Scoring points

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
yep.I think one of the newspapers did the analysis and snake is worth something like 17 points a game to Manly.

We are a great side because we can win tough and ugly without him but the physical toll it takes week in week out can hinder us at the back end.Last year was a prime example. Injuries virtually all year yet we made the GF even after that week 1 bashup.

The pinkies played a major part in the GF but I really think fatigue at the back end played a big part as well.Brett gives us the capacity to play slightly differently and avoid a few of the inevitable energy sapping dogfights that occur without him throughout the year.The most obvious stat is his tryscoring at Brookie.I am pretty sure no one is even close to his home strike rate since the NRL began in 98.

I think someone posted our incredible record of not being beaten by 13+ since the 2012 prelim.Would be interesting to see how many we have won by 13+ since then,especially those without Brett.Wouldnt be many I would think.

Talking about scoring points,
A field goal against the Roosters would've settled Manly down, & they would've played better football as a consequence.

As we all know, without Brett Stewart's brilliance, they seem a little lost in those situations.

How many points is Smith worth to the Storm? Must be close to 30.
Ditto Inglis to Souffs and Milford to Canberra.

I really hope I am wrong but.

I think we are seeing the last of Snake.

He is a great player but his body is letting him down.

It all started when he was wrongly suspended by Gallop. He missed four matches and then got seriously hurt and missed the rest of that season. We can only speculate what that 4 week lay off did to him. And to make matters worse it was all for naught.

He's never been really right since then.

Then to top it off he gets injured again and misses another season.

I've watched the old footage of Snake back in 2008 and he is not the same. Sigh!

susan said:
you must have missed RD 1 first half.Injury prone yes,but when he plays he is a weapon.

I watched round 1 - maybe you missed my words. "He is a great player but his body is letting him down."

It seems like Snake is the emperor's wife beyond reproach.

I hope I am wrong he is a great player but I think his best foot ball is behind him. He's never been the same since Gallop suspended him and he sustained the injury all those years ago. Who knows that those four weeks would have meant to his fitness and he may not have been injured if he played those games.

I would like nothing better than to see Snake at his best for a a prolonged time.

Ofcourse, his stats place him in the top 2 or 3 attack players to ever wear the Maroon & White. Fulton, Menzies, Snake, Eadie, Irvine. But he would have to be "considering" or contemplating what retirement might look like.
Even if not in a serious way, but the idea must be there, lurking.

In an earlier post i described a nightmare i had where there was his 'Retirement Announcement Press Conference' on Fox, with his Brother, his dad, 2V and full Media pack present.

But just as he was getting the words out at the microphone . . . . I WOKE UP. phew.

A lot of people seem to be talking about the merits of letting Snake go to keep Hiku interested given Snakes lack of games played. Waste of time even worrying about it.

He is contracted with us and I've no doubt he will see out a very lucrative contract even if he remains injury prone. No other club will take the injury risk for the big money he will be asking so the snake will be going nowhere and we are liable to pay his salary whether he plays or not. Why would he retire and give up 500 or 600k per year.

As such it is pointless worrying about it.If he is fit we pick him and enjoy the benefits he provides. If he is not fit we make do and still win plenty of games. Whether we keep Hiku will have nothing to do with Snake's salary as it is locked in regardless of injury, it will depend on how we manage our other off contract players to fit him in if the club believes he is essential.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
Ofcourse, his stats place him in the top 2 or 3 attack players to ever wear the Maroon & White. Fulton, Menzies, Snake, Eadie, Irvine. But he would have to be "considering" or contemplating what retirement might look like.
Even if not in a serious way, but the idea must be there, lurking.

In an earlier post i described a nightmare i had where there was his 'Retirement Announcement Press Conference' on Fox, with his Brother, his dad, 2V and full Media pack present.

But just as he was getting the words out at the microphone . . . . I WOKE UP. phew.

Yes. Players like Snake don't come around that often.

Will he be an immortal? :cool:

Brett Stewart is an immortal already.
Since
2007 25 games 19 tries Manly GF runners up to cheats
2008 24 games 22 tries Manly premiers
2009 5 games 6 tries Manly 5th
2010 1 game 0 try Manly 8th
2011 20 games 15 tries Manly premiers
2012 21 games 14 tries Manly 4th prelim final
2013 19 games 9 tries countless try assists Manly GF runners up to cheating scum Hayne
Since 2003
178 games 136 tries
18 finals games 14 tries
8 origins 5 tries
1 Test 1 try

While getting big points in a game is good, prefer the defence be ruthless & choke the opposition to death, especially against Roosters who would have loved a high scoring shoot out on Friday night.
Points will flow when the time is right.
Maybe a few options could have been better when attacking the Roosters in great field position but to see a team littered with attacking weapons get a net return of 0 was the real winner.
The games are a little uglier without Snake for good reason & those who mistake his ability as being inferior to 08 due to his loss of 5m pace are missing his massive influence from the back, constantly communicating in defence & the ability to chime in & set up his outside men adding an extra dimension in attack all day - makes those around him lift 10%....
Snake is not as good as he was in 08...he is better....unfortunately 1 more tough injury away from his last game.

I'm hoping this year is shaping like 2011
We lost rd 1 to Storm then won our next 7 in a row. Snake missed 6 games from rd3 to rd 12 then played all games thru to GF.
2014 copycat year to 2011.

The main point is that no one gave Manly a chance - aging roster, no depth, playing group split etc.

So far they have won 3.5 out of 4 :angel:

I think that Georgallis yelling at them on the field is good too. He does not edit 2v's messages, like the other guy did :p

All good in 2014 on the peninsular :)

mickqld said:
I'm hoping this year is shaping like 2011
We lost rd 1 to Storm then won our next 7 in a row. Snake missed 6 games from rd3 to rd 12 then played all games thru to GF.
2014 copycat year to 2011.

Yes please :)

As long as we score more points than the opposition I'm happy....lol..
More tries would be nice, and will come sooner or later...but geez, Snake is a unique talent.

If we could get a dozen games out of him like that first 40 v the Storm, we'd probly be minor premiers minimum.

Can't wait to have him back, but full credit to the guys filling in so far, too.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6