Sea Eagles may start 2008 slowly: Orford

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Sea Eagles may start 2008 slowly: Orford
By Steve Jancetic
AAP

http://nrl.com/News/Latest/tabid/10244/default.aspx?id=49987

Manly skipper Matt Orford has warned Sea Eagles fans that last year's beaten NRL grand finalists could be a little slow out of the blocks as they adjust to life without Michael Monaghan.

Monaghan has hit the ground running in guiding Warrington into a share of top spot in the English Super League, but back on Sydney's northern beaches, his absence is being felt.

Playing predominantly at hooker, Monaghan was the creative force behind much of what Manly did last year.

His departure is likely to see even more of the playmaking pressure lumped on Orford's shoulders.

And while Orford denied it would all be up to him, he admitted it could take a while for he and whoever inherited the No.9 jumper to gel, with former Sydney Roosters rake Heath L'Estrange and last year's back-up Matt Ballin battling it out for the job.

"It's going to take a few games but I played a few games with Matty last year, so it's just those little calls that Monners and I had," Orford said.

"We read each others games, that could take a while.

"Me and Monners did well because we complemented each other's game, so I think to a certain extent (there is more pressure on me).

"But I think Jamie Lyon's a lot more settled this year, he's going to take more responsibility and he's a lot more comfortable playing where he's playing.

"I think with Matty Ballin and Heath there, we're going to share that role ... it's not all going to be me out there, those guys have got a role to play as well."

While the Sea Eagles won't be venturing too far from the game plan which took them all the way to last year's NRL decider, Orford said fans could expect some minor changes.

With Lyon having now had a whole season at five-eighth, Orford said it was only natural that he and his halves partner would be a little more adventurous in 2008.

"We're just going to run around the park and wherever we pop up we pop up," Orford said.

"Des has sort of given us a free rein this year to play what we see and blokes to push into holes and give us options inside and out.

"With that I'm sure you'll see Jamie and I running the ball a lot more and taking the line on."

Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler will name his side for Saturday night's opening round home game against Cronulla on Tuesday.

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. David Vaeliki
04. Steven Bell
05. Michael Bani
06. Jamie Lyon
07. Matt Orford
08. Jason King
09. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Menzies
13. Glenn Stewart

14. Heath Le'Strange
15. Josh Perry
16. Adam Cuthbertson
17. Glenn Hall

Orford didn't have too much problem "gelling" with Ballin last year.  The amusing thing is the dumb Sharks will probably fall for this crap and come out complacent. 

"We're just going to run around the park and wherever we pop up we pop up," Orford said.

Good game plan. Why didnt I think of that.

Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk!

Canteen Worker link said:
Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk! Paper talk!
What are you trying to say CW?  ;)

Utility Player link said:
[quote author=Canteen Worker link=topic=177055.msg179123#msg179123 date=1205149271]
What are you trying to say CW?  ;)
[/quote]  Byso thinks the Tele is gospel.

Well it was a direct quote, but then again we all know the herald is your favourite paper to leak worthless information ;)

All i can say is if we are to compete & win against melbourne in 2008 then we sure as hell need to have our mental approach spot on across the whole team with the right desire to win every game we play.

"Winning isnt everything - but wanting to win is" - Vince Lombardi

A quote such as "we may start slowly"  before our first game of the season doesnt help.

Canteen Worker link said:

I hope it is only paper talk!

It's a worry when your captain is making excuses before the first game has even been played.

Jatz Crackers link said:
All i can say is if we are to compete & win against melbourne in 2008 then we sure as hell need to have our mental approach spot on across the whole team with the right desire to win every game we play.

\"Winning isnt everything - but wanting to win is\" - Vince Lombardi

A quote such as \"we may start slowly\"  before our first game of the season doesnt help.

byso link said:
Well it was a direct quote, but then again we all know the herald is your favourite paper to leak worthless information ;)
  When was the last time you posted anything that lacked needle and contained substance?  2004 perhaps?

Fro link said:
Interesting Ryan, as it was when Jatz said it earlier :)

If you directly quote someone, and don't say anything, I thought it meant you are just agreeing with them.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6