Sea Eagles Season Preview 2013 from the Telecrap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/sea-eagles-season-preview-2013/story-fnh16yy7-1226559924335

AT A GLANCE

MANLY do not measure themselves in years. They measure themselves, like the fading war horse, in scars. The question mark over Manly this year is not who is left, but what is left. Jamie Lyon is 31. Jason King is about to turn 32, as is Brent Kite. Steve Matai is 28, Matt Ballin 29, Glenn Stewart is 29, Brett Stewart is days short of 28 birthday candles, Anthony Watmough hits 30 in July and Joe Galuvao is 35 and getting no younger.

"We've probably got a little bit of an ageing roster," says coach Geoff Toovey, "in certain areas".

Toovey now coaches like he plays; he never concedes easily.

"The obvious example is Jamie Lyon," he says. "Last year he had one of his best years so, while they're ageing, the experience they've got more than compensates in other areas.You've just have to keep them fit and keep them on the field."

By no means it is all doom and disaster, though. In the midst of their ageing stars are the two bright lights, Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans. They are young and good. They are 22 and 23. When you position them between Ballin giving them the ball, and Stewart receiving the ball, the Sea Eagles take shape like few other teams in the NRL. Indeed, pound for pound, Manly has arguably the best spine in the game.

And while the support cast are all closer to the end of their careers than the beginning Manly fans can quite rightly believe the Sea Eagles still have plenty of football left in them yet. For one, they are proven winners. Their scars the proof of their campaigns. It would absurd to argue that Manly, just a game short from the grand final last year, are incapable of rising again.

Much of the squad was there for the premierships in 2011 and 2008. And those senior players know better than any crew except, perhaps, Melbourne, what succeeds in the modern NRL.

"They hold the key to the culture and the success of the club," Toovey says. "They're the ones that have the drive. That echoes through with the rest of the players."

Be sure, though, that Manly's success will ride on Foran and Cherry-Evans. They were outstanding leading the Sea Eagles to the 2011 premiership and while they surrendered some of the headlines last year, Cherry-Evans continued to mature. Foran was hampered by injury, but a strong off-season has him fit and making all the right noises about the season ahead. He has spoken about playing smarter, less physical.

"They're very hungry for information," Toovey said. "Hungry for improvement and any personal information they can use to better their game."

Toovey has taken measures to ensure the Sea Eagles don't fade, or break down with injury, this season. Some senior players started pre-season after the rest, some trained just three days a week while the rest trained five. Throughout the year players will also be guided by the situation, and Toovey trusts them to give what they can to be there at the end. The Sea Eagles are as smart as anybody, and still hungrier than most. – Paul Kent

GAINS: Michael Chee Kam (Canberra NYC), Richard Fa'aoso (Melbourne), David Gower (St George Illawarra), Justin Horo (Parramatta), Brenton Lawrence (Gold Coast), Kayne Lawton (Gold Coast), Esikeli Tonga (Parramatta)

LOSSES: Liam Foran (England), Daniel Harrison (Parramatta), Darcy Lussick ({Parramatta), Vick Mauro (England), Michael Oldfield (Sydney Roosters), Dean Whare (Penrith), Tony Williams (Canterbury)

X-FACTOR: Jamie Lyon - Sea Eagles co-captain Jamie Lyon remains the club’s most destructive strike weapon out wide. Every year his form prompts pleas for the 31-year-old to come out of State of Origin retirement for NSW, but he is under pressure to deliver for Manly fans this year after requesting an immediate release from his contract to join the Gold Coast Titans. A huge part of Manly's lethal right edge attack alongside Glenn Stewart.

ROOKIE MONSTER: Michael Chee Kam - The Sea Eagles' pinching of 20-year-old Michael Chee Kam from the Raiders last year was a serious recruitment coup for the Northern Beaches. The second row forward was named in the 2012 National Youth Competition team of the year has the potential to play in the NRL this year following the departure of Tony Williams to the Bulldogs. He is a player the Raiders definitely wanted to keep.

INTERACTIVE PREDICTED FINISH
Click this to make your selection on where Manly will finish

Thanks for participating!

OUR PREDICTION
7th
YOUR PREDICTION
3rd
AVG. PREDICTION
6th

IKIN AND KENT VIDEO ON MANLY 2013

http://video.dailytelegraph.com.au/2333118566/Ben-Ikin-and-Paul-Kent-preview-Manly-Sea-Eagles

SUPERCOACH
The departure of Tony Williams could be good news for Jamie Buhrer, a noted SuperCoach performer when given minutes. The other beneficiary could be young gun Michael Chee Kam, who coach Geoff Toovey poached from Canberra.

"Sea Eagles co-captain Jamie Lyon remains the club’s most destructive strike weapon out wide. Every year his form prompts pleas for the 31-year-old to come out of State of Origin retirement for NSW, but he is under pressure to deliver for Manly fans this year after requesting an immediate release from his contract to join the Gold Coast Titans."...Not according to Jamie...

I didn't bother listening, but you do have to admit the overview is fairly close to what many people think, myself included. I may be wrong here BUT I see a situation in 2013 that might be a little different to the past with some of the younger players working in a rotational basis to give some of the older guys a rest through the year. I know we hate it in cricket BUT is this maybe a new direction NRL clubs will go to prolong the footy life of older players.

I am mainly talking forwards here, I think Killer (if fit) needs to play every game.

Yep not sure about the place on the table but the rest is a fair assessment

The only trouble with this preview is that the Tele knows everything about gossip mongering & lame ar$e unprofessional journalism but nothing, zero, nada, ziltch, zip about the sport of rugby league.

Mark from Brisbane said:
I didn't bother listening, but you do have to admit the overview is fairly close to what many people think, myself included. I may be wrong here BUT I see a situation in 2013 that might be a little different to the past with some of the younger players working in a rotational basis to give some of the older guys a rest through the year. I know we hate it in cricket BUT is this maybe a new direction NRL clubs will go to prolong the footy life of older players.

I am mainly talking forwards here, I think Killer (if fit) needs to play every game.

The rotation policy might be viable except for the salary cap. When you watch a side like Manchester United rest players, you have to remember that they have no limit on the size of their roster (and on the money at their disposal).

If our young guys start seeing semi regular first grade and make a decent fist of it, their value increases and holding on to them becomes difficult.

Anyway, time will tell. I agree that you have to have decent depth and I think we're better served this year than in many previous years.

A fair preview, on the whole. Not sure about the final standing though, I'll be disappointed if we finish 7th. Hard to see whether our losses are worse than our gains. Time will tell, although its fair to say there is plenty of potential in the gains list.

A fair assessment for sure, however, I think we have a very good blend at the moment. We have some older forwards, but we also have some young guns too. Our young guys can learn from the likes of Kite, Watmough, Joe and Kingy....what better role models could you get?

If you were a young centre looking to break through into the NRL, you could do a lot worse than spend some time around Lyon and Matai. Our young halves combo is the key. They will be here to see out the older guys, and will also be here as the younger guys progress and become more regular.

I'll be tipping us as top 4 for atleast the next 5 years.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
SUPERCOACH
The departure of Tony Williams could be good news for Jamie Buhrer, a noted SuperCoach performer when given minutes. The other beneficiary could be young gun Michael Chee Kam, who coach Geoff Toovey poached from Canberra.

So I am awaiting the Bulldogs/Eels/Roosters... DT 2013 Season Preview and read how they poached TDog/Darcy, Harrison, Hopoate..? :mad:

Curious how every year they have Manly out of the Top 4 :huh:

The comment about Killer owing Fans due to his failed release request is also spurious scuttlebutt.
A happy Killer is all we need for another Premiership winning Season.:shy:

All the young Players coming into grade at Manly, must be ecstatic to get work experience from out Dad's Army of Premiers and Internationals. :angel:

2013 They Year of the Snake:exclamation:

I don't see age as much of a barrier, IMO it all comes down to keeping the team focused on climbing the "premiership mountain". That's why I think the injection (pardon the pun) of fresh faces will be crucial to our chances in 2013.
I have every faith in Tooves and the coaching staff to keep them motivated.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6