last year everyone was whingeing because we were loosing to lowly placed teams, and yet we finished one win away from the GF. This year we are loosing to the higher placed teams, but yet everyone is using the same old excuses too old, too slow.

Get a grip, we will be there by the end of the year.

Thank **** Bones and a couple of others on here have a brain.

Not having a go at anyone in this thread,especially Raphie, who making his point well without the threat of suicide.

MWSE said:
We needed to bring Chisholm in or start Hiku at 5/8 last night. We CANNOT continue with a 3 man bench! It is crippling us. We need more go forward!

Pretty sure Foran pulled out close to kick off....and Chisholm had played on Saturday as well

bones said:
If I'd have known before the season started, that by two thirds of the way into the season Glenn Stewart would have missed the first two months, Brett Stewart would then miss 8 weeks, Fa'aoso would miss eight weeks, Joe G would do his achilles and Jason King his shoulder and both be gone for the year, there's no way I would have predicted we'd be in the top 8 let alone the top 4. We just can't take a trick. We finally get Snake back and Foran pulls out. It's no wonder our attack seems disjointed when every week one of our main attacking players is sitting in the stands. In one of our losses this year, Manly actually scored more tries than the opposition and in two others they scored the same amount of tries as the opposition. That's three games we have lost on goal kicks. We are not travelling great by any means, but we are in a great position considering the setbacks we've had.

Bones, I agree wholeheartedly and I am not death riding us. I was simply pointing out the facts and noting that we did not do anything last night differently to the previous 7 weeks.

My concern is just that we are doing the same thing week in week out. I see it as a coaching problem. Last night for example, why did we have Hiku on the bench when we were up against one of the biggest, most aggressive and mobile packs in the competition. My guess is because they weren't confident that Snake would get through the game, can't think of any other reason. If that's true then WOW!!!!! we better get used to playing with 16 against 17.

bob dylan said:
Thank f**k Bones and a couple of others on here have a brain.

Not having a go at anyone in this thread,especially Raphie, who making his point well without the threat of suicide.

Can I use what you just said but place in different names at different stages?

Yeah its not jump off the bridge time - we have injuries and the effort is certainly still there. And not a lot of luck last night either. At this stage yes its true we look a half step behind the top teams but the gap is not huge.

I think our season starts again on in the next 2 weeks - 2 wins and its a whole new ball game.

Toovey needs to take a hard look at himself.

He's made so many mistakes, and our main problems get back to coaching and selection. Of course, more than 1 person is involved with the coaching. But the 'hard decisions' have to be made by the person sitting where the buck stops.

While its business as usual, the other teams will continue to go past us. We'll be lucky to finish higher than 8th or 9th on our current trajectory.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
Toovey needs to take a hard look at himself.

He's made so many mistakes, and our main problems get back to coaching and selection. Of course, more than 1 person is involved with the coaching. But the 'hard decisions' have to be made by the person sitting where the buck stops.

While its business as usual, the other teams will continue to go past us. We'll be lucky to finish higher than 8th or 9th on our current trajectory.

Not sure how Toovey caused all our injuries and suspensions??

Ralphie said:
why did we have Hiku on the bench when we were up against one of the biggest, most aggressive and mobile packs in the competition. My guess is because they weren't confident that Snake would get through the game, can't think of any other reason

I think that is why Hiku was on the bench but agree it would have been better to have another prop on the bench. If Snake pulls out then Tafua could have moved to fullback and Burher could have covered in the back line. Not ideal but better than a short bench

This assessment is flawed - where are Melbourne sitting on the table??
Take out Cam Smith & they lose 13+ against Tigers.
Manly have had up to 6 players out in 2013 & have been fairly admirable in some tough circumstances.
Take out Inglis, Luke, Reynolds & Burgess from Souths who are on top & would they be in the top 4 let alone leading without them??
Sure the Seaeagles need to improve 15% to threaten at seasons end, but it is possible.

Hiku was on the bench, because Foran only got crook 2 hours before kickoff, no time to do anything else, Hiku was named and would have travelled with the squad, and that is why he was penciled into the 17

Phoning Chisholm up a couple of hours before kickoff is too late to make it there and have any sort of preparation the kid would need before running out

It is very easy to sit back and get on the back of Toovey for this and that when you aren't accountable for what happens. For example Eagle1967 how many times last season did you say that Taufua was **** and would never be a winger ?

Yep certainly no reason why we couldn't take 19 with us, I guess though if you are doing that too often, and that forward never gets a run but isn't playing NSW Cup either it isn't good for the player

I'd love to see Sao named this weekend

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7