Sea Eagles start NRL pre-season training

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Sea Eagles start NRL pre-season training

http://www.nrl.com/sea-eagles-start-nrl-pre-season-training/tabid/10874/newsid/65511/default.aspx?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

NRL premiers Manly started pre-season training minus the man who led them to the grand final victory over the Warriors.

Des Hasler took up his post as Canterbury coach last week and Monday was Geoff Toovey's chance in the Manly hot seat.

Toovey watched as the Sea Eagles, minus their international representatives and some injured players, completed a series of tests to measure the volume of oxygen used while exercising at maximum capacity.

While the club's NSW Cup and fringe first-graders began training last week, Toovey won't conduct his first field session with the main group until Friday.

He said Monday's session wasn't abnormal without the presence of premiership mentor Hasler.

"It wasn't weird at all, quite the opposite it's good to get on the front foot and get them back (for pre-season)," Toovey told AAP.

"I've spoken to the players and they're very positive about the season to come.

"We're comfortable with where we are heading right now.

"They're just excited and looking forward to some football.

"The sooner we get into the swing of things the better off we'll be."

In some positive news for the club, winger David Williams is expected to be fit for the round one clash with the Warriors after progressing well in his recovery from a neck injury.

Williams fractured the C6 vertebra in his neck in an innocuous collision playing Melbourne in round 25 last season.

And while he will not be available for February's World Club Challenge clash with Leeds, Toovey said he would come back at 100 per cent.

"It was a serious injury and was certainly a bit frightening for him but there are no dramas now," Toovey said.

"He'll come back as strong as ever."

It's Toovey time
RUGBY LEAGUE
21 NOV 11 @ 05:58PM BY ANDREW PRENTICE
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/its-toovey-time/

AS the Sea Eagles formally returned to training on Monday at Narrabeen, club legend Paul Vautin backed Geoff Toovey to be a successful head coach.

Players, including prop Brent Kite and centre Steve Matai, were put through a series of tests under the watchful eye of their new boss, as their NRL premiership defence began.

Vautin, who led Manly on a grand final victory lap at the Sydney Cricket Ground in 1987 after beating Canberra, is looking forward to seeing Toovey run the show.

“For me, he was the obvious choice to replace Des (Hasler),” he said.

“Tooves will be fine, he has good systems in place and knows the boys very well.

“He has waited for this opportunity for a long time. He loves the joint and his passion is obvious. The club is bigger than any individual, Des will always be highly regarded after what he achieved, but he made the call to go elsewhere.”

Vautin is also relishing his role as the club’s membership ambassador.

He took on the position after a chat with chief operating officer Dave Perry. “My passion for the place hasn’t changed,” he said.

“So when I was approached to be a part of the Earn Your Wings campaign, I couldn’t say yes quickly enough.”

The long-time host of Channel 9’s The Footy Show would also like to see the club secure Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans to long-term contracts.

“Anyone can see those two are the future, you can build a team around them,” he said.

The long-time host of Channel 9’s The Footy Show would also like to see the club secure Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans to long-term contracts.

“Anyone can see those two are the future, you can build a team around them,” he said.

Smartest thing Vautin has said for a while.

Chip and Chase said:

Second, thats probably the smartest thing ive ever heard out of fatty;s mouth :)

Eagles2nv said:
Chip and Chase said:

Second, thats probably the smartest thing ive ever heard out of fatty;s mouth :)

When he's not acting like an idiot and trying to be funny he does say some very good things. Unfortunately this is few and far between. Wish we could see more of this Fatty.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4