Sea Eagles heading for $1m loss

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
MANLY'S success on the field this season hasn't been mirrored off it as the Sea Eagles are set to incur a million-dollar loss, along with the administration being splintered by a clash between chief operating officer David Perry and long-time media manager Peter Peters.

Read the full article

Not that surprising really when all other NRL clubs are regularly turning over a loss except for the Broncos who always produce a profit, but even then it's only around $900K which is birdfeed when they bring in $30+Mill every season.

When was the last time we actually made a profit? and wasn't there talk a few years ago the Penn family were thinking of listing the club on the ASX?

We need a better media manager, Zorba can still stay on at the club in some position.

We need more professional approach in the postition.

The promotion and media depts need to merge. Peters isn't the man to take us to the next level. He's too parochial and small town to get it. He's never on the front foot and I just don't see any value in having him around. There are numerous issues with the club; ground, ticketing, media coverage, political support and marketing to name a few. With a professional approach we can overcome these issues and get ourselves onto a sound financial footing. Unfortunately with uncle Pete at the helm, we're just not taken seriously and will continue to struggle.

A premiership this year is as crucial for our financial survival as the next TV rights deal is.

I am certainly glad that the NRL clubs are so much better off financially under Gallop than they would have been without him

Again our dirty washing gets hung out to dry for all to see.
Why cant we get any psoitives out there

you'd think with the doubling in membership we would have gone okay but still its the corporate boxes that bring in the dough. Brookie has very few so a million dollar loss isn't that surprising. Unfortunately the question remains, how long can we afford to stay our our run down ground? See the tahs are going back to sfs. That is our best option if we could get a 50-100k guarantee like ANZ.

Frogz said:

Just the media trying to disrupt our march to the premiership. Seriously, who expects a positive story on Manly between now and the GF. The media will be doing everything to have their darlings (Tigers and Saints) win the comp This will mean plenty of neagtive crap, such as this, for the next few weeks.

When does the naming rights deal for the NRL go up for auction? Surely more money to go along with the tv rights deal would be good for everyone

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
MPC75 said:
Frogz said:

Just the media trying to disrupt our march to the premiership. Seriously, who expects a positive story on Manly between now and the GF. The media will be doing everything to have their darlings (Tigers and Saints) win the comp This will mean plenty of neagtive crap, such as this, for the next few weeks.

I have to agree with you MPC75. it is a private company so almost no one knows the true state of the books, least of all another News Ltd paper seeking to throw the worst light on our club.

I think that might be the saving grace, The Eagle, hopfully the new tv rights can guarantee us enough to at least break even every year or even better, give abit of extra cash flow to replenish resources, sign new coaches etc. Just can't see how the current management are going to put up with 6 figure losses every year in the future?
Penn is a pretty smart operator so I'm sure he is doing everything he can. The signing of Kaspersky will be a help in next year's figures as they signed so late this year.
I get cranky when I keep seeing DrugCastle, Wollongong, Saints, Penrith etc with tens of millions thrown at them and we get zip!! Newcastle have got one of the wealthiest owners in the country and he inherits a 35000k seater stadium!!

The club has to make a choice very soon or get an answer fom the politicians. If they cannot see money given in next 3-5 years then we may have to leave.

Im not asking about TV RIGHTS,im asking about NAMING RIGHTS

As in NRL TELSTRA PREMIERSHIP

When do they have to re-sign or GTFO?

Perhaps they can sell it off at say $500k a round and $3mil for the GF

So youd have say "Snickers round 1 NRL premiership" and "Avatar round 2 NRL premiership" etc and have a major sponsor with naming rights for the premiership itself,Americanize a bit people like the Nationwide sprint series with the Snickers 500 bristol night race (I know thats incorrect in entirety,but you get the idea surely)

Bleed the ****er for all its got for the prosperity of the sport and every club involved....even souths and melbourne

My idea may strike bad with people but think of it this way

Would you rather an advertising ridden NRL season OR would you rather nothing whatsoever,having clubs such as Sharks and us die forever....

When you go the most part of a season without major sponsor you don't expect to make a profit. Put it down to lowe.

Hopefully the new commision will reverse the NSWRL legislation that terminated the alliance with the Sunshine Coast. That decision cost Manly more than $200k.

When was the last time we made a profit? (or any Sydneyclub) For Manly im guessing pre super leauge.

Jerry1 said:
When you go the most part of a season without major sponsor you don't expect to make a profit. Put it down to lowe.

Well this is obvious, but if mentioned around here it seems to exact a vituperative response. Lowe patently failed the club, than goodness he is consigned to history.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6