Sea Eagles stalwart Jamie Lyon wants an 18th season in the NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mac Man

Reserve Grader
HE made his NRL debut so long ago Cathy Freeman hadn’t yet won gold in Sydney.

At age 34, Manly skipper Jamie Lyon wants an 18th year in top-flight rugby league.

Lyon revealed he would seek another season at Brookvale after debuting for Parramatta way back in 2000.

A former NSW and Test centre, Lyon made his NRL debut for the Eels against Wests Tigers on June 25, 2000. Freeman didn’t create her golden moment until September 25 in the same year.

Lyon, who would kick-off next season aged 35, has already enjoyed 10 seasons at Manly, arriving in 2007 after a two-year stint with English club St Helens.

“If the form is good and they still want me and we’ve got money in the salary cap, I’ll definitely go again,” Lyon said.

story-fni0cx12-0e13603707d4ab882dfa0e4e3c9e9a3f

“I’ll see how the body is and if my form’s up to it. I was a little bit quiet on the weekend (against Canterbury) but it is only the first game. I’ll play as long as I can and I’m playing good footy and the coaching staff want me.”

Lyon will sit down with his manager, George Mimis, in the next two months to map out his future.

0495738c7023b0a5291d1136addb2ee8

Jamie Lyon during his debut season for the Eels in 2000. Pic Gregg Porteous.
“Hopefully we will have a few wins by then,” Lyon said.

Asked would he sign with another NRL club, Lyon said: “Definitely Manly would be the first choice. It’s hard with the salary cap and everything. We’ll just have to wait and see.

“I’ll be doing everything I can to stay here, that’s for sure. I’m feeling good, the body’s good. I’ve got to get a bit more involvement and play some good footy.

“We are settled here and I love the (northern) beaches. All the changes (at Manly) have freshened me up a little bit and hopefully get a couple more seasons.

“I’ve had 10 years here and obviously had a lot of good mates that have moved on which was sad to see them go. But it’s a tough game, it’s a business. I suppose clubs have got to keep moving.

“I’d definitely stand aside if someone was knocking on the door and the coaches wanted to move in a different direction. I’m not that greedy — just to stay for the sake of it. Manly is home and has been a great club for me for a lot of years.”

Jamie Lyon rates Trent Barrett
external

origin:video_integrator.B2eHRtMTE6axCngLW1o_pTWyandTz-Ud

Manly coach Trent Barrett remained composed at the post-game press conference, despite the result.

“He was pretty calm, he was obviously disappointed like us players,” Lyon said. “He knows we can do better, he still has a calm head and he still has a good aura about him so we need to play better for him.”

Asked whether Barrett blew up, Lyon said: “We were probably expecting it but he didn’t. And all coaches are different and he’s got that calm sort of demeanour about him.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...l/news-story/0e13603707d4ab882dfa0e4e3c9e9a3f

It was a disgraceful limp forwards performance. Either it turns around against the tigers or Trents under the pump!

If he loses his **** after his first game, where can he go from there? What would it even achieve?

Players aren't stupid. They know it wasn't good enough.

Lyon is 35. Barrett is 38. Adults don't need other slightly older adults screaming at them.

Barrett needs to fire up and show some passion. get angry at losing FFS

There needs to be an investigation into this :)

2V's would have shown what he thought of that peformance in digust.

But give TB a break it is only his first game as head coach!!

If he loses his **** after his first game, where can he go from there? What would it even achieve?

Players aren't stupid. They know it wasn't good enough.

Lyon is 35. Barrett is 38. Adults don't need other slightly older adults screaming at them.
Lyon needs to gve Barrett a good slap in the face or maybe bring in Les Boyd for that

OK, but how many more years can the club afford to have Stewart, Lyon and Matai in the backline? Not a politically correct question I know, but...

OK, but how many more years can the club afford to have Stewart, Lyon and Matai in the backline? Not a politically correct question I know, but...
Sit back and enjoy these three players, consistently our best players but our forwards need to step up or a few will be tapped again.

To be fair he did say if they have room in the salary cap so he wouldn't chuck a tantrum like others. Lyon has been great for us and if he goes well this yr then why not. First thing i saw on Friday was how much he had slimmed down.

Does screaming at your players after a loss make you a good coach? Take a look at Bennett, you very rarely see him blow up after a loss, but he still has the players respect and is the best coach of all time.

I can handle another season of losing please manly wake up and play up to your expectations, I miss the day of cherry, snake and Lyon all have day outs against bottom 4 sides hope we show that in round 2. Cherry really needs to pick himself up and wake up cmon mate your not getting paid 10 million to play second fiddle to a young 5/8 your there to guide, I think until DCE clicks into form we lose all our games he needs to be paying better than that and if not maybe it's time to get rid of him and sign a young gun I'm sick of him not playing good footy hasn't played well since 2013

Snake can stay as long as he wants he is our best player hands down, Lyon and Matai are starting to find their age but I would keep Lyon for another year over Matai

I don't think cap room should be an issue unless they target another big name or two. The deciding factor might be Walker at five-eighth, if it's determined he's not working there and needs to shift back to centre, then it's Lyon's spot he will most likely take.

If Trent wants a premiership title then this is the way he has to respond after a loss !!!

I think if Jamie wants to play on for a couple more years he should speak to Gift et al and find out how nice France looks right about now...

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6