Sea Eagles V Panthers [Round 26 2013] discussion thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
SeaEagleRock8 said:
Clint said:
Someone posted elsewhere that the minimum turnaround heading into the semis was 6 days, so the earliest our first semi could be would be saturday. Is that not the case? Surely this scenario has occurred previously.
The post I saw only seemed to be saying that was a suggestion by commentators on a radio show, not anything from the league to that effect.

http://www.silvertails.net/forum/Thread-Manly-Sea-Eagles-cop-raw-deal-in-opening-week-of-the-NRL-finals-scheduling-Read-more?pid=525769#pid525769

have a look at Mostos post in this thread SER8. Looks like it is official to me. But that could just be my interpretation.

Mark from Brisbane said:
Will be a sad day, Joey, Kitey and George

It has been a loooong time since we have said farewell to three boppers in one go, and players of this level and such popularity. We'll get to see some of them for at least 3 more weeks (I hope) but it certainly is a BIG occasion. I'm trying not to get too misty but they are three who have had an enormous impact for us and deserve a massive home crowd cheer.

Clint said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
Clint said:
Someone posted elsewhere that the minimum turnaround heading into the semis was 6 days, so the earliest our first semi could be would be saturday. Is that not the case? Surely this scenario has occurred previously.
The post I saw only seemed to be saying that was a suggestion by commentators on a radio show, not anything from the league to that effect.

http://www.silvertails.net/forum/Thread-Manly-Sea-Eagles-cop-raw-deal-in-opening-week-of-the-NRL-finals-scheduling-Read-more

have a look at Mostos post in this thread SER8. Looks like it is official to me. But that could just be my interpretation.

this is the post:
mosto said:
On The Offload on Triple M, they were discussing the scheduling issues the NRL could face with the Swans at ANZ in the first weekend of semi's. They stated that every team must have minimum 6 days between their Rd 26 game and a semi final. They specifically used Manly as an example, saying they couldn't play a semi final any earlier than Saturday, given they were playing the Panthers on Sunday.
Who are "they"? I assumed it was only Matt Johns & co?

SeaEagleRock8 said:

this is the post:
mosto said:
On The Offload on Triple M, they were discussing the scheduling issues the NRL could face with the Swans at ANZ in the first weekend of semi's. They stated that every team must have minimum 6 days between their Rd 26 game and a semi final. They specifically used Manly as an example, saying they couldn't play a semi final any earlier than Saturday, given they were playing the Panthers on Sunday.

Agreed that 'they' is Matty Johns & Co. The bit highlighted above made me think it was gospel opposed to just their opinion. But again, I may have misinterpreted SER8.

Sadly I think you did. Otherwise why would Ballin etc be quoted saying how unfair it would be?

Clint said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:

this is the post:
mosto said:

Agreed that 'they' is Matty Johns & Co. The bit highlighted above made me think it was gospel opposed to just their opinion. But again, I may have misinterpreted SER8.

Sorry, it was the show with Ryan Girdler and Gordon Tallis, hosted by Tony Squires I think. It was Girdler who was saying each team was guaranteed 6 days turn around, but not sure how official that is.

Surely there is a footy buff out there that know's the rules, or where it can be looked up.

Pretty good mail Gutherson is going to play this weekend (as suggested earlier in this thread) on the wing.

Also there's a good chance Jake Trbojevic will make his debut also in place for Lawrence (needs a well deserved rest you would think as he has been our best forward all year round).

This is shaping up as a pretty exciting game for Finals / 2014.

Yep i reckon we aim for the rooters. They are beatable anyone other than Souths. Souths are the premiers if they don't suffer injuries.

I reckon we aim for the bunnies . They are beatable as they lost to the last placed dragons and also the cowboys who have struggled all year . Manly are the premiers if they dont suffer any injuries ,

Yeah hit the Roosters i reckon. Not that we should be afraid of Souths but we probably need to steer clear of that pack in the first weekend of the finals.

I'd rather play Souths week one coming off tonight's battle for the minor premiership. IMO, Souths will be the team fired up the most should they make the GF. Souths would be easier to beat in week one than week 3 or 4.

IMO , Souths will also be the team with the most pressure on them if they do make their first GF in 50 years .

LATE MAIL

11.45AM UPDATE: Big late changes are expected for the Sea Eagles. 19-year-olds Clinton Gutherson and Jake Trbojevic will make their NRL debuts, despite not being named in Manly's 17. Gutherson will play on the wing, replacing utility Tom Symonds, who was named on the flank on Tuesday. Symonds is expected to move back into the forwards. Front rower Trbojevic leads the Holden Cup in hit-ups and running metres.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-coach-geoff-toovey-to-rest-sea-eagles-big-guns-in-round-26-match-up-with-penrith-panthers/story-fndv31ch-1226713156816

GEOFF Toovey will utilise Sunday’s dead rubber against Penrith to rest star players and give two of the club’s best young talents their first taste of NRL.

A club insider has confirmed 19-year-olds Clinton Gutherson and Jake Trbojevic will make their NRL debuts this weekend, despite not being named in Manly’s 17.

Gutherson will replace the suspended Jorge Taufua on the wing, with Peter Hiku filling in for Brett Stewart at fullback - Manly's star custodian to rest a strained hamstring.

It is unclear whether Trbojevic will start in the front row in place of Benton Lawrence, or come from the bench.

Both men have been shining lights in Manly’s otherwise dim 2012 and 2013 Holden Cup campaigns.

Trbojevic tops the hit-up count and running metres in the NYC, despite playing in the 16th placed Sea Eagles side.

Gutherson was captain of the Under 20s and bagged seven tries in 13 matches before being elevated to the NSW Cup at the request of Toovey, in preparation for a possible first grade call-up.

From twitter

Spotted Manly forward Jamie Buhrer on the golf course today. Won't play this weekend but expect him back for week 1 finals.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6