Scott Penn to bail out Sea Eagles again as plans are prepared for $50m stadium

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
WTF - you left a couple of people out in your 'who saved the Club' tale.

Ken Arthurson ensured, prior to the JV with Norths, that the licence would revert to the Manly-Warringah club if the JV fell over. That is the key to everything that followed.

Sure Thomson played a role in getting Delmege on board as a sponsor, but the fact that Arthurson agreed to an injection of cash from the Leagues Club in 2003, but on the proviso that Magilla and his pal Vautin had to go, is the best indicator going that Thomson was a barely competent administrator. The guy was a former bankrupt ffs, how does a plumber go bankrupt? Oh and he was a bull**** artist as well. He told the board in 2002 that he had Preston Campbell's signature for the 2003 season and beyond, when he didn't. Campbell signed with Penrith instead.That did not go down well at board level and may well have been the beginning of the end for Ol' Mate Thomson.

The other man you left out was Paul Cummings, former boss of Fujitsu General Australia, who developed (in company with Scott Penn) the blueprint for the private ownership construct. Delmege, not wanting to be left out, then threw a spanner in the works and demanded to be part of that deal. We all know what eventually transpired. Cummings, through his contacts, got people like Joe Cross, a senior News Ltd executive on the board as well.

So please, nothing is ever as simple in recent Sea Eagles history as the idea that Ian Thomson and Max Delmege saved the joint. That's what they'd have you believe, but it's only part of the story. There is more of course, but you should go away and do your own research.

The way i understand the board works is this -

1 Chairman (appointed on a 75% board approval)
2 Directors appointed by Manly-Warringah Rugby League Football Club Limited
2 Directors appointed by Surfside/Quantum
2 Directors appointed by Penn Sport Pty Ltd
1 Director appointed by Manly-Warringah Rugby League Club Limited*

That means that there is equal representation from each of the owners and 1 member appointed from the leagues club.

I'm not sure how you get a rift between Quantum and Penn when there are 3 other members on thew board that represent other entities. Or how you can claim the earth will cave in if Penn fully controls the board because it just can't happen.

Phantar said:

Ken Arthurson ensured, prior to the JV with Norths, that the licence would revert to the Manly-Warringah club if the JV fell over. That is the key to everything that followed.

Sure Thomson played a role in getting Delmege on board as a sponsor, but the fact that Arthurson agreed to an injection of cash from the Leagues Club in 2003, but on the proviso that Magilla and his pal Vautin had to go, is the best indicator going that Thomson was a barely competent administrator. The guy was a former bankrupt ffs, how does a plumber go bankrupt? Oh and he was a bull**** artist as well. He told the board in 2002 that he had Preston Campbell's signature for the 2003 season and beyond, when he didn't. Campbell signed with Penrith instead.That did not go down well at board level and may well have been the beginning of the end for Ol' Mate Thomson.

The other man you left out was Paul Cummings, former boss of Fujitsu General Australia, who developed (in company with Scott Penn) the blueprint for the private ownership construct. Delmege, not wanting to be left out, then threw a spanner in the works and demanded to be part of that deal. We all know what eventually transpired. Cummings, through his contacts, got people like Joe Cross, a senior News Ltd executive on the board as well.

So please, nothing is ever as simple in recent Sea Eagles history as the idea that Ian Thomson and Max Delmege saved the joint. That's what they'd have you believe, but it's only part of the story. There is more of course, but you should go away and do your own research.

Good to hear your opinion phantar on stuff that I don't know enough about - I'll order more statues

Yes lets leave this issue alone til later after we've yelled ourselves hoarse from celebrating Manly's Grand Final victory!!

Funny thing was that I saw some of the Penn family outside the Leagues Club this afternoon looking at the new entrance to the first floor with what appearred to be builder and the architect - I guess there will soon be some commercial operation uo there starting soon

I think what the article lays bare is the untenable situation where a significant portion of the Board are all care and no responsibility. They impose their will and make decisions that they don't have to pay for.

The next elections for the FC will be interesting methinks.

The Wheel said:
Funny thing was that I saw some of the Penn family outside the Leagues Club this afternoon looking at the new entrance to the first floor with what appearred to be builder and the architect - I guess there will soon be some commercial operation uo there starting soon

Are you stalking them?

seriously theres alot that needs to be discussed but lets leave it to next week or the week after. Lets just enjoy our club making the GF

Phantar said:

Wow - yes much greater and more detailed knowledge than me - with a twist. You must have been really close to the action - maybe you still are? And in the well publicised Bozo camp that hates Paul Vautin and Ian Thomson. Love the gratuitous reference to Ian Thomson being a bankrupt. Couldn't help yourself could you? This is getting interesting.

WTF! said:
Phantar said:

Wow - yes much greater and more detailed knowledge than me - with a twist. You must have been really close to the action - maybe you still are? And in the well publicised Bozo camp that hates Paul Vautin and Ian Thomson. Love the gratuitous reference to Ian Thomson being a bankrupt. Couldn't help yourself could you? This is getting interesting.
Seriously pal let it go. I'd love to debate this with you but not this week. The focus should be about the team. Put your Cue in the rack on this subject and let's revisit it next week after we enjoy premiership no 8

Cambo said:
seriously theres alot that needs to be discussed but lets leave it to next week or the week after. Lets just enjoy our club making the GF
A Premiership won't make it go away. I'm just amused that someone would actually ascribe competence to Thompson and virtue to Vautin.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6