Sea Eagles cash in by making a profit for 2013

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

vidmar

Bencher
The Sea Eagles can celebrate a successful season on and off the field.

The Sea Eagles have capped a memorable season by turning a profit for the first time in over 35 years.

Source: News Limited

Read More

The Sea Eagles have capped a memorable season by turning a profit for the first time in over 35 years.

While Geoff Toovey's team overcame adversity to make the grand final, off the field the club managed to do the same thing in what is a tough economic environment.

And they did it without the luxury of leagues club grant which many of their NRL rivals enjoy and a board that has been plagued by internal squabbles.

Sea Eagles general manager David Perry would not reveal the amount of profit achieved, the Manly Daily understands it is in the vicinity of $100,000.

"The past couple of years had been challenging and no doubt the next couple will be challenging as well," Perry said.

"Relationships are more important than ever and return on investment is critical.

"You can't afford to drop the ball and we believe we have delivered in some very positive ways."

Perry has briefed both the club's owner groups on the financial results last week.

"We are really proud of that," Perry said.

"We grew in all areas and not only that but I think we delivered some really good output and engagement with our fans through our website and marketing initiatives," Perry said.

"And our membership campaigns have been received in a very positive way."

This year the club held a CBD luncheon this year that was attended by 460 people..

"A lot of sponsors these days are emotionally attached but want to justify their investment and want a return," Perry said.

He said while a lot of clubs don't do that very well, it is an area that Manly has worked hard to address with frequent business to business events.

"And our merchandising strategy is as modern as any other sporting franchise," Perry said.

"We are maximising all our opportunities when the team is performing well.

"Now we are in the position where we have set up the business as we said we would some time ago."

Perry said the club had created a model that allowed them to talk positively about their brand and performance for potential new major investors.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/sea-eagles-cash-in-on-success-by-turning-a-profit/story-fngr8iii-1226745358421?from=newslocal_rss

A timely announcement.
When we are reminded just how tight the finances are it only highlights how outrageous the NRL has been in imposing fines on our club for Toovey's comments this year, for Brett being falsely charged in 2009, and also in failing to redirect the prize for the minor premiership in 2007 (and 2008?) to the rightful winners.

^ I'm a member!

Good news to read! Well done all.

...."And they did it without the luxury of leagues club grant which many of their NRL rivals enjoy ...."

Yeah screw you NRL, if you were an apple, you'd totally be like a bad one!

Good stuff. You can only go so many years of having private owners having to dip into their own pockets when the club loses money before they walk away.

Well done the club; I reckon that 100k profit is what I spent on merchandise this year.

I look forward to laudatory articles from Zorba, Deano and Phil regarding our 'CEO with the training wheels on,' Mr David Perry.

The marketing, PR and communications department of the MWSE has done a great job over the past year maximising information to members and enticing new members to join. They deserve credit.

The Who said:
The marketing, PR and communications department of the MWSE has done a great job over the past year maximising information to members and enticing new members to join. They deserve credit.

Thanks!

Im sure i read recently, possibly in the Krillich rebel bid article, that we were set for another loss hence more board tensions.

Shows why you shouldnt pay attention to any of those articles.

Good stuff by Perry, hope his plan is long term and this becomes the norm (which I'm sure he will do his best)

This can't be true, playing out of Brookvale costs the club big dollars and will eventually kill us, Darren told me so :p

This is great news. Some fantastic work has been done to get the club into this position, both on and off the field.

vidmar said:

Read More

So a footy club spent all the money they were granted by their leagues club, gate takings , sponsors etc. That's what they are supposed to. Thinking you can make money from a footy club is nuts.

Brissie Kid said:
vidmar said:

Read More

So a footy club spent all the money they were granted by their leagues club, gate takings , sponsors etc. That's what they are supposed to. Thinking you can make money from a footy club is nuts.

With the amount of corporate dollars floating around the game now, thinking you can't make money from a footy club is nuts.

Ignoring all the rubbish that gets printed about factions/wars/squabbles to sell papers and fuel existing agendas- the club has seemingly never been run better from both a football and economic viewpoint.

Great stuff. Long may it continue and hats off to all those responsible.

The Indian said:
Ignoring all the rubbish that gets printed about factions/wars/squabbles to sell papers and fuel existing agendas- the club has seemingly never been run better from both a football and economic viewpoint.

Great stuff. Long may it continue and hats off to all those responsible.

Adding to this is the on-field results which stem from very astute recruitment. This has seen us extremely competitive for nine seasons when all other clubs (including the southern cheats) have ping-ponged, which is not good for the health of we supporters.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6