Sea Eagles V Panthers [Round 26 2013] discussion thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
DSM5 said:
Toovs sees what we, mostly, all see in Farrar. Not much. Hopefully he's not taking up cap space that could be used to keep George. If he's running around with us next season, and George isn't, I'll be pissed.

Some might even say there needs to be an investigation if that happens.

DSM5 said:
Toovs sees what we, mostly, all see in Farrar. Not much. Hopefully he's not taking up cap space that could be used to keep George. If he's running around with us next season, and George isn't, I'll be pissed.

Isn't Farrar in the 2nd tier cap anyway

Everytime a backline injury happens ya'll like

Bring in Farrar!!!!

I say punt him to Jim Beam cup land,bog average player
who should never have been in the Manly FG team

cherry_poppins said:

Bring in Farrar!!!!

Being a bit unreasonable here, give the guy a break, he was out for most of last year with an ACL injury,.
We swapped Bani for him a few seasons ago,and we got the better end of that deal, he filled in well for Snake as he was out injured for all of 2010, in a position he was not familiar with.

How does Farrar take up G. Roses cap space next year? Georges cap space will be taken up by the front rower they sign to replace him.

Stevo, it all adds up doesn't it? The thing is, George is playing very well. He goes forward well enough as props should. Sure he drops the ball occasionally, but which front rower doesn't. I can't understand why he's not worth re-signing as he'd probably be very reasonably priced. As a bench player he's good.

It's an interesting one that's for sure. Hard to tell if the image of Georgie's smiling face espousing his love on the Sea Eagles affects my assessment of his play. I agree he's been in good form lately, good enough to give him a shot of a second premiership win, which no-one would begrudge.

DSM5 said:
Stevo, it all adds up doesn't it? The thing is, George is playing very well. He goes forward well enough as props should. Sure he drops the ball occasionally, but which front rower doesn't. I can't understand why he's not worth re-signing as he'd probably be very reasonably priced. As a bench player he's good.

He's also 30 years old and not going to get any better.

Dunamis Lui and Josh Starling are both only 23 and obviously have potential or we wouldn't be signing them.

Peter C said:
cherry_poppins said:

Bring in Farrar!!!!

Being a bit unreasonable here, give the guy a break, he was out for most of last year with an ACL injury,.
We swapped Bani for him a few seasons ago,and we got the better end of that deal, he filled in well for Snake as he was out injured for all of 2010, in a position he was not familiar with.
TL : DR version = Farrar is a centre,he cannot catch and he runs at the pace of a backrower

Long version

Hasler always had these obscure fetishes,none more annoying than the following

Here,we bought this guy for $400k a season,lets leave him on the field for no reason other than use the 6 jersey and be awful,lets ignore the fact he can't kick very well in general play and his passing is sub par(Chris Bailey)

Oh your a big boy aren't you Tony,you can sit on the wing for 2 seasons being one of the worst players to ever lace a boot,Thanks Tony your doing an amazing job (Tony Williams)

Oh Benny! We swapped you for the biggest gimp to ever play first grade footy why don't we use your blinding lack of speed to try and replace the prince of Brookvale while we leave probably better players in Q Cup or NYC,because you know,Bani played first grade so should his straight swap dude and put him in the most important ****ing position in the backline,yeah that sounds like a great idea (Ben Farrar),oh and when you finish that contract in England,which is where you'd be a good run of the mill centre we'll take you back!!!

I believe Farrar's main role is to provide experience and knowledge to the NSW cup boy. He is a good footballer who's body has let him down.

I would think he is on minimum wage so doubt that has any effect on Big George (you have to have 25 players) although with Kite leaving and Joe retiring I would have thought there would be an offer. Maybe Georgie is asking for a bit more than the club can offer?

This match is going to be difficult. On the one hand the departing Kite and Rose deserve to go out as winners. On the other, I'd like to see Clint, Jake and possibly Dane get a run in first grade, and rest some of our superstars.
Regardless of the result I hope we make a huge fuss over Brent and George.
This is one match were the result is not as important as eliminating the risk of injuries to our top players.

Mark from Brisbane said:
Would be a great opportunity to give Gutherson a taste of the big time, T-Red to bench drop off Gower or Hasson

Maybe salary cap issues will deny that??

Hiku ---> wing
T-Red ---> backrow
Gower ---> front row
Lawrence ---> fullback

fixed

Very pleased I chose this game t attend, was kicking myself about last Saturday night but t will be nice to be there and farewell three champions!!

Manly's four-day prep unacceptable: Ballin

September 4, 2013 - 6:37PM

Manly hooker Matt Ballin has branded as unacceptable a possible four-day preparation for the Sea Eagles' first NRL final.

Depending on last-round results, Manly could be forced to play on Friday week, giving them little time to rest and back up from Sunday's clash with Penrith.

The scenario could eventuate if they slip from third to fourth by losing to the Panthers and Melbourne beat Gold Coast, while the availability of ANZ Stadium with the Swans expected to play an AFL preliminary final there that weekend is another variable.

Asked if it was a little unfair, especially since a a lower-placed side like Canterbury could enjoy a nine-day turnaround after playing their final-round match on Thursday, Ballin said "the short answer is yes.

Advertisement
"Four days is not a great turnaround leading into a a big finals match, so I don't know what the answer is to it.

"But I think someone was saying the Bulldogs might get nine days and less than half the time for us, so I think that should be looked at.

"Coming off a team like Penrith, who have got a big pack of forwards, and after 26 rounds of pretty hard footy, I don't think that (a four-day preparation) is acceptable."

Winger David Williams said Manly had been used to short turnarounds this year, but wasn't looking beyond this weekend.

"I'm happy to play round 26. I haven't played that in four years (due to injuries)," Williams said.

He has yet to commit to Manly for next season.

"Staying here would be good for me, but that's football. Sometimes you might have to go other places to keep in the game," Williams said.

Sunday's game represents a farewell to Brookvale Oval for dual premiership-winning prop Brent Kite, who will join the Panthers next year after nine seasons at Manly.

"I've said for a little while we're potentially a multi-premiership-winning team and it's good that we've won two and I think all the guys think we've got one more in us," said Kite.

Coach Geoff Toovey said Jamie Buhrer's rib cartilage injury wasn't as bad as initially feared and he might play again this season while Brett Stewart and Anthony Watmough could both return for the first finals game.

Wolfie sounds down - where are the Third Party Companies?:(

The Player's Association must negotiate a minimum 5 day turn around for Players. It's an OH&S issue and potentially limits the careers of these athletes.:mad:

Someone posted elsewhere that the minimum turnaround heading into the semis was 6 days, so the earliest our first semi could be would be saturday. Is that not the case? Surely this scenario has occurred previously.

Clint said:
Someone posted elsewhere that the minimum turnaround heading into the semis was 6 days, so the earliest our first semi could be would be saturday. Is that not the case? Surely this scenario has occurred previously.

You're neglecting to read the special Manly clauses again. It's a whole sub section at the back of the NRL rules book.

Clint said:
The post I saw only seemed to be saying that was a suggestion by commentators on a radio show, not anything from the league to that effect.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6