Sea eagles no longer screaming

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
you have done well Vidmar, you have gotten two people onside already.

Who would have thought that some promotion and clear communication would increase sales. Shame that its not the club doing so.

Good onya Nutz. Im a 1st timer this year as well, and i joined the Footy club as well.

Best part of it was that for each one you get a free $25 bet, so if you invest that wisely then it pays for itself.

Hi Stillman,
Hope you get good grades for your efforts and that the article helped?

Re membership promotion...(and no I’m not recruiting for a cult but I do happen to know a bit about this topic so happy to share…) the club had a change in that area just prior to the 2007 when Alan Webster and Lauren left the club to be replaced by Aaron Markie (Who was previously the web master) and a new lady called Grace Alder.

Both these people had to pick up the slack very quickly and work under enormous pressure whilst wearing a number of other "hats" at the same time.

I'm not employed by the club in any capacity but as a keen fan and getting to many games I have gotten to know them and other members of the "back office" staff and so perhaps get a better insight sometimes to the challenges they face.

Without doubt they are just as committed (if not more so!) in raising the profile of the club, boosting new memberships and doing what they can to support the existing member base.

From speaking to them, other members and from the posts I see from time to time they generally do an incredibly good job under the circumstances but unfortunately even when they are working long hours and sometimes 7 days a week during the season with limited budgets and minimal resources it may be deemed by some to be "not enough".

The fact of the matter is that our membership department – committed as they are - are not marketeers by trade - they fit this duty under any number of other jobs in an effort to reduce costs to the club (for example - Aaron who heads up that area is also responsible for the design and regular updating of the official web site and even does the "live match updates" at away games (amongst all manner of other things)

Simple answer of course - hire more people - BUT if there is not the funds to do it then the CEO can't justify it or afford it.

This is another reason why I understand the importance of the club receiving funding.

Being no stranger to debt myself and struggling to pay bills and meet other commitments I fully understand people when they quite rightly need to allocate their funds elsewhere BUT there will be people reading this that are quite happy to blow a few hundred on piss over the weekend, get takeaway lunches every day at work and then scream that the club should reduce membership fees or do away with them altogether so that they can post on an official site.

Amongst these people will be those who attended the "Save Brookie" Rally, fill these pages with hate mail when we can't afford to attract or keep players or be critical of the efforts of the club in general.

I nearly lost my team once and I don't want it to happen again.

This is my effort to educate and inform as best I can

Thanks for taking the time to read this
Vidmar

Just because a club offers benefits for its members doesn't mean they can't make a profit? You guys are crying out like people want a hat worth a wholesale price of $25 and a card worth $5 for $30 anually?

The point I have been trying to make the whole way is that when all your money is going on something important and you have the oportunity to spend what little of it you have left, would you chose to give it away so a football club you support can opperate or would you spend it on something for yourself because lets face it, how often do you get to do that?

Whats so hard about seeing their is a market for memberships that entice people with extremely low income or in tough situations.

And at the expense of sounding like a broken record, $1 profit from a member is better than $0 and when you build a club culture like that, whats to say somewhere down the track that these people won't be in the situation to afford a better membership or season tickets?

It's great to see your dedication Vidmar and from speaking with Aaron while conducting my research i quickly realised that the business is under-resourced in this department. But I guess at some point a decision will need to be made as to if or not membership is a key area of focus for the club and employ the adequate staffing in this area to help grow the business.

There are boundless opportunities for the club to increase member numbers if they operate intelligently. Have look at how many people are arriving at each game decked from head to toe in maroon and white and try and tell me that they would not be willing to commit something more than their hearts and lungs to their team if the marketing mix is right.

2100 ticketed members is a start but there is a lot more space on the hill.

vidmar link said:
Hi Stillman,
Hope you get good grades for your efforts and that the article helped?

Re membership promotion...(and no I’m not recruiting for a cult but I do happen to know a bit about this topic so happy to share…) the club had a change in that area just prior to the 2007 when Alan Webster and Lauren left the club to be replaced by Aaron Markie (Who was previously the web master) and a new lady called Grace Alder.

Both these people had to pick up the slack very quickly and work under enormous pressure whilst wearing a number of other \"hats\" at the same time.

I'm not employed by the club in any capacity but as a keen fan and getting to many games I have gotten to know them and other members of the \"back office\" staff and so perhaps get a better insight sometimes to the challenges they face.

Without doubt they are just as committed (if not more so!) in raising the profile of the club, boosting new memberships and doing what they can to support the existing member base.

From speaking to them, other members and from the posts I see from time to time they generally do an incredibly good job under the circumstances but unfortunately even when they are working long hours and sometimes 7 days a week during the season with limited budgets and minimal resources it may be deemed by some to be \"not enough\".

The fact of the matter is that our membership department – committed as they are - are not marketeers by trade - they fit this duty under any number of other jobs in an effort to reduce costs to the club (for example - Aaron who heads up that area is also responsible for the design and regular updating of the official web site and even does the \"live match updates\" at away games (amongst all manner of other things)

Simple answer of course - hire more people - BUT if there is not the funds to do it then the CEO can't justify it or afford it.

This is another reason why I understand the importance of the club receiving funding.

Being no stranger to debt myself and struggling to pay bills and meet other commitments I fully understand people when they quite rightly need to allocate their funds elsewhere BUT there will be people reading this that are quite happy to blow a few hundred on piss over the weekend, get takeaway lunches every day at work and then scream that the club should reduce membership fees or do away with them altogether so that they can post on an official site.

Amongst these people will be those who attended the \"Save Brookie\" Rally, fill these pages with hate mail when we can't afford to attract or keep players or be critical of the efforts of the club in general.

I nearly lost my team once and I don't want it to happen again.

This is my effort to educate and inform as best I can

Thanks for taking the time to read this
Vidmar

That's me.

That's why I'm more than happy to sign up. The only reason I hadn't before this is I wasn't even aware it was available for people outside of Manly.

clontaago link said:
What a membership offer should look like

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/Membership/tabid/4403/default.aspx

So for $70.00 you get the same sort of stuff as Manly and you are not classified as an "official member". It is however a very slick looking website but I guess that what the extra fees go towards supporting.

SilentBob link said:
I'm not going to argue the point, people do what they like with their money,  it's really nobodies business, some of you blokes would probably be great recruiters for cults though with your persistance.

Isn't supporting any football side some sort of cult. We follow them regardless of who is playing, who they are playing, who happens to lead them onto the field. For most of us they are indoctrinated into us, we will support them in any argument against supporters of opposition cults and if they lose we will give a myriad excuses of why it was not their fault.

We adorn our cars with stickers professing our devotion and on game days when we visit the shrine known as Brookvale Oval we wear special coloured clothing to show the world our love and devotion.

Sounds a lot like a cult to me!

Corso_Pete link said:
[quote author=SilentBob link=topic=177629.msg186710#msg186710 date=1213149304]
I'm not going to argue the point, people do what they like with their money,  it's really nobodies business, some of you blokes would probably be great recruiters for cults though with your persistance.

Isn't supporting any football side some sort of cult. We follow them regardless of who is playing, who they are playing, who happens to lead them onto the field. For most of us they are indoctrinated into us, we will support them in any argument against supporters of opposition cults and if they lose we will give a myriad excuses of why it was not their fault.

We adorn our cars with stickers professing our devotion and on game days when we visit the shrine known as Brookvale Oval we wear special coloured clothing to show the world our love and devotion.

[/quote]

Cults expect you to give them all their money for no return too. 

I paid 265 dollars for something that includes entry to all home games.  What did I buy?  Am I a member of something?

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Corso_Pete link=topic=177629.msg186740#msg186740 date=1213172079]
[quote author=SilentBob link=topic=177629.msg186710#msg186710 date=1213149304]

[/quote]

Cults expect you to give them all their money for no return too. 
[/quote]

You need to get a pay rise, $48 per annum is really under the  market rate, even for Dubbo!

DSM5 link said:
I paid 265 dollars for something that includes entry to all home games.  What did I buy?  Am I a member of something?

Yes Bob you are

Corso_Pete link said:
[quote author=clontaago link=topic=177629.msg186738#msg186738 date=1213168961]

So for $70.00 you get the same sort of stuff as Manly and you are not classified as an "official member". It is however a very slick looking website but I guess that what the extra fees go towards supporting.
[/quote]

Over 35,000 members Pete. How many have Manly got?

We should be looking at how the AFL developed the membership culture & expanded their membership bases to that level.  As an example Carlton have won probably less than 10 games over the last 2 or 3 seasons but can still get 35k members.  Just over a decade ago I think most AFL teams had memberships around 10k mark but now most memberships are in excess of 30k.  You look at Collingwood, Weagles, Crows, essendon and they are even bigger than Carltons.

The sums are simple 35,000 members at say a net profit margin of $40 (approx 60% off fee) means $1.4 million back to the club.  That is the way forward for NRL clubs if they are going to survive and thrive into the future.

That is why I am so passionate about this subject as I believe without a strong membership base we are going to struggle even if Brookvale Oval is redeveloped in a $20 million stadium.

Same goes Wheel - I'm thinking you and I should be chatting?
My work is heavily involved in "customer aquisition and retention" and the strategies work whatever the "widget"
I know the club are now looking to finalise the membership packages for 2009 and am sure that if a like minded group of supporters offered to assist in giving feedback and then promoting it then they would consider it?
Realistically the club needs extra hands and experience and I'd be happy to get involved with others who feel that they could bring their experience to the table?

Vidmar - more than happy to help where I can.  I reckon getting some 'customer' feedback on their 2009 programme is a great idea.

Thanks Wheel - Running around like mad at the moment as I fly to NZ tomorrow for a weeks hols before heading to Mt. Smart for the game.
Will come on here and make a plan when I get back?
Cheers
Vid

Cheers Vid, have a great time in NZ hope the Sea Eagles deliver a great victory over the warriors and you make it home from the ground safely

clontaago link said:
[quote author=Corso_Pete link=topic=177629.msg186739#msg186739 date=1213171667]
[quote author=clontaago link=topic=177629.msg186738#msg186738 date=1213168961]

[/quote]

Over 35,000 members Pete. How many have Manly got?
[/quote]

That was my point, they are selling essentially the same thing, at a higher cost and yet they have around 33,000 more members. What makes Victorians want to be a member of their club?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4