Sea Eagles will stick by Richie Fa'aoso after his retirement

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
The Sea Eagles have vowed to support prop Richie Fa'aoso as he makes the difficult transition to life away from rugby league after officially announcing his retirement yesterday.

The 29-year-old forward ended his 11 year top class career on strong medical advice after fracturing a vertebrae in his neck playing against South Sydney in last year's finals series.

Read More

The Sea Eagles have vowed to support prop Richie Fa'aoso as he makes the difficult transition to life away from rugby league after officially announcing his retirement yesterday.

The 29-year-old fo
Richie+Fa+Aoso+Manly+Sea+Eagles+Media+Day+9XRU28qdSyil1.jpg
rward ended his 11 year top class career on strong medical advice after fracturing a vertebrae in his neck playing against South Sydney in last year's finals series.

Fa'aoso had been contracted with the Sea Eagles until the end of 2014, but has been forced into premature retirement on the back of strong medical advice and recommendations.

He was contracted to the Sea Eagles for 2014 and had hoped to return to the field this season.

It has been a difficult time for Fa'aoso and it emerged during a court appearance last month that he was having "suicidal thoughts" when told that he may never play again.

He pleaded guilty to three charges including drink-driving.

Fa'aoso's lawyer said the neck injury has resulted in depression that his client self-medicated with alcohol.

And the Sea Eagles won't be abandoning the quietly spoken father of two as he prepares for a new chapter in his life.

"No one wishes for the career of a player to be cut-­-short, but regardless of who you are, a player's health and wellbeing will always remain the most important factor when a decision such as this is made," said Sea Eagles general manager David Perry.

"The club, along with the NRL, will continue to support Richie with his rehabilitation, as well as the transition to life after football.

"This includes assisting him in the completion of suitable educational courses."

Fa'aoso, who played 55 NRL games for six clubs, said it was very disappointing and unfortunate to end his career this way.

"But I feel blessed to have played with the people I have over so many years," Fa'aoso said.

"I've had many highs and lows in my career and I'm extremely grateful for the opportunities the game of rugby league has given me.

Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey said Fa'aoso was an integral part of the Sea Eagles march to the grand final last year.

"And it's upsetting to see him have his career ended in this way," Toovey said.

Jon Geddes
Manly Daily

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/sea-eagles-will-stick-by-richie-faaoso-after-his-retirement/story-fngr8iii-1226817686711

I do hope he can get a job. Not sure if he could work in a labouring type occupation because of the injury.
Best of luck Ritchie. You wore the mighty Sea Eagles jersey with pride and passion.

If he has a contract for 2014 then surely we will have to pay him meaning we are down to 24 for the season unless his retirement means we can add another to the list. Interested to know. All the best R.F and thanks for the time you were here.

mickqld said:
If he has a contract for 2014 then surely we will have to pay him meaning we are down to 24 for the season unless his retirement means we can add another to the list. Interested to know. All the best R.F and thanks for the time you were here.

Manly had asked the NRL for a ruling on this, similar to the Jared Yow Yeh situation at the Broncos.

The medical/ workers compensation should cover his contract monies.

Manly should still have 25 available Players registered at the start of the 2014 Season.

HappilyManly said:
mickqld said:

Manly had asked the NRL for a ruling on this, similar to the Jared Yow Yeh situation at the Broncos.

The medical/ workers compensation should cover his contract monies.

Manly should still have 25 available Players registered at the start of the 2014 Season.

Thanks H.M. Wonder who will take his place in the 25 man squad.

Jason King is tracking well to return to the field in 2014 after undergoing a shoulder reconstruction and is looking forward to getting involved in pre-season training and setting a strong platform for the road ahead, which has been unable to do over the past few years.

Richie Fa'aoso has a couple of weeks left suffering in a neck brace through the spring heat but luckily suffered no long term damage and should be at 100 per cent for next year.

Michael Chee-Kam struggled with injury throughout the season before being sidelined for the home straight of the NSW Cup campaign, requiring surgery for an ankle injury.

The promising young forward will be hoping to get have a strong pre-season and make his mark on the Manly squad in 2014

Off the official website ages ago. Wonder what happened.............

Hard luck Richie. We sure could have used your fearless runs in the 2nd half of the GF...

Glad our club will continue to look out for him :)

Anyone heard what Richie is up to in post footy retirement?

It would be nice if there was some feedback from our club on Richie though, too.

Fortunately Richie isn't in a wheel-chair , but his injury was still too close for comfort, and has ended his employment...On the field at least.

In light of the wonderful and well-deserved support for Alex Mac, it would be reassuring if there was at least some visible support for Richie, too.

Whether that's from Manly, the NRL, the Player's Association, or a combination of the same.

I HOPE, all players have TPD insurance & / or Income Protection, so surely this would fit into that category - not sure though.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8