SeaEagles v Titans Rd3 Game day thread #GoManly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Pick the Margin Manly v Titans

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think the Titans will be a bigger test than Newcastle. I rate them to make the eight provided they don't get smashed by injuries in the halves and backs. They have forward depth but nothing else.

Having said that- their first pack is a strong one.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
cant wait to watch this one at goldy and am expecting a tighter game than the knights that's for sure.

there's always plenty of manly fans who get out there, swear we almost outnumbered them at the last skilled park game :p

Can't wait to see Lawrence rip in at the Gold Coast. If he finds another gear this week he'll be unstoppable.

Mark from Brisbane said:
Always a tough game up there, especially if Checcin is the ref!!

What they don't have is much crowd support, and those that are there are worse than Broncos fans, almost no passion at all.

Heat may have an impact , although its a much later start than last weeks game.

One thing is assured the MWTS will be there in large force and we WILL make plenty of noise.

Not sure how to make the article bigger...reading glasses?
....Daniels covered pretty much all the excuses...including their dodgy crowd figure...12,000+ last week:s.

CCF19032013_00000.jpg

Bloody hard to read (even with glasses) but I get the drift.

The problem these "new sides" have is they don't have "rusted on" fans like we do (or at least not in the numbers we do) and worse still many of their fans / members actually go for other teams but just love the footy so become a member just so they see some live games AND, then when the team is not going as well they just vanish, often to never return.

The last few times we have played there we have have had more numbers in the stands than the home team, last year in round 26 I swear we had 2 to their 1, amazing for an away home game to dominate the crowd in such a way.

And further to this (and not mentioned in the article) is the passion WE bring to the game, compared to what THEY bring to the game, the noise we will make will far outweigh anything they can muster, and it will be OUR team who will hear the Manly chants and be lifted by that, and it will be THEIR team who will get booed as they run out.

The Bronco's "Rally Towels" a week ago were meant to be a direct action against the wildly vocal Manly fans (and sadly for the Donkeys it failed miserably). lod knows what the Titans might try this week.

I don't expect it to be much different on Saturday, possibly a bigger crowd by a bit but not much...and 12,000 there last Sunday....pfft, more like about 6,000.

Whilst every person attending the game on Saturday isn't there as a result of what we do, I am very proud of what we have achieved in the last 7 years in getting a "wall of sound" at away games.

I know for a fact the players are very aware of this, and love it!!

Itl be interesting to see if King returns straight into the starting line up or from the bench. Surely Tooves couldn't drop Lawrence the way hes played in opening 2 rounds.

Mark from Brisbane said:

What they don't have is much crowd support, and those that are there are worse than Broncos fans, almost no passion at all.

One thing is assured the MWTS will be there in large force and we WILL make plenty of noise.

Ask & you will recieve

#NRL Officials R3: #NRLgldman M Cecchin + L Phillips (VR S Chiddy + T Maksoud) || #NRLsydbri G Sutton + B Suttor (VR P Simpkins + M Rodwell)

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Mark from Brisbane said:

Ask & you will recieve

#NRL Officials R3: #NRLgldman M Cecchin + L Phillips (VR S Chiddy + T Maksoud) || #NRLsydbri G Sutton + B Suttor (VR P Simpkins + M Rodwell)

What did Joey Johns call him? Smart man that Joey

wombatgc said:
Mark from Brisbane said:

Not sure how to make the article bigger...reading glasses?
....Daniels covered pretty much all the excuses...including their dodgy crowd figure...12,000+ last week:s.

CCF19032013_00000.jpg

I couldn't find the article online so for those of you that are having trouble reading the image of the article, I have typed it out to make it easier for you to read

Time to back your team
Daniel Meers@
news.com.au

The Gold Coast needs to fall back in love with the Titans.

I still remember how nearly 50,000 made the trip up the M1 for their first match against St George in 2007.

The match was played at Suncorp Stadium because they couldn't fit in everyone at Carrara.

Last Sunday, their first match of 2013, there were just 12,267 at their home ground, Skilled Park.

Seasoned Skilled Park observers thought there were fewer there than that, but I'm prepared to take the Titans at their word.

In fairness, the club was really thrown to the lions.

A 1pm match in 35 degree heat on a Sunday is a tough sell on the Gold Coast. Especially when we've been drenched by rain. Everyone hit the beaches.

Canberra are probably the worst crowd pullers in the league.

The NRL did them no favours.

That said, for the Titans to attract only 12,267 to Skilled Park for the first home game in six months was disappointing to say the least.

Of more concern is that the club hosts four of its next five games at Skilled Park. That's a hard sell - trying to get families to back up week after week.

Once again, the NRL has done them no favours.

But you have to play the cards you are dealt and that means the Titans have to continue working to win back the respect of the Gold Coast fans.

They need you to put your bum back on a seat.

Manly will have plenty of fans in the stands and the Titans run the risk of being booed on their home ground, the way things stand at the moment.

Manly will have far more fans there than the Titans, if Sunday is anything to go by.

The Glitter Strip is a bandwagon city. Nothing puts bums on seats like winning, that's something the Titans have struggled to do in recent years. Early indications are they may be about to turn that around.

Their brand is battered and bruised over financial troubles and ongoing disputes about the Centre Of Excellence, which left a lot of tradies, the traditional bread and butter fans of a footy club, swearing they would never again go to a Titans game.

The sacking of foundation skipper Scott Prince was handled poorly. Time will tell whether it was the right or wrong decision as far as on-field results go.

Off-field though, they have no one to replace him, and that's something they need to rectify. The departure of Prince upset a lot of kids. He was their poster boy.

Princey is a good bloke. The kind of bloke you could see having brekky at his favourite cafe, Toscanis at Robina, and you'd feel comfortable going up and asking for a photo.

He'd be happy to oblige.

Prince is replaced by Nate Myles and Greg Bird as co-captains. Both are wonderful stories. They came to the club as troubled individuals and are now fine ambassadors.

Still, fans are weary of them. They're enforcers on the field. Two of the hardest players in the competition and they have that persona away from the footy field.

Fans aren't comfortable talking ownership of them.

The Titans haven't allowed the media to tell some of their great stories in the pre-season. Understandably they feel burnt from what they wrongly believe was a sustained campaign against them.

Closing ranks in the build-up to the season didn't allow the Titans to enter the living rooms of families - and that has been clear to see among the rows of empty seats on Sundays,

The Titans should be a great brand.

They have a lot to offer and under a rebranded leadership are making inroads to fix that.

It's not going to happen overnight, but each week, each win and each good story they will begin to re-etch a place in the hearts of the Gold Coast fans.

It shouldn't be totally up to them.

Perhaps it's time for the Gold Coast to cut them some slack.

Guys like Bird and Myles deserve to play in front of a full house. A healthy Titans is a healthy city.

The team is up with a 17 man squad and no King:

Sea Eagles
1 Brett Stewart
2 Jorge Taufua
3 Jamie Lyon (c)
4 Steve Matai
5 David Williams
6 Kieran Foran
7 Daly Cherry-Evans
8 Brenton Lawrence
9 Matt Ballin
10 Brent Kite
11 Anthony Watmough
12 Justin Horo
13 Jamie Buhrer

Interchange
14 Richie Fa'aoso
15 Joe Galuvao
16 David Gower
17 Tom Symonds

Coach: Geoff Toovey

From http://www.nrl.com/official-round-3-team-lists/tabid/10874/newsid/71232/default.aspx

The team that we are going to smash on Saturday
Titans v Sea Eagles - Sat 23/03, 5:30PM, Skilled Park

Titans: William Zillman, Kevin Gordon, Brad Takairangi, Jamal Idris, David Mead, Aidan Sezer, Albert Kelly, Luke Douglas, Matt Srama, Nate Myles (c), Greg Bird (c), Ben Ridge, Ashley Harrison. Interchange: Dave Taylor, Luke Bailey, Ryan James, Beau Falloon, Luke O'Dwyer

Injury Update: Matai on the mend
John Chammas | Photo: Grant Trouville - nrlphotos.com
Monday 18 March 2013 4:11 PM

There were no major injuries to come out of the game against Newcastle on Sunday night, with Sea Eagles centre Steve Matai recovering well from a neck knock scare.
There was concern for Matai when he left the field just before half time with a neck injury, following an awkward collision with teammate Justin Horo.
Matai reported tingling in one side of his body to Manly's medical staff and as such the injury was treated very seriously.
However coach Geoff Toovey is now confident his star centre will recover in time to line up against the Titans at Skilled Park on Saturday night.
"He's had some problems around that area in the past but we think something's just flared up so hopefully it'll settle down tomorrow and they'll assess it from the. No major damage though.
"It was just a precaution, getting him off the field, so again we'll have to see how it settles down tomorrow."
Player | Injury | Expected Return

Jason King | Shoulder | Round 3
Glenn Stewart | Knee | Round 7

BOZO said:

Titans: William Zillman, Kevin Gordon, Brad Takairangi, Jamal Idris, David Mead, Aidan Sezer, Albert Kelly, Luke Douglas, Matt Srama, Nate Myles (c), Greg Bird (c), Ben Ridge, Ashley Harrison. Interchange: Dave Taylor, Luke Bailey, Ryan James, Beau Falloon, Luke O'Dwyer

Still a handy squad. I always get nervous when I see Kevin Gordon in the opposition.

Love it if the Manly Boys, from now on, considered any try scored against them as a personal affront.

Back in 1975, my College Rugby 2nd 15s never had their line crossed.
In those days even RU had tries deciding matches.
Happy memories and proof that every objective is possible if you are mongrel enough to commit:exclamation:

Hope Jorge is ready for a trim Idris.:angel:
Saw Idris at the airport coming back from the Broncos game, and the man is FIT.

Go Manly and bring back the 2 for 2V :p

Good team announced for us. I'd expect the roll to continue this week as everyone looks to be contributing. A win this week and then smash the tig pies the week after. We should be 4/4 when we play the dogs in week 5.

Clint said:
BOZO said:

Still a handy squad. I always get nervous when I see Kevin Gordon in the opposition.
Dont get nervous feathered friend just get excited . We held the Knights scoreless with strike players like Uate , Boyd and Gidley . Kevid Gordon will get smashed just like they did .

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7