Sea Eagles’ ‘super subs’ shine

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Daddycool08

Reserve Grader
These guys got bagged by a lot of the fans last week.

Hiku going to the dogs, we should drop Buhrer etc.

You know who you are. :p

So what happened on Friday night?

Hiku by his strength got a pass away for the first try.

Buhrer made the bust on the right side that led to the second try.

So I now sing their praises - well done boys. You and the rest of the team won the game for us and a big thank you from me. :D

I agree these 2 are essentials for manlys future. Spending big money on individuals will kill our future competitiveness. I didn't rate Hiku too well but now im seeing him as the fullback of the future.

Ferris had a mighty game. He's always big on defence but also his attack was good on Friday. Yes, he had a few penalties against him but I think many of them were the refs picking on him, which is a common occurrence. Perhaps it's his bonnet he wears.

Between Darcy Lussick & him, I'd rather Ferris every time!

Peta Hiku, he's no Brett Stewart but at least he tries and he's getting better each game that he plays. And that offload was superb.

Terry-Randal said:
I agree these 2 are essentials for manlys future. Spending big money on individuals will kill our future competitiveness. I didn't rate Hiku too well but now im seeing him as the fullback of the future.

If he can play fullback week in and week out he will develop combinations that will have him up there with the best Fullbacks. I'm a big fan of his, but it is hard for him when he just fills in now and then.

Ralphie said:
Terry-Randal said:

If he can play fullback week in and week out he will develop combinations that will have him up there with the best Fullbacks. I'm a big fan of his, but it is hard for him when he just fills in now and then.

Yeah fair enough I was bagging Hiku's dropped balls last week, but I never wanted to punt him. He was really strong vs souths, good stuff.

Even Manly fans can be idiots. With the roster Manly has, the stars ,champions in so many key positions its monumental to have such quality back up players that can step up and play more than just a support role for the team

Manly are blessed in having the stewies, lyons, cherrys and fozzies,etc etc etc but to be able to call on players like this who are still way down the pecking order is tremendous, and we should understand that a lot more than we do

Its not the strongest players that define manly, but the lack of a weakest

Buhrer's first half was poor, lots of penalties and no penetration. His penalties forced Toovey to take him off.

Second half was good though

I want to stay at Manly long term: Buhrer
By James Macsmith
AAP

8:05am Mon 17th March, 2014

Utility Jamie Buhrer says he wants to commit to Manly long term as the Sea Eagles continue to search for a solution to their NRL salary cap puzzle.

Read More

Daddycool08 said:
These guys got bagged by a lot of the fans last week.

Hiku going to the dogs, we should drop Buhrer etc.

You know who you are. :p

So what happened on Friday night?

. :D

What I said was Hiku goes OK and he will be an OK 1st grader. Nothing I saw on Friday night changes my opinion. He played a good 1st graders game and that is good enough.

But IMO he is not a Billy Slater, Greg Inglis, Brett Stewart, Minnie, Ben Barba, James Tedesco, Will Hopoate, Anthony Milford, Jared Haines, Sam Tonkins or thankfully Josh Duggan.

It was not a case of "bagging" Hiku, some of us just don't buy into the Greatest prospect ever madness, similar to the early great T-REX stupity.

Superstars are rare, lets just let this kid develop into a competent and talented !st Grade regular without the hype.

I was critical of Hiku after the Storm game but agreed he played well on Friday with a crucial offload. Not spectacularly (and let's face it his errors were spectacular the week before) and that's perhaps all that can be asked.
I have always liked Buhrer but am dismayed that he seems to be such a penalty target.
At full strength both would likely be bench utilities, so it could be an interesting choice between them.

Fluffy said:
Buhrer's first half was poor, lots of penalties and no penetration. His penalties forced Toovey to take him off.

I was actually thinking he had a better 2nd half than the 1st half.

I was also thinking he had a lot more game-time than he usually does so he seemed to fit into the side a bit better in the 2nd half.

Maybe just coming on in the second half doesn't allow him to get fully into the game. Just a thought.

Fluffy said:

g,day all,must of been watching a different game to me as ithought buhrer had a great game,his defence was superb against the big souths forwards alongside mattyb.As for the penalties yes hes amarked man as he seems to have attracted the attention of the referees which I cant understand as serial offenders such as smith and friend seem to get a lot more latitude than him.
cheers mike

Arko-admirer said:
I was critical of Hiku after the Storm game but agreed he played well on Friday with a crucial offload. Not spectacularly (and let's face it his errors were spectacular the week before) and that's perhaps all that can be asked.
I have always liked Buhrer but am dismayed that he seems to be such a penalty target.
At full strength both would likely be bench utilities, so it could be an interesting choice between them.

Not really, snakes legs have had it........ And chee kam will take Jamie's bench spot, or even symonds.... Snakes position is the one that needs the most attention, Jamie's off to parra I'd say.

THEY are the two “super subs” who have given the Sea Eagles’ premiership stocks a huge boost.

Fullback Peta Hiku and backrower Jamie Buhrer had big shoes to fill replacing injured stars Brett
Manly12001.jpg
and Glenn Stewart against South Sydney on Friday night.

And their pair proved to be two of the heroes in the gutsy 14-12 win at Central Coast Stadium.

Genuine contenders need players like that who can be relied upon when they get their opportunity.

“This is a quality team of quality team of quality players and even the players who came into the side to replace those who were injured went to another level,” said coach Geoff Toovey.

He said Buhrer did an exceptional job after getting a late call-up into the starting side when Glenn Stewart pulled out with a groin injury.

“He didn’t know he was playing until late in the afternoon which is always difficult to do,” Toovey said.

“He is not used to being an 80 minute player and he was just out on his feet and we had to replace him at the end there.”

Hiku also went into Friday’s game under plenty of pressure taking over from Brett Stewart who was in fine touch during the first half of the previous week’s game with the Storm

“Peta did a good job for us last year when Brett was out and he continued that form on Friday night,” Toovey said.

Not many people gave Manly a chance against the Rabbitohs, especially when Glenn Stewart joined his brother in the grandstand.

But hooker Matt Ballin said his team thrives when they are up against the wall.

“We love a challenge and those two guys are a massive part of our team, attacking wise and defensively as well,” Ballin said.

“I thought Peta Hiku did a great job and Jamie Buhrer on our right edge instead of ‘Gifty’ did an excellent job there as well.”

Brett Stewart is set to miss another week as he recovers from a hamstring injury but news was more positive abort Glenn ahead of Sunday’s game with Parramatta at Brookvale Oval.

“We are fairly positive he will be OK, he won’t run until later in the week and we will get a better indication then,” Toovey said.

“Glenn was close to playing (against Souths) and underwent a fitness test on the morning of the game.

“It was a bit tender and we just couldn’t take that risk with the injury toll we have got at the moment.”

Anthony Watmough was charged with a dangerous contact offence from the Souths match. If he pleads guilty he won’t miss a game.

Jon Geddes
Manly Daily

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/sea-eagles-super-subs-jamie-buhrer-and-peta-hiku-shine/story-fngr8iii-1226857244547

Related article:

Sea Eagles’ ‘super subs’ Jamie Buhrer and Peta Hiku shine

Jon Geddes
Manly Daily
March 17, 2014 4:58PM

THEY are the two “super subs” who have given the Sea Eagles’ premiership stocks a huge boost.

Fullback Peta Hiku and backrower Jamie Buhrer had big shoes to fill replacing injured stars Brett and Glenn Stewart against South Sydney on Friday night.

And their pair proved to be two of the heroes in the gutsy 14-12 win at Central Coast Stadium.

Read More

I'm not a Buhrer bagger - he's solid & covers a lot of positions & seems like a solid clubman and is whole hearted. But one line break & assist, as useful as it was on Friday night, doesn't alter the big picture.

The old issue with Buhrer is does he need to bulk up & offer more of a physical presence/impact ( cause he does get thrown around a bit at times ) or does he need to work on his agility/mobility and endurance and go totally the other way. I think he is an 80 minute player and in this new speeded up 2014 comp he can be useful endurance wise - if he had a regular spot, which he doesn't and wont have in 2014 ( injury notwithstanding).

As for Hiku - the guy can play and has shown that from day 1. Not as creative with his passing game as Brett ( but who is ). His kick returns and general effort in running the ball hard is 2nd to nobody. He's a keeper.

Hiku just on 9 News confirming Dogs approached his Manager. He says that he hasn't made a decision yet :s Not, 'I'm happy here...' :(

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8