Sea Eagles to trial 'Captain's Challenge' rule

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
Tomorrow’s Toyota Cup match between the Titans and the Sea Eagles at Skilled Park will make history as the first NRL-sanctioned game to officially trial an on-field ‘Captain’s Challenge’.

Fox Sports will telecast the Toyota Cup match live from 3.00pm with kick-off at 3.15pm.

The system is being trialled after consultation with the NRL Competition Committee that includes ARLC General Manager of Football Operations Nathan McGuirk, ARL Commissioner Wayne Pearce, NRL coaches Brian Smith and Ivan Cleary, former coaches Daniel Anderson and John Lang, and former Broncos Test captain Darren Lockyer. NRL Referees Coaches Bill Harrigan and Stuart Raper also attended.

The trial is an exploratory exercise only at this stage and is not a precursor to the system being adopted next year.

“It is something that has been used overseas and which has been discussed as an option in our game for many years,” Mr McGuirk said.

Much, much more including details of how it will work and what can be challenged @ http://www.seaeagles.com.au/news-display/Sea-Eagles-to-trial-Captains-Challenge-rule/63018

Drinkwater Challenged a knock on against Manly. Ref proved wrong the ball was stripped.

Not a bad concept.

HT - Manly 28-0

Some debate over what happens if a challenge is successful. As it stands a scrum is packed down, which is fine but if it is the 5th tackle it then means a full set of six again.

Not counting the tackle that the challenge occurred would make more sense and a play the ball. But otherwise it seemed to work ok and didn't hold up the play all that much.

This is a fantastic initiative and something I have been preaching for years.

Hardly any delay to the game and goes a long way to removing contentious decisions.

Bet Penrith would have loved a Challenge for the blatant strip by Wallace in the last few minutes of the Donkeys game.

Spuds Bodyguard said:
Some debate over what happens if a challenge is successful. As it stands a scrum is packed down, which is fine but if it is the 5th tackle it then means a full set of six again.

I think it's fair. If a strip is ruled correctly in the first place its a penalty.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4