Sea Eagles co-owner Rick Penn keen to retain Glenn Stewart

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
SEA Eagles co-owner Rick Penn say he absolutely wants star backrower Glenn Stewart to remain at the club next year and would gutted if he had to leave.

“And I think someone of his stature who has
Glenn+Stewart+izoGyi8pi8im1.jpg
been at a club for 10 years should be able to have some kind of (salary cap) dispensation, particularly for an outstanding person like Glenn,” Penn said.

“I am a great supporter of Glenn, for the whole glue of the club he is a terrific fellow.”

He added that at the end of the day the Sea Eagles board was responsible for good governance and the commercial viability of the club.

More may be known of Stewart’s future with his management scheduled the meet the Sea Eagles tomorrow.

Manly are facing a waiting game to learn whether star Stewart will play in Sunday’s game with the Wests Tigers at Leichhardt Oval after being concussed during the win over the Roosters

The ballplaying forward was assisted from the field in the 19th minute of last Friday’s gutsy 8-0 victory at Allianz Stadium after he was flattened by the shoulder of Jared Waerea-Hargreaves.

Stewart did not return to the field and he had to be driven back home to the northern beaches by his brother Brett after the game.

The former Sea Eagle Waerea-Hargreaves was hit witha grade two striking charge.

“Glenn took a fairly heavy knock to his head,” said Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey.

“He will go through the concussion protocol this week.

“He won’t train if he is available until the captain’s run.”

Waerea-Hargreaves received a five-week suspension last year after being found guilty a high tackle on Sea Eagles prop George Rose.

The Sea Eagles will have prop Jason King back this week after serving a one-game suspension.

Centre Steve Matai suffered a cork during his starring performance against the Roosters but Toovey said he will be fit for Sunday.

Jon Geddes
Manly Daily

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/sea-eagles-coowner-rick-penn-keen-to-retain-glenn-stewart/story-fngr8iii-1226869930848

SEA Eagles co-owner Rick Penn say he absolutely wants star backrower Glenn Stewart to remain at the club next year and would gutted if he had to leave.

“And I think someone of his stature who has been at a club for 10 years should be able to have some kind of (salary cap) dispensation, particularly for an outstanding person like Glenn,” Penn said.

“I am a great supporter of Glenn, for the whole glue of the club he is a terrific fellow.”

Read More

I was having a conversation with with a mate of mine this morning,another die hard Manly fan,he cant understand that we havent bought any marquee players since killer,and yet we still have struggles with the cap,yes we have success with lesser names,but we have a struggle to keep players like gifty,did hussler screw us that bad,this has been going on for at least 5 years,and it doesnt look like ending anytime soon,its no wonder fans are getting disillusioned with the game,when some clubs just do as they please

Kiwi Eagle said:
We may not have signed marquee players from elsewhere, but we have resigned them in regards to the upgrades Foran and DCE have gotten over that time
yeah I know what you are saying Kiwi,and I agree,but we never seem to get to the position where we have heaps of money to spend,we have had trouble staying under the cap for,it seems like ages

Well im glad that Rick Penn is coming out saying we want to keep Glenn.

I think Gifts signature is more then him about a player, but more a cultural issue for the club. It may also help keep Foz at the club.

The answer to buying and retaining quality players today I think is found outside the cap....not inside. Independent 3rd party funding is now unlimited and with such high profile connections such as the Penn family, I am surprised we have not been able to better leverage the corporate sector more so.

Not sure how much the players get in 3rd party money today but I would be willing to bet it is significantly less than the Roosters, Storm, Bronco’s etc. Sunny Bill’s arrangement would have to be massively funded through this source. Most people wrongly assume that this 3rd party funding only relates to sponsorship but this actually can relate to virtually any arms length independent current and future arrangement. Not sure who manages this for us but a) they would need to be well connected not just to the Northern beaches corporate sector but also to the much wider ASX level corporates and b) would need to think beyond simple sponsorships. Be a great job!!!

silvereagle said:
Independent 3rd party funding is now unlimited
Yes but it can't be dependent on playing for a particular club
, see other thread '3rd party agreements'

http://www.silvertails.net/forum/Thread-3rd-Party-Agreements?pid=560022#pid560022

and nrl site

http://www.nrl.com/nrlhq/referencecentre/salarycap/tabid/10434/default.aspx

'"Loyal fans continue to email The Daily Telegraph offering their own money to retain Stewart."
Gee, that sounds believable.....I'll send Dean Ritchie some money, he'll fix it.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/will-kill-manly-majority-shareholder-rick-penn-if-sea-eagles-lose-glenn-stewart/story-fni3gnk1-1226870170324

OK so which story is true on this April fools day.

Glen & Brett have gone to Cantberra or we do want to keep them

Gee I hate this day.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8