Season 2013 Wrap up & looking ahead to 2014

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Daddycool

Reserve Grader
The day after a losing GF is always full "what if's". However, I'm not particularly in the mood to dissect the game. It's done and no amount of talking about it will change the result. So now it's over, I'd prefer to look back on the season and discuss what we did & didn't achieve as well as looking ahead to 2014.

For mine, it was a successful season. They improved on their prelim final effort to make another GF and there's no shame in being beaten by the Roosters. In my opinion, they were clearly the best side for most of the year and thoroughly deserved the Premiership title.

We saw fine debut seasons from all of our new recruits as well as the debut games for 3 young players Sao, Gutherson & Trbojevic. As a team, they seemed to become closer, strengthening the bonds they already had, which all bodes well for the future. They continued to work on the new attack & defence structures from Tooves and the other coaches as well as incorporating new players into the team.

Looking ahead to next year.... I'm hoping to have an injury free season from Jason King (we really missed him this year) as well as seeing Ligi Sao establish himself in the top 17. Hopefully everyone finished this year relatively injury free and can benefit from a solid pre-season. Our back line is full of stars and barring injury, will again prove to be the best in the competition. It's the forwards (particularly in the front row) where we've got room for improvement.

All in all, terrific season and looking forward to next year. Thoughts?

Agree 100%.
We've lost a mountain if quality forwards over 3 years. We could do with signing a bolter and some of the young guns really developing in the off season. We all saw where the game changing breaks took place lady night. Straight down the guts.

I agree with everything you have said. To win a comp you need to have your best team on the park in the big games. We were missing 3 of our best props, King, Joe G and Ritchie. Roosters were full strength, that was the difference.

A couple of others who will improve next year are Brenton Lawrence and Tom Symonds. It was effectively their first full season in the top grade and again, a good solid pre-season, should see both bulk up a bit and be even more of a force next year.

Another thing.....I was really impressed with the commitment and enthusiasm they both expressed while being interviewed. They've settled in very well and I get the feeling, both will be at the Sea Eagles for many years to come.

A brilliant season for the Sea Eagles....we should be very pleased. Yep a GF loss hurts, but I'd rather that than not make it.

Tooves I think came of age this year and the realizing of the talent of Horo and Lawrence was great to see.

2014 looks bright to me!

Hurting more today than last night. Sucks losing a GF.

Anyway, not much can be done about that. It was a great year for the team.
I didn't think we will get that far. Need some big forwards for next year.

Proud of the mighty eagles.

Interestingly a gf loss hurts me more than not making it into the gf. By a long way.

Totally agree shoe1. I drove to the game so only had a couple of beers but woke this morning feeling like I had a massive hangover!

Well said Daddycool.

We didn't have a good run with injuries. And yet, still went within a whisker of lifting the trophy.

Bring on 2014.

Bit hard to be looking ahead after that gut-wrenching result.

But if I force myself … I see that we are better placed than some of our rivals to improve next year. The rejuvenation of our forward stocks is well under way and I can see us having a deeper and slightly more experienced squad of forwards next year.

Replacing Kite will be a challenge as he was a rock all year, but we do get King back and have some good'uns coming through so I don't see that being a problem. Our backs will be just as good, with Hiku and Gutherson really pushing for more time.

Souths will still be stuck with their almost-good-enough halves, ditto Dogs, Storm's big 3 won't be getting any better, and the Chooks might be without their biggest gun.

As for this year, I agree with @Daddycool and also @MPC75 . Refs got us this time but we'll take them out of the equation next year.

Tom started the year great and then seemed to go off the boil. Couldn't see him in the Roosters 17 last night so well done to him on coming to us.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2