1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scott Penn q & A with Dean Ritchie

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Desert Boot Kid, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Desert Boot Kid

Desert Boot Kid Active Member

Ratings:
    +46 / 5
  2. Ron E. Gibbs

Ron E. Gibbs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,437 / 12
    "I don't want to put any undue pressure on anyone, but here's a ****load of undue pressure for everyone…"
    Inspirational leader, isn't he?
    (PS God, that designer stubble ****s me.)

• Like Like x 2
  3. anthonyb1965

anthonyb1965 GO Manly Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Canberra
    Ratings:
    +504 / 15
    Joe Kelly - Tooves has 2 years to run and we will be honouring that.
    Penn - If Manly fail badly this year, we will be having serious discussions.

So much smoke and mirrors. This truly is laughable now with Zorba running around stirring the pot.

• Like Like x 1
  4. anthonyb1965

anthonyb1965 GO Manly Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Canberra
    Ratings:
    +504 / 15
    And looks doubly stupid on an aging business man!

5. KaZa

KaZa Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 20
    well you can understand.. if we lose all the games this season.. we would all want him sacked. Its a results business.. so if he says we will honour his contract and lose every game by 40 and not sack him to stick to his word?

Noone is ever safe.

6. Andrew..

Andrew.. Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Alstonville
    Ratings:
    +1,899 / 27
    The interview you have when you don't want to answer any questions !

7. lsz

lsz Well-Known Member Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +3,647 / 66
    Penn: I don’t think it would be a sacking. Geoff is a life member and an integral part of our success. If we don’t have a good outcome this year, then we will be having some serious discussions. It’s too early to call any of that. We could win the next four and it’s a very different story.

First sentence is interesting - he would be forced out not sacked. As for the rest nothing much anyone did not know

8. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Full support of the board didn't last long for Tooves.

9. ManlyMagic

ManlyMagic Active Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0
    That's not going to happen!

We had our chance to get the wooden spoon when we were the northern Eagles we have NO chance of getting the wooden spoon now

• Like Like x 2
  10. KaZa

KaZa Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 20
    I know but im just saying.. thats why noone will come out and guarantee a job to anyone.

11. Baz

Baz Beaver's Headgear

Ratings:
    +263 / 2
    This does not crank up the pressure even slightly, I'm sure Tooves would be fully aware that if we didn't win another game this year that his job wouldn't be safe.

• Like Like x 2
  12. ManlyMagic

ManlyMagic Active Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0
    I agree

Toovey would handle this! Anyone that has played for their country their state captained a NRL team and played in grand finals and is now a coach can easily handle pressure! Toovey was born to lead.

The cream always rises to the top!

13. Eagleheart

Eagleheart Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Sydney
    Ratings:
    +1,264 / 40
    What a crock.........!

This article does nothing to help my confidence in our management, nothing at all. If anything it angers me.......!

Ritchie: Are the departures of Cherry-Evans and Foran a reflection on Toovey?

Penn: There are a series of arguments why they left. The fact is Kieran has a very strong relationship with Brad Arthur. It’s as simple as that. It doesn’t mean Kieran doesn’t respect Geoff.

Can Penn stop perpetuating this BS relationship with Kieran and BA. Ask Kieran, please Mr Penn, if he would still go to the slimey worms for $500,000 a year max, to be with his beloved BA. Seriously stop the crap Penn, take responsibility for your business and call it for what it is MONEY......he is going for the MONEY.

Seriously Penn's business management skills, seem so inept it is ludicrous to think he can mange anything successfully. I would not even trust him to run a chook raffle.

Anyway I will not pull apart the whole interview but what rubbish.

Penn is a muppet and I am getting more and more concerned for our club as the days go by.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,084 / 285
    "To my knowlege". It's a worry. That's a sign of a lie if I ever saw one, but maybe im just being over negative.

• Like Like x 1
  15. NewwyEagle

NewwyEagle I sleep in a racing car

Ratings:
    +1,174 / 59
    Geez some people have the knives out for the Penn's and Kelly no matter what they do. It's good of him to talk with Ritchie, he didn't have to, and he's not said anything negative.
    I think it's clear he does love Manly, he's had a crazy and disappointing start to his ownership, deserves to be criticised for some things that have happened but not lambasted for everything.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6,084 / 285
    Guess people are looking for some small sign of positivity since they took over.

Weve been regressing since that family took control

• Like Like x 1
  17. Loobs

Loobs I am not really Scott Penn Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,400 / 257
    Or Tooves would quit. He may see it's not working out and resign himself.

Really, if we have an utterly garbage year then yeah, talks SHOULD be had.

18. lsz

lsz Well-Known Member Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +3,647 / 66
  19. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    Ritchie: Scott, why is Manly running last?

Penn: Fair question. We certainly didn’t anticipate that we’d be in this position but we did know, with some significant early-season issues, that we could potentially do it tough for the first few rounds. We need fans to be patient.

Ritchie: Are we witnessing the demise of a great club?

Penn: No, I don’t believe so. We are seasoned campaigners when it comes to adversity. Everyone was doom and gloom after 2011 when Des Hasler moved on. We proved capable the next year and made the 2013 grand final.

Ritchie: Daly Cherry-Evans said he was “signed, sealed and delivered” under the previous management. He then claimed a revised offer under your watch was inferior and he left.

Penn: My understanding is that there wasn’t a reduced offer. We didn’t table an offer until the new management came in. There may have been discussions prior to that but nothing was ever tabled. The only formal offer I am aware of has come since (new CEO) Joe Kelly has been in the building.

[​IMG]
    We are a results-driven business. As long as Geoff performs and the team performs he is safe.

Scott Penn
    [​IMG]

Ritchie: Why would Cherry-Evans then say there a reduced offer?

Penn: There were discussions at a higher level with previous management and previous board members but, once again, it was just talk. Whether they could fulfil those discussions is a whole other story. And whether we could have fit it in the salary cap.

Ritchie: So, let’s clear this up. There was no formal offer to Cherry-Evans under the previous management?

Penn: As far as I’m aware, there was no formal offer. We even asked his manager (Gavin Orr) if there was a formal offer tabled. He was of the opinion there was but hasn’t been able to send us anything in writing. We are people of honour so if there was something in writing from the club then clearly we would have looked at it.

Ritchie: You said in The Daily Telegraph that Manly would have Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran signed by last Christmas. You regret those comments?

Penn: I was optimistic that we could. The market dynamics changed, there were a lot of halves coming off contract after 2015. At that time I thought it possible but with the ownership change it just wasn’t feasible.

[​IMG]
    Daly Cherry-Evans relationship with Manly fans has deteriorated since his decision to join Gold Coast.

Ritchie: Have you noticed Manly fans have turned on Cherry-Evans?

Penn: It was well documented that people didn’t necessarily like seeing him publicly going to other clubs. It is a free market and different players handle it differently. Different player managers handle it differently too.

Ritchie: Are the departures of Cherry-Evans and Foran a reflection on Toovey?

Penn: There are a series of arguments why they left. The fact is Kieran has a very strong relationship with Brad Arthur. It’s as simple as that. It doesn’t mean Kieran doesn’t respect Geoff.

Ritchie: Is Toovey’s future safe at the club?

Penn: We are a results-driven business. As long as he performs and the team performs he is safe.

Ritchie: Can you guarantee Toovey will be in charge until the end of 2016, when his contract expires?

Penn: It is impossible to guarantee anything at this point. If we don’t win another game this season then we are going to have some serious discussions. We are not in an ideal position right now. It doesn’t mean he is going anywhere but it means, it’s fair to say, that he and the team are under pressure. We are 1-4. We don’t want to be in that position. We need to win some games. I don’t want to put any undue pressure on anyone but the fact is we are a results-driven business and we need to win.

Ritchie: If results don’t pick up, could he be sacked this year?

Penn: I don’t think it would be a sacking. Geoff is a life member and an integral part of our success. If we don’t have a good outcome this year, then we will be having some serious discussions. It’s too early to call any of that. We could win the next four and it’s a very different story.

[​IMG]
    Some Manly fans are paying $32 a pop to sit on the grass at Brookvale Oval.

Ritchie: Why is it $32 to sit on the Brookvale hill?

Penn: We have very limited reserved seating.

Ritchie: It’s bloody expensive Scott.

Penn: It has been around that price for four or five years. Ticket prices are getting some scrutiny at the moment and we are working on improving our entertainment to make sure it’s a spectacle. Concerts now cost over $100.

Ritchie: That’s with a seat and roof over your head.

Penn: As long as we are delivering an entertaining product we hope we are giving value for money. We do also have family tickets that are less than $100.

Ritchie: I am asking you to name names here. Who didn’t want to re-sign Glenn Stewart?

Penn: Clearly we (Penn family) didn’t have control of the board at that stage. Four out of the seven directors (two from Manly football club, two from Quantum) didn’t want to offer a contract to Glenn.

Ritchie: Was it Quantum’s Phil Sidney who made the call?

Penn: Phil has said in the press he didn’t think we could fit Glenn under the salary cap. I was very vocal saying we needed to table an offer. For a long-serving player at the club, he deserved that.

Ritchie: You are related to Manly director Peter Peters. He certainly polarises opinion.

Penn: He is an enigma and been involved in the game over 40 years. He is a polarising character, some people love him, some hate him. But he a life member at Manly and is the reason we got involved. We are very passionate about the club and ‘Zorba’ has been there every step of the way.

Ritchie: Are the Brookvale Oval redevelopment plans fiction?

Penn: No, it has to happen. There are no guarantees but we need a world-class stadium.

Ritchie: Do you want to sign Sam Burgess?

Penn: It’s way too premature to make a call on that but we would certainly be interested.

20. Budgewoi Eagle

Budgewoi Eagle In for the long haul. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +4,015 / 52
    I cannot see the love for Manly anywhere here. He talks about it as a business many times in the interview. He talks about being involved solely BECAUSE of Zorba.

This really is my frustration with their ownership - there is not the Russell Crowe/Peter Holmes a Court PASSION for the TEAM. This is a business owner.

And it breaks my heart.

• Like Like x 3