Sea Eagles reveal faith in Peta Hiku

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
HE is the man with huge boots to fill when the Sea Eagles clash with South Sydney at Bluetongue Stadium on Friday night.

And Manly players have expressed their confidence in teammate Peta Hiku as he prepares to replace Brett Stewart as fullback.

Read More

HE is the man with huge boots to fill when the Sea Eagles clash with South Sydney at Bluetongue Stadium on Friday night.

And Manly players have expressed their confidence in teammate Peta Hiku as he prepares to replace Brett Stewart as fullback.

Stewart was in vintage touch during last Saturday's game with the Storm before he injured his hamstring and missed the second half.

"He's a big loss, he's a great player and very rarely plays a bad game," said co-captain Jamie Lyon.

"Peta Hiku has done a good job there last year and he can really play some good footy."

"Everyone else just has to pick it up a just little bit and I'm sure we will."

Backrower Anthony Watmough said the team has had to deal with Stewart's absence in the past.

"We have lost him during games and Peta is a great talent," Watmough said.

"He will just add a different dimension to our game now and we will adapt."

Hiku was one of the Sea Eagles' real finds last season' playing both at fullback and on the wing after making his NRL debut in round six against Cronulla.

His efforts saw him named the club's rookie of the year.

Coach Geoff Toovey was able to provide an update on Stewart's situation after he underwent scans to determine the extent of his injury.

"He will be out for a week, maybe two," Toovey said

Jon Geddes
Manly Daily

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/sea-eagles-players-express-faith-in-peta-hiku-as-new-fullback/story-fngr8iii-1226852699206

I hope the young guy doesn't read this forum as some are ready to send him over to Des.
I'm tipping he has a big game on Friday. Good luck Peta.

I have no doubts at all he'll play well. He did last year, including in big finals matches.

Coach Geoff Toovey was able to provide an update on Stewart’s situation after he underwent scans to determine the extent of his injury.

“He will be out for a week, maybe two,” Toovey said

Maybe two, maybe ten. Good one Tooves. Tell them nothing.:D
1 to 2 weeks would be great news if it were to be true. Heal fast please the Snake.

Ralphie said:
I love the kid, but Inglis running at him will be a disaster.

I'd rather Inglis run at Hiku than The Snake. To be fair Inglis running at anyone is a disaster the guy is an animal.

Hiku will do alright just needs more game time in that position. I feel sorry for the guy being played all over the place It be hard for him to build confidence. He's our next best fullback.

Ralphie said:
Hiku may not be that quick but he is strong enough to care of Inglis and his backline mates

Hiku's defence is very, very good. You just have to look back at the 9's to see that. He doesn't have any fear in defence and nor does he running the ball back.

He just doesn't have Snake's speed or maturity to read a game yet. One aspect is natural talent and the other will come with experience.

Last week, I don't think Inglis' tries came through Minichiello missing a tackle, but more so inside passes or outside the centers/wingers.

We've handled games without Brett before and won them. Peta Hiku has been real good whenever he's been needed to fill in for Brett. I know it's probably too much to ask of the refs as I'm sure the Rabbitoh's calls upon their specially reserved ref for whenever they're coming up against us (our boys) but, could we at least have a fair game where the penalty count does not favour the Rabbitoh's all night??? I know I wanted them (Rabbitoh's) to beat the Roosters in round one, but round two is going to be different; it's our Manly boys the Rabbitoh's are going to be up against this time :exclamation::exclamation::exclamation:

I like this article and the faith that the players show in him.

Many are very critical of Peta, but he has served this club well. Snakes boots are incredibly unique and he does a good job.

The reality is Skivvy and Killer are on the ends of their careers and Peta shows good qualities as a future centre.

I think we should invest in his future, he has the potential to give alot back to this club.

mickqld said:
Ralphie said:

Inglis has never been damaging against us. We know how to contain him, it's only the pink clowns who will give him a leg up.
People suppress unpleasant memories. Last year @ Brookvale, straight after half time, Inglis scored a big try, went through several defenders, including Choc, Snake. Being flipped by Richie F did NOT worry him.

Ralphie said:

Semis last year - Inglis one-on-one with the Mighty Wolf, he had the best seat in the house to watch one of the most amazing tries ever seen :D

Everything is possible - lets expect the best of our Manly Team :angel:

mickqld said:
Ralphie said:

Inglis has never been damaging against us. We know how to contain him, it's only the pink clowns who will give him a leg up.
At least GI won't be able to pretend to be unconscious this year. I have a feeling he'll have a head injury free year.
If I was coach, with the size of the bunnies I would fine any player who gave away a stupid penalty close to the line - not including unexplainable Steggles Hayne penalties. We need to keep them out of our 20. They can crash over us with their size.
Manly hearts need to be bigger than souths bodies this Friday.

Townsville Eagle said:
I really don't understand all of this. Hiku is a great talent and will show everyone on the weekend. I am confident with Hiku at the back, so off we go for another battle. Rip in boys.

Hiku is your next best option if the regular backs are out. He is a good player. I don't see him as a centre but definitely a fullback. This game will test out all the new boys and to be honest there is no one that I am Crazy about or have Big Wraps On thats new at the moment, except Jake T, who should be on the interchange bench and playing, so this game I am looking forward to seeing how they go.
Hopefully the Holden Cup Boys will get another win, but only if they pass the bloody ball out to their outside backs especially near the Try Line. If they keep their traditionally forward playing game they will be back losing again. Their halves which are very ordinary and do like hogging the ball at times they just need to pass it out quickly, no fancy stuff and no kicking, especially on the 3rd and giving it straight to the hands of the opposition, play as a team and play like Parramatta did in the 1sts where hat tricks were scored by their wingers on both sides of the field as they tired down a big Warriors side with their constant passing. Parramatta Holden Cup are following the same formula and are winning as well all their grades won last week, under a good head coach in Arthur, love his game plan.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
mickqld said:
Inglis has never been damaging against us
... since 2007.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
People suppress unpleasant memories. Last year @Brookvalee, straight after half time, Inglis scored a big try, went through several defenders, including Choc, Snake. Being flipped by Richie F did NOT worry him.

Oh yeah, that one too :exclamation:

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4